View Single Post
Old 05-12-2007, 10:10 AM   #33
PejaNowitzki
#1 Manute Bol Fan

PejaNowitzki is considered somewhat coolPejaNowitzki is considered somewhat coolPejaNowitzki is considered somewhat cool
Default Re: I'm tired of this "Nellie made Dirk" stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XxNeXuSxX
I predicted Warriors in five, no bandwagon or surprise from me.. other than Fab's surprisingly accurate predictions.

Well, lets take a look at the lineup of the "Nellie era" and determine this:

PG- Steve Nash
SG- Michael Finley
SF- Adrian Griffin/Antawn Jamison
PF- Dirk Nowitzsk
C- Sean Bradley/Raef Lafrentz

Now tell me again who out there is a good defender without laughing? Exactly, the Mavs were built then to do one thing: run. Nellie is the BEST at working with the talent he has and adjusting his style to go along with the team. Kind of the polar opposite of a Larry Brown.

The fact they lost lots of close games during the Nellie era was because they didn't have a single defender to put on the opposing star, whether it be Webber, Shaq, Bryant, or even Peja; no one on the roster had the ability of even containing these players.

At this point Dirk was still a project. He had talent: the ability to shoot and fadeaway over defenders. Nellie said right as stepped down as head coach that Dirk was finally entering his prime. Dirk learned how to rebound and play defense because of Nellie, not Avery or any other joke(Cuban? )

That's just simply not true. Nellie was working with the media proclaimed "bust" after his second year in the league. HE was the one that was developing him into the player. Ask Dirk himself, Avery didn't teach sh*t in his couple of years.

I also like the stereotype that Nellie's teams don't play d. That theory was just blown out of the water in the Mavs series don't you think? He had them shooting sub 40% much of the time. Again, he simply works with the talent he has and maximizes it.

Nellie had to go through tougher competition for another thing.

That's just laughable. A coach that doesn't know how to make adjustments or simply compete with faster paced teams is supposed to "win" the finals?

No.

That is so true. The Mavs today, are nothing like the Mavs when Nelson was coaching. There is what....one or two players remaining from that team? With a unit like the guys the Mavs have now, I'm sure Nelson would have gotten them at least into the Conference Finals.

Nelson is a superior coach, Avery is the lucky lotto winner who stumbled upon a team with a franchise player entering his prime. Throw in the drafting of Josh Howard and getting rid of some of the dead weight, and its no surprise to see them improve, but how much did they really improve under Avery?

A. Get knocked out by the Suns
B. Choke, get knocked out by the Heat
C. Big Choke, knocked out by the 8th seed

Is that supposed to be improvement, especially considering how much more playoff ready the lineup is.

Last edited by PejaNowitzki : 05-12-2007 at 10:13 AM.
PejaNowitzki is offline   Reply With Quote