Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   NBA Forum (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   What if the NBA didn't allow players to take paycuts? (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=310839)

LosBulls 08-21-2013 12:24 AM

What if the NBA didn't allow players to take paycuts?

Would it be better for the league if say they made contract signings play out like auctions where the highest bidder wins?

I think it would be great for spreading around the talent in the league. Say a guy like LeBron James is a free agent and a good team offers him 15mil but then a team like the Bobcats offers him 16m then the previous team has to either up their offer or let him go to the Bobcats.

Now ofcourse, If both teams offer the max then its his choice where to go but then the team which picks him up probably won't be able to afford a max contract player.

Wade-Bron-Bosh would of never happened.

The league would of been way more rounded out, and who knows, the lockout probably wouldn't of happened either because Small Market teams would be happy since they have a chance to pick up good players.

Its unfair for teams like the Bobcats and the Wizards because they have no chance at luring in good free agents.

What you guys think?

CeltsGarlic 08-21-2013 12:29 AM

Re: What if the NBA didn't allow players to take paycuts?

No freaking way. Giving all the powers to owners would mess this league up.

Trollsmasher 08-21-2013 12:31 AM

LosBulls 08-21-2013 12:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trollsmasher

Apr 2013
Name: Trollsmasher

Nice life.

daily 08-21-2013 12:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LosBulls
Apr 2013
Name: Trollsmasher

Nice life.

Just ignore him. The only troll he's smashed is his own thumb with a hammer

daily 08-21-2013 12:47 AM

Quote:

Would it be better for the league if say they made contract signings play out like auctions where the highest bidder wins?

I think it would be great for spreading around the talent in the league. Say a guy like LeBron James is a free agent and a good team offers him 15mil but then a team like the Bobcats offers him 16m then the previous team has to either up their offer or let him go to the Bobcats.

Now ofcourse, If both teams offer the max then its his choice where to go but then the team which picks him up probably won't be able to afford a max contract player.

Wade-Bron-Bosh would of never happened.

The league would of been way more rounded out, and who knows, the lockout probably wouldn't of happened either because Small Market teams would be happy since they have a chance to pick up good players.

Its unfair for teams like the Bobcats and the Wizards because they have no chance at luring in good free agents.

What you guys think?

I think there would be a problem with aging players and or under performing players. It's an OK concept if you want to curb collusion between the players but that's not so big a problem you'd want to create a rule just to curb that. It kinda sets a false market because the only way for salaries is up.

Trollsmasher 08-21-2013 12:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daily
Just ignore him. The only troll he's smashed is his own thumb with a hammer

Speak for yourself, impractical basement boy.

LosBulls 08-21-2013 01:27 AM

Quote:

Speak for yourself, impractical basement boy.

Fictional comebacks don't really have the impact you wish them to have in your head. All you have to do is compare the time i've been here with the time you've been here and our postcount to figure out whos more likely to live in a basement.

You save other men's pictures on your computer and not only that but you name your self "Troll". Then on top of that you're supposedly a fan of the Miami Heat.

To me it seems like if you have too much time on your hands so you come on an online messageboard to get reactions out of people.

Evaluate your life before making your next post, otherwise you'll just end up making yourself look like a dumbass once again, dickhead.

Sarcastic 08-21-2013 02:27 AM

All they have to do is get rid of the cap on max salaries if they don't want super teams to form. If Cleveland were allowed to offer him $50 million/year he would've stayed. It's worth chasing rings if the difference is just a few million. It's not worth ring chasing if the difference is $30 million/year.

LosBulls 08-21-2013 02:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sarcastic
All they have to do is get rid of the cap on max salaries if they don't want super teams to form. If Cleveland were allowed to offer him $50 million/year he would've stayed. It's worth chasing rings if the difference is just a few million. It's not worth ring chasing if the difference is $30 million/year.

New York would of offered 75mil.

Trollsmasher 08-21-2013 02:39 AM

Quote:

Fictional comebacks don't really have the impact you wish them to have in your head. All you have to do is compare the time i've been here with the time you've been here and our postcount to figure out whos more likely to live in a basement.

You save other men's pictures on your computer and not only that but you name your self "Troll". Then on top of that you're supposedly a fan of the Miami Heat.

To me it seems like if you have too much time on your hands so you come on an online messageboard to get reactions out of people.

Evaluate your life before making your next post, otherwise you'll just end up making yourself look like a dumbass once again, dickhead.

LosBulls 08-21-2013 02:41 AM

Quote:

My beautiful girlfriend, thanks for reminding me how much better my life is than yours.

kamil 08-21-2013 02:45 AM

Trollsmasher, how's it feel to go home day after day to an empty basement in your moms house only to realize you live a pathetic lonely life and jerk off to women because you aint ever got one?

Trollsmasher 08-21-2013 02:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kamil
Trollsmasher, how's it feel to go home day after day to an empty basement in your moms house only to realize you live a pathetic lonely life and jerk off to women because you aint ever got one?

You seem to know exactly what you are talking about. You can tell me about it if you need to open yourself to somebody:cheers:

Sarcastic 08-21-2013 02:53 AM

Quote:

New York would of offered 75mil.

If teams still have a cap, then there would be a limit to what they can offer considering that they have to fill out the rest of the roster. Also they could keep a version of Bird Rights in place, where the originally drafting team could offer 5% more of something.

Miami can pay Wade and Lebron $20 million each easily. They are not paying each one $50 million apiece.