Quote Originally Posted by AlphaWolf24
    I said "best player of his generation"

meaning the 00's generation..

it is the same thing.

example:

80's generation = Magic / Bird

90's = MJ

00's = Kobe
    No, it's not the same thing. Generation usually references draft classes, just as in sociological terms, it refers to a period of years in which you were born.

Being the best of your generation, and the best of a decade, is not entirely the same.

Default Re: Kobe in media day: "it's my team"

Quote Originally Posted by BlackVVaves
    No, it's not the same thing. Generation usually references draft classes, just as in sociological terms, it refers to a period of years in which you were born.

Being the best of your generation, and the best of a decade, is not entirely the same.
    How would one define a generation ?

Quote Originally Posted by Legends66NBA7
    How would one define a generation ?
    It's usually listed as 20-22 years, or somewhere in that ball-park.

Samurai Swoosh

Quote Originally Posted by DatAsh
    Agreed. That is what a generation is ...

If we're naming best players of the decade, I don't even think it's that cut and dry for Kobe.

Much like the 80's is split between Bird and Magic, same goes for the 00's. The 00's is actually arguably between three players.

80s: Bird / Magic
    90s: Jordan
    00s: Shaq / Duncan / Kobe
    10s: Bron

Well, looked it up myself:

the term of years, roughly 30 among human beings, accepted as the average period between the birth of parents and the birth of their offspring.
    So it's not even been close yet to either definition. I just thought it was different in terms of sport.

Given yours and the definition look up... let's just say 25 years, for the hell of it. I'd rather stick to decades though.

Well, looked it up myself:

So it's not even been close yet to either definition. I just thought it was different in terms of sport.

Given yours and the definition look up... let's just say 25 years, for the hell of it. I'd rather stick to decades though.
    Don't know where you got your source, but if it's somewhat reputable I would go with what it says. My answer wasn't scientific by any means - just the number I generally hear with regards to a generation.
    Last edited by DatAsh; 10-02-2012 at 06:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Money 23
    I agree with this.

Pre-modern era would probably be something like:

50s: Mikan / Pettit
    60s: Russell / Wilt
    70s: Kareem

Don't know where you got your source, but if it's somewhat refutable I would go with what it says. My answer wasn't scientific by any means - just the number I generally hear with regards to a generation.
    Oh okay, I just wanted two sources for a number.

I got it here:

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/generation

Samurai Swoosh

I agree with this.

Pre-modern era would probably be something like:

50s: Mikan / Pettit
    60s: Russell / Wilt
    70s: Kareem
    I don't know much of the game pre Bird / Magic (the birth of modern era) but I have read about it, and sounds about right. But wouldn't Oscar be thrown into the 60s, and West / Baylor into the 70s as well? I think there is a few players that can be thrown in the conversation.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer tpols's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcastic
    A decade and a generation are not the same thing. Had you said Kobe was the best player of the 2000s, then I would agree with you.
    I think you have to separate a basketball generation from the real life generation. It makes no sense to lump kobe and Bron into the same time period as bird magic and Kareem with everyone in between. There have been several distinct eras or 'generations' in the nba that usually go by the turns of the decade. It's semantixs

Quote Originally Posted by BlackVVaves

- I'm talking about sports...not social construct.

- since the average career of an athlete is probably under 5 years...a decade in sports represents a Generation

- again...in basketball generational speaking...

80's generation = Magic/Bird...by Dr.J , Kareem ,Isiah , Nique,King Dantley etc.

90's generation = MJ , Hakeem ,Robinson , Drexler , Malone , Barkley , PippenStockton etc.

00's generation = Kobe , Duncan , Shaq , TMAC , AI, Vince, Wade Lebron etc.

- social Generations and sports generations are two very different things

- By your Criteria...Kobe and AI would be the same generation as Magic and Bird...wich according to all of the basketball community is 100% wrong!
    Last edited by AlphaWolf24; 10-02-2012 at 06:28 PM.

Agreed. That is what a generation is ...

If we're naming best players of the decade, I don't even think it's that cut and dry for Kobe.

Much like the 80's is split between Bird and Magic, same goes for the 00's. The 00's is actually arguably between three players.

no it's nt...

Kobe was voted by a wide margin ( it wasn't close) as the greatest player of the 00's.

If a player overwhemingly gets voted as the greatest by the majority of the fanbase....and YOU say it's still arguable...then that means no matter what ( any decade) it's arguable.

I don't know much of the game pre Bird / Magic (the birth of modern era) but I have read about it, and sounds about right. But wouldn't Oscar be thrown into the 60s, and West / Baylor into the 70s as well? I think there is a few players that can be thrown in the conversation.
    I would agree with them as well, but Russell and Wilt really put the NBA on the local map with their rivalry.

Along with winning 8 of the 10 MVP's in the 60's (both 4 each) and leading all-time great teams to titles, I think the choice is easily Bill and Wilt for the 60's, while Oscar gets overshadowed. I wouldn't mind him being mentioned though.

West and Baylor would be 60's too (Honorable mentions), as they were on the down side after like 1971.

For the 70s, Dr.J, Rick Barry, Willis Reed, Walt Fraizer, Wes Unseld, Elvin Hayes, John Havlicek (he better seasons in the 70s, than 60s), Dave Cowens, Moses Malone, etc... Lot of great names there too, but Kareem was that much above them, dominating with 5 MVP's (most in one decade).

Samurai Swoosh

Quote Originally Posted by AlphaWolf24
    Kobe was voted by a wide margin ( it wasn't close) as the greatest player of the 00's.
    PLEASE ...

Lots of dumb casual fans vote on those type of things. And we all know the sizable Laker fan community in Cali, chalk full of soccer playing, grass mowing, low ryder driving basketball fans (if you get my drift) who would obviously be as biased as China voting in Yao Ming, or Jeremy Lin into this year's all-star game.

Obviously Kobe is among the best of the decade, but among knowledgable people, it isn't that cut and dry in his favor. But for Shaq and Duncan to be left out of the conversation shows your ridiculous fan boy bias, and bias logic.

No one in this decade dominated the way Shaq did in the early 2000's. Duncan was amazing, and very consistent ... carrying his franchise for virtually the entire decade (Kobe can't even make that claim) cause Kobe didn't become lead dog on the Lakers until 2005, and the decade ends after the 2009 season.

Shaq dominated from 2000 - 2005 / 2006 ish

5 title runs, 3 rings, 1 MVP

Duncan dominated from 2000 - 2008
    3 title runs, 3 rings, 1 MVP

Kobe dominated from 2001 - 2009
    5 title runs, 4 rings, 1 MVP

It's not like he dominated enough to be named the CLEAR cut individual talent of the decade, along with resume / team success.

Only one singular athlete of a decade did that ... and that was MJ.

6 title runs, 6 rings, 4x MVPs

And he sat out two seasons of his prime / peak

You're talking gaga once again, with your Laker dildo planted firmly in cheek. Shame on you as a basketball head for leaving both Shaq and Duncan out the equation.

Quote Originally Posted by tpols
    I think you have to separate a basketball generation from the real life generation.
    yep. A real life generation is based on people living a certain length of time usually in excess of 60 years. In a sport like the NBA where the average career is 5 to 7 years a NBA generation will be much much shorter than in real life.