View Single Post
Old 11-06-2012, 06:52 PM   #3
idizzle
Good college starter

idizzle has a terrific reputationidizzle has a terrific reputationidizzle has a terrific reputationidizzle has a terrific reputationidizzle has a terrific reputation
Default Re: Rodney Stuckey looking like crap early in season

Stuckey Must Overcome Shooting Slump

Through three games, Rodney Stuckey has been the biggest disappointment in the league. If the Detroit Pistons want to remain competitive in the Eastern Conference this season, they’ll need Stuckey to play at a high level. One week into the season, that’ hasn’t happened. Stuckey has missed 22 of his 23 shot attempts for the winless Pistons. That’s right: Stuckey is shooting 4.3 percent from the field.

“Obviously he’s struggled,” Lawrence Frank said of Stuckey. “We need him to play better. He’s been dealing with some physical problems, but we need better from everyone. Look, in the first two games obviously we did some good things to at least have a lead in those games but tonight it was a TKO.”

Migraines have limited Stuckey’s minutes and production. However, he blames the move to shooting guard for his struggles. Last year, he backed up Brandon Knight and played a lot of minutes at the one. Now, he’s no longer the Pistons’ main ballhandler when he’s on the floor, playing off the ball instead. He hasn’t been able to adjust and hopes to move back to the role he played last year.

“I feel like I’m not in a rhythm at all,” Stuckey told David Mayo of mlive.com. “I just feel like last year, I was having the ball in my hands, being able to create, [and play in] transition. Coming in [during] the second quarter [when Brandon Knight went to the bench last year], being the point guard, and being able to use my post position on smaller guards, I just feel like I’m not using that right now.

“Hopefully, we’ll make some changes and we’ll see what happens. There’s a lot of basketball still to be played. I’ll find my rhythm, though. I know I’m struggling. But I’ll find my rhythm.

“I’m just in the corner a lot more, just watching, instead of out there creating, and stuff like that. But we’ll figure it out. We still have a lot of basketball to be played.”

Tayshaun Prince acknowledged that Stuckey needs to be more aggressive but added that he and his teammates need to do a better job of getting the guard involved.

“Whenever a player is struggling, whether it’s shooting the ball or not doing what they usually do, it’s up to the team and our coaching staff to get involved and try to find a way for him to get out of it,” Prince said. “We’ve got to do a better job of that.”

While it sounds like Stuckey wants to move back to point guard, Frank isn’t sure if that’s the right decision. Rather than making drastic changes after three games, he wants to give Stuckey more time at shooting guard and see if he can be effective after playing his way out of this slump.

“My thing is this, I know Rodney’s going to play a whole lot better,” Frank said. ”I have full confidence that he will. So, to me, it will turn. It’s always easiest to make knee-jerk reactions when either your group or certain individuals are down. It takes courage to stand by your convictions.”
idizzle is offline   Reply With Quote