Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   NBA Forum (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Anyone know why Byron Mullens started shooting 3's? (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=314122)

yobore 10-14-2013 11:32 AM

Anyone know why Byron Mullens started shooting 3's?
 
Attempted 1 in his college career, did not attempt a 3 in his first 2 NBA seasons, and suddenly he became an extreme chucker. What happened? Why did the Bobcats try to turn a guy with no range into a 3 point specialist?

2LeTTeRS 10-14-2013 11:44 AM

Re: Anyone know why Byron Mullens started shooting 3's?
 
Wasn't the Bobcats fault here. Mullens decided to expand his range because he could not score in any other ways at the NBA level.

At the college level he got most his points by finishing at the basket over smaller players and has not been able to get those same looks as an NBA player. Even back in his college days he only managed to get about 3 possessions or so per game with his back to the basket and was not able to score effectively when he did get the ball (less than 1 point per possession).

So he started working on his jump-shot. His first few months as a Bobcat he could not miss a long 2 or 3 pointer, and he got overconfident in the shot. Got to the point that we chose to play guys like Josh McRoberts over him because he literally contributed nothing but chucking long jumpers.

yobore 10-14-2013 11:47 AM

Re: Anyone know why Byron Mullens started shooting 3's?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by 2LeTTeRS
Wasn't the Bobcats fault here. Mullens decided to expand his range because he could not score in any other ways at the NBA level.

At the college level he got most his points by finishing at the basket over smaller players and has not been able to get those same looks as an NBA player. Even back in his college days he only managed to get about 3 possessions or so per game with his back to the basket and was not able to score effectively when he did get the ball (less than 1 point per possession).

So he started working on his jump-shot. His first few months as a Bobcat he could not miss a long 2 or 3 pointer, and he got overconfident in the shot. Got to the point that we chose to play guys like Josh McRoberts over him because he literally contributed nothing but chucking long jumpers.

Cool thanks that it explains it. His 2pt FG% was indeed abysmal, I'd just never heard of anyone suddenly trying to develop range so suddenly

#number6ix# 10-14-2013 01:21 PM

Re: Anyone know why Byron Mullens started shooting 3's?
 
He's a soft 7 foot tall unatheletic center that can't score consistantly down low with poor defense... It was either become a floor spacing three point treat or a burger flipper

therammingman 10-14-2013 01:27 PM

Re: Anyone know why Byron Mullens started shooting 3's?
 
because there are no 4s

ralph_i_el 10-14-2013 01:58 PM

Re: Anyone know why Byron Mullens started shooting 3's?
 
because even if he shoots a pretty low percentage from 3 it's still a more efficient shot for him than everywhere else on the floor.

Quizno 10-14-2013 01:59 PM

Re: Anyone know why Byron Mullens started shooting 3's?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by #number6ix#
He's a soft 7 foot tall unatheletic center that can't score consistantly down low with poor defense... It was either become a floor spacing three point treat or a burger flipper

he's extremely athletic, he just doesn't use it well.

here's a video of him dunking over lamarcus aldridge's life

jamal99 10-14-2013 02:05 PM

Re: Anyone know why Byron Mullens started shooting 3's?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Quizno
he's extremely athletic, he just doesn't use it well.

here's a video of him dunking over lamarcus aldridge's life

Between the legs

bdreason 10-14-2013 02:14 PM

Re: Anyone know why Byron Mullens started shooting 3's?
 
Because he played for one of the worst teams in the history of the NBA, and the coach let him.

Darius 10-14-2013 02:16 PM

Re: Anyone know why Byron Mullens started shooting 3's?
 
Apparently Doc Rivers wants him to do the exact same thing.

He is one of those dudes who's shot looks really good/smooth but doesn't seem to go in as much as it looks like it should.

I hope he keeps at it and can start hitting at least 35% tho... stretch 5 is a valuable guy to have off the bench, gives a lot of flexibility.

chips93 10-14-2013 02:26 PM

Re: Anyone know why Byron Mullens started shooting 3's?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by yobore
Cool thanks that it explains it. His 2pt FG% was indeed abysmal, I'd just never heard of anyone suddenly trying to develop range so suddenly


fwiw before he got to college, hos shooting touch was supposedly one of his strengths

i think he has apparently had the potential to be a good shooter since high school

DuMa 10-14-2013 02:31 PM

Re: Anyone know why Byron Mullens started shooting 3's?
 
Mullens is pure trash. I cant think of a reason why this guy has a stable NBA job besides the fact he is 7 foot tall

senelcoolidge 10-14-2013 03:24 PM

Re: Anyone know why Byron Mullens started shooting 3's?
 

There is a better angle. He feeds Aldridge nuts. But yeah he's very soft. He's like a guard in a 7 footers body.

Crown&Coke 10-14-2013 04:58 PM

Re: Anyone know why Byron Mullens started shooting 3's?
 
the better question is why he got the B and the J tattooed over on his forearms.

Those tats were pure gold

Qwyjibo 10-14-2013 05:00 PM

Re: Anyone know why Byron Mullens started shooting 3's?
 
Because Andrea Bargnani was given a $50 million contract.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:54 PM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy