View Single Post
Old 11-19-2012, 01:43 PM   #26
iamgine

iamgine has an incredible reputation hereiamgine has an incredible reputation hereiamgine has an incredible reputation hereiamgine has an incredible reputation hereiamgine has an incredible reputation hereiamgine has an incredible reputation here
Default Re: I'm still young to the game... why do you have to hold the ball...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rake2204
Well, you make an interesting point, but I feel the middle finger developed an intended connotation throughout history. At some point, it was established in our culture that a person flipping someone off was an intended insult so the receiver of such a sign likely has to distinguish whether the intention is consistent with its history.

For instance, if I cut someone off in traffic and that person flips me off, I know what it means and they know what it means. They flip me off because their intention is to insult or object to my actions. On the contrary, if a baby flips me off because they're fascinated by their own developing motor function, I know what it can mean, but I understand an insult is likely not what that baby intended. More times than not though, if there's a confrontation of some kind and a middle finger is raised, the person using that finger is doing so with full intent of insulting the other party.

In the case of an end-of-game dunk, I'd venture to say most often, there's no ill will intended for the opposition, it's just players getting out and playing the game. They're dunking because it's fun, not because they're trying to piss off and offend the other team. As such, I think it's shortsighted for the opponent to always assume the worst case scenario.

I think the Lillard dunk is the perfect scenario. He just dunked. That's it. He didn't even do a fancy dunk (of which I'd still accept). He scored a random couple of points and the game ended. I think there's absolutely no reason this shouldn't have been a non-issue. Lillard should have slammed, the announcers should have maybe mentioned it, or maybe just kept wrapping the game up, "And so a quick bucket there and this one's just about in the books, the Blazers will take it..." and both teams should have retired to their respective locker rooms, more concerned with the other 47 minutes and 55 seconds of the game.
What if you don't know and just start flipping everyone cause it's fun? Then afterwards someone told you that in American culture, it's not nice to do it. That's basically what happened to Lillard.
iamgine is offline   Reply With Quote