View Single Post
Old 01-26-2013, 01:38 AM   #45
fpliii
NBA All-star

fpliii is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfpliii is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfpliii is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfpliii is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfpliii is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfpliii is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfpliii is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfpliii is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfpliii is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfpliii is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfpliii is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: Karl Malone on Dan Patrick Show "Charles is the 3d Best PF, Duncan is a Center...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whoah10115
Petit? OOOOH. I don't know about all that. You have Dirk #7, I'd assume? That's a bit low.

Dirk is a positionless guy to me based on his skillset. If I had to call him a PF, he'd be top 20 all-time and probably right behind KG (who is also relatively positionless in skillset, but his dominant traits resemble traditional bigs more than Dirk's).

I do believe this. Duncan should be ranked at PF tho. The problem is not that but that a lot of people argue that he isn't a natural C. I don't understand that. I hear talk of his ball-handling, how athletic and quick and agile he was. Robinson had more of all those physical qualities and could handle the ball just as well!

If anything, from watching the Twin Tower Spurs (given I didn't get to see more than a handful of games of them a year outside of the playoffs, since I'm from the NYC area and online streams weren't big yet) Duncan was more of a traditional center (yes he could hit the bank shot, but he was a back-to-the-basket guy largely from my recollection...the Admiral faced up a lot).

Garnett is way ahead of McHale.

Agreed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Round Mound
KG over Barkley, McHale and Malone?

Funny....

I have KG right after the West/Robertson/Moses/LeBron/Dr. J tier on my GOAT list. His impact on defense/rebounding was nuts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaRegul8r
Pettit gets forgotten in these discussions.

The standard era-based factors that dominate this site aside, it's really hard pegging guys from the 50s especially to one of PG, SG, SF, PF, C. Though there's always been some fudging of positions, Pettit actually made an All-NBA team at center (I believe it was during the championship season). From what I've read while dumping box scores/articles, there were three variants on positional designations back then:

1. (prevalent) g/g/c/f/f
2. (relatively common from the NBL through the mid-60s) lg/rg/c/lf/rf (left and right guards/forwards)
3. (rare) offensive guard, defensive guard, offensive forward, defensive forward, center

so as I've said, it's more of an art than a science IMO. If I had to say so though, from the books/articles/tape/stats I've taken in, Pettit would likely be considered a PF in today's game (based on skillset/playstyle).
fpliii is offline   Reply With Quote