Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   NBA Forum (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Who's better, Dwight Howard or Bill Russell? (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=293574)

cotdt 03-16-2013 06:23 PM

Who's better, Dwight Howard or Bill Russell?

I've never seen Bill Russell play, and I would like to get an idea by comparing him to a known player like Dwight Howard. How do they compare?

I don't care who has more rings, more about how is one player better than the other.

Rubio2Gasol 03-16-2013 06:33 PM

Re: Who's better, Dwight Howard or Bill Russell?

Russel is what a player like Dwight could potentially be if he started caring about winning more than anything else.

That might be unfair because Russel gets the majority of the credit despite the fact that he played with talent , and that probably won't happen for Dwight in his current situation...but if he really committed to transforming the defense of this team and playing a functional role in the offense instead of a unsustainable one...he could be the most impacttful player on the team and definitely a top 3 player along with Durant and Lebron.

inclinerator 03-16-2013 06:34 PM

well russell could get u blocks and keep the ball in play

Whoah10115 03-16-2013 06:35 PM

I think Howard is a remarkable defender and could be the closest to Russell in terms of defensive impact...but Russell is in the top 6...hard to say anything other than Russell is better.

Dbrog 03-16-2013 06:52 PM

Bill had Dwights defensive impact on the game but with even quicker reflexes and significantly better basketball IQ...so ya...he actually destroys him defensively. Also, Russell could actually catch a ball and handle it in the post or on the break coast to coast (almost no PFs or Cs have ever been able to do this). He came at you like Lebron. Much better passer out of the post as well than Dwight.

Russell crushes all aspects of Dwight Howard.

La Frescobaldi 03-16-2013 09:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dbrog
Bill had Dwights defensive impact on the game but with even quicker reflexes and significantly better basketball IQ...so ya...he actually destroys him defensively. Also, Russell could actually catch a ball and handle it in the post or on the break coast to coast (almost no PFs or Cs have ever been able to do this). He came at you like Lebron. Much better passer out of the post as well than Dwight.

Russell crushes all aspects of Dwight Howard.

just saw russ his last couple of seasons. the dude was long past his best days, but he would still make some incredible plays.

He was so intimidating that he could get shooters to hesitate when he wasn't even around. Just about all of the older guys i hung around with in those days - guys that saw Bill Russell in the 50s and early 60s - say he was the best player of that era and was inventing things in basketball that had never been seen before.
There's no comparing Bill Russell with Howard. Howard is a fine player but he doesn't have the fire inside, never did. What I mean, Russell was ferocious.
Had a style about him on the court. He had a way of just hanging around, kinda by the hoop, just off the edge of the paint... slow moving, deceptive.... looked almost lazy in a way.... like a barracuda will do if you've ever deep-snorkeled along off the coast a ways, they will lay off just on the edge of the dark... lazing along, lazing along but then suddenly there's a glitter and a silvery black flash and then WHAM!!
There's a blood cloud in the water and that cuda is circling his already dying prey.

Even though I saw him after his best days, when Wilt was in his best seasons, I could sure see why many people who watched him in his glory days were sure when they said, Bill Russell was the greatest ever.

vert48 03-16-2013 10:05 PM

Russell saw the Wizard, Howard has not.

julizaver 03-17-2013 02:56 AM

Different styles - Howard had more power game than Russell and better FG %, but Russel is better in almost every other department of the game.

fpliii 03-17-2013 02:59 AM

Russ was better, there's a pretty substantial gap IMO. Dwight is one of my favorite players today though, for sure.

Quote:

Originally Posted by julizaver
Different styles - Howard had more power game than Russell and better FG %, but Russel is better in almost every other department of the game.

:cheers:

bdreason 03-17-2013 03:01 AM

Russell would eat Howard alive. It's like asking who's better between Jordan and McGrady.

Harison 03-17-2013 03:15 AM

Its like asking who is better - J.R. Smith or Jordan :coleman:

vert48 03-17-2013 03:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vert48
Russell saw the Wizard, Howard has not.

What I mean is that Russell has a brain, a heart and courage.

tobethdope 03-17-2013 06:08 AM

howard shud be to centers what lebron is to non-center-nba-players, their physics are just so much better; problem is, unlike lebron, howard ist just not that good at this basketball thing..

NumberSix 03-17-2013 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by inclinerator
well russell could get u blocks and keep the ball in play

Yeah, but its not like Russell had to deal with 7 foot athletic jump shooters and had to make sure he left the paint every 2.9 seconds.

You just can't compare them. The times are too drastically different.

WillC 03-17-2013 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NumberSix
Yeah, but its not like Russell had to deal with 7 foot athletic jump shooters and had to make sure he left the paint every 2.9 seconds.

You just can't compare them. The times are too drastically different.

And it's not like Dwight Howard had to deal with Wilt Chamberlain.