Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   NBA Forum (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Is a consistent playoff team fun to root for? (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=314137)

chips93 10-14-2013 04:40 PM

Is a consistent playoff team fun to root for?

i just read that the hawks and celtics are the only teams to have made the playoffs in the east the last 6 years in a row, and with the celtics likely tanking, the hawks could easily make it 7 in a row, and the longest streak in the east.

despite this, people often talk about the hawks being poorly run, having little upside, and how they are never a real threat in the playoffs.

but is this kind of model satisfying for fans? would you rather your team took a route like the hawks, produced consistently winning team, or a team that bottoms out and has the potential to be the thunder, or the bobcats?

people shit on the hawks a lot, but id say a lot of fans would have enjoyed watching them these last couple years, over a lot of other teams in the league, over that stretch

tmacattack33 10-14-2013 04:44 PM

Re: Is a consistent playoff team fun to root for?

I'd take like 5 bad seasons and 2 great seasons over 7 mediocre seasons.

So basically I'll take what the Sonics/Thunder did from 2004 to 2011 over what Atlanta did from 2005 to 2012

bdreason 10-14-2013 04:44 PM

Hawks have put a solid product on the floor for awhile now... Atlanta fans just don't give a fukc. I don't think they could fill the arena even if the Hawks signed LeBron James.

East_Stone_Ya 10-14-2013 04:47 PM

spurs fans where you at?

Qwyjibo 10-14-2013 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tmacattack33
I'd take like 5 bad seasons and 2 great seasons over 7 mediocre seasons.

So basically I'll take what the Sonics/Thunder did from 2004 to 2011 over what Atlanta did from 2005 to 2012

+1

Constant mediocrity is the worst place to be. What fun is there knowing that your team's absolute best case scenario is a 2nd round appearance and nothing more?

I'd be furious if I was a Bucks fan right now because that looks like their team's goal. As a Raptors fan, I'm dreading that as the Raptors future as well.

chips93 10-14-2013 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bdreason
Hawks have put a solid product on the floor for awhile now... Atlanta fans just don't give a fukc. I don't think they could fill the arena even if the Hawks signed LeBron James.

you're a warriors fan right?

the dubs have been up and down over the last 6 years, would you rather have been a hawks fan over that time?

(not suggesting you should just become a bandwagon fan, lets say parallel-universe-shit, where you're a hawks fan)

HurricaneKid 10-14-2013 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Qwyjibo
I'd be furious if I was a Bucks fan right now because that looks like their team's goal. As a Raptors fan, I'm dreading that as the Raptors future as well.

As a Bucks fan I think you are giving our FO too much credit. We have one second round appearance in the last 26 years.

Which is why I get mad at Atl fans whining about how they had no shot at making winning a title. They were built to go deep. They just couldn't compete against the combined might of LBJ and the Big 3. No shame in that. Just an injury or two and they could have made a healthy run.

chips93 10-14-2013 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HurricaneKid
As a Bucks fan I think you are giving our FO too much credit. We have one second round appearance in the last 26 years.

Which is why I get mad at Atl fans whining about how they had no shot at making winning a title. They were built to go deep. They just couldn't compete against the combined might of LBJ and the Big 3. No shame in that. Just an injury or two and they could have made a healthy run.

did you post in the OTC about teaching english in asia a couple months ago? or am i getting you mixed up?

Rake2204 10-14-2013 05:34 PM

I definitely think I'd prefer a team that'd have a chance to make a championship run at some point, even if it means there has to be a few years down in the dumps.

As a Pistons fan, I feel it's all been worth it over the years. They've been terrible lately but man, when they won that ring in '04 (and competed for a few others), I feel as though I'm set for life.

In contrast, there were a few seasons during Grant Hill's tenure where the Pistons felt current Hawks-ish. In the mid- to late 90's we tended to know the Pistons were going to be a pretty solid ball club, but no one really kidded themselves into believing they'd be competing for a ring, even if they were racking up 50+ wins in the regular season.

TheReturn 10-14-2013 05:46 PM

Tough call to make, it really depends on the fans as well. If you have passionate fans and you play on the Hawks level of the last 6 years, you're doing alright I guess. Especially if you look at what some other teams have been doing during that same time.

CelticBaller 10-14-2013 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chips93
i just read that the hawks and celtics are the only teams to have made the playoffs in the east the last 6 years in a row, and with the celtics likely tanking, the hawks could easily make it 7 in a row, and the longest streak in the east.

despite this, people often talk about the hawks being poorly run, having little upside, and how they are never a real threat in the playoffs.

but is this kind of model satisfying for fans? would you rather your team took a route like the hawks, produced consistently winning team, or a team that bottoms out and has the potential to be the thunder, or the bobcats?

people shit on the hawks a lot, but id say a lot of fans would have enjoyed watching them these last couple years, over a lot of other teams in the league, over that stretch

Judging by their empty seats, no

Dr. Ice 10-14-2013 07:40 PM

Yes, yes it is. As much as i may dislike the hawks' averageness, there is no way in hell i'd want us to go back to the early 2000's where we could barely win 15 games

Legends66NBA7 10-14-2013 08:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HurricaneKid

Yeah, no shame in facing the... wait...

They lost to a Chicago Bulls team with the best record in the East and the reigning MVP, COTY, and a very deep overall team in 2011. They lost to a veteran Boston Celtics squad in 2012. And then they lost to the Indiana Pacers, a very grind it out defensive unit team.

The farthest they ever made since the big 3 showed up in Miami is the 2nd round... and they never faced LBJ and the Big 3 from 11-13, so what are you going on about ? They never made the Finals and had anywhere near a shot to the title because they weren't good enough, period, injuries or not.

Dr. Ice 10-14-2013 10:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Legends66NBA7
Yeah, no shame in facing the... wait...

They lost to a Chicago Bulls team with the best record in the East and the reigning MVP, COTY, and a very deep overall team in 2011. They lost to a veteran Boston Celtics squad in 2012. And then they lost to the Indiana Pacers, a very grind it out defensive unit team.

The farthest they ever made since the big 3 showed up in Miami is the 2nd round... and they never faced LBJ and the Big 3 from 11-13, so what are you going on about ? They never made the Finals and had anywhere near a shot to the title because they weren't good enough, period, injuries or not.

Against the bulls we had no hinrich but besides that we lost fair and square, against the celtics we didnt have our best player in al horford(also josh got hurt near the beginning of the series), and against the pacers we were easily the most injured team in the playoffs(still cant believe we had to put johan freakin petro as our starting center :facepalm ).

Legends66NBA7 10-14-2013 11:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr. Ice
Against the bulls we had no hinrich but besides that we lost fair and square, against the celtics we didnt have our best player in al horford(also josh got hurt near the beginning of the series), and against the pacers we were easily the most injured team in the playoffs(still cant believe we had to put johan freakin petro as our starting center :facepalm ).

Even so, I don't see the Hawks making the Finals and winning a title. Joe Johnson is too damn inconsistent, Smith makes too many bone-headed plays, and they have never had a consistent threat at the point either.

Al Horford would have to be playing better than his best basketball from April onwards and it just wouldn't happen.

I actually feel ya on the back up centers. I remember Erik Dampier even getting some burn in 2012.