View Single Post
Old 01-17-2013, 04:05 AM   #5
lakerfreak
The go-to-guy

lakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: Start Earl Clark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Dogg
That's a fair assessment lakerfreak, and while those points are highly valid, I do think that in the "team" environment, if Pau coming off the bench and anchoring the 2nd unit is going to make us more competitive and get us more wins, regardless of how long he has been here or how much he gets paid he should be open to it as a professional and team player.

If Clark starts, for one, it makes us a little more athletic transition wise, faster defensively and will provide much better floor spacing in the beginning of a game, therefore allowing us to potentially control the tempo of the game and allow Dwight space to establish himself on the low post early, probably then engaging him more in the game and creating interest from him offesively as well as defensively.

With Hill now gone, Pau can then play the low block with the 2nd unit and occasionally play in tandem with Howard depending on matchups, this will probably allow him more low post looks and pick and roll options with him being the only real big on court at the time, I'm sure Nash will be playing a bit with the 2nd unit as well to control the game tempo so I think there is more flexibility for Pau this way.

I really do think there is merit in Clark starting and Gasol having his role changed a little for the benefit of the team, but again, this is just my opinion, I'm happy to be proven wrong but after viewing the few games since Pau has been out with concussion, I agree with kkinchen and think we should continue on as we are as we seem to have momentum behind us.

Nothing else has worked for us so far so we may as well throw caution to the wind and go with what has been working for us, that's just my view anyway.

After reading this, I would concur under the condition of how Pau could contribute coming off the bench. If we are relying on him to be a quick points type of guy, it wont work. If he is coming off the bench however to be a facilitator for these other good shooters, and will grab rebounds and other wonderful things, then yes it could possibly work.

I think we can both agree that Clark will come in and do well whether he starts or comes off the bench. His style of play is always the same regardless of who is on the court with him. He reminds me of a trevor ariza with a consistent jump-shot.

But going back to Pau Gasol here, we have all seen D'Antoni maintain the same style of coaching whether we struggled or not. In that scenario in my humble opinion, Pau Gasol will always want what he cannot have consistently. A good 10 plays a game where he can post up. I don't see him getting that opportunity. His great passing also comes from post play. If D'Antoni won't alter his style just a little bit, I don't see any way that Gasol can be an "OK" fit even. Not unless he masters a jumpshot. But hey, who aside from Kobe has ever improved their game during this stage in their careers?
lakerfreak is offline   Reply With Quote