Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   NBA Forum (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Top 10 Players Ever By Position (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=290700)

Whoah10115 02-15-2013 02:46 PM

Top 10 Players Ever By Position

EDITED:

It's all in the title...who are the top 10 players per position, in NBA history. Not peak, prime, or just a list of accomplishments. Who deserves to be ranked where?

Center:

1. Bill Russell
2. Wilt Chamberlain
3. Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
4. Hakeem Olajuwon (I'm tempted to move him up)
5. Shaquille O'Neal
6. David Robinson
7. Moses Malone
8. Patrick Ewing
9. Willis Reed
10. George Mikan

Power Forward:

1. Charles Barkley
2. Tim Duncan
3. Karl Malone
4. Kevin Garnett (tempted to move him up...still may)
5. Dirk Nowitzki
6. Bob Petit
7. Kevin McHale
8. Chris Webber
9. Elvin Hayes
10. Dave DeBusschere

Small Forward:

1. Larry Bird
2. LeBron James
3. John Havlicek
4. Scottie Pippen
5. Julius Erving
6. Rick Barry
7. Elgin Baylor
8. Dominique Wilkins
9. Paul Pierce
10. Grant Hill

Shooting Guard:

1. Michael Jordan
2. Kobe Bryant
3. Jerry West
4. Dwyane Wade
5. Clyde Drexler
6. Allen Iverson
7. George Gervin
8. Reggie Miller
9. Mitch Richmond
10. Ray Allen

Point Guard:

1. Magic Johnson
2. Oscar Robertson
3. Isiah Thomas (I'm tempted to move him up)
4. Jason Kidd (should be higher)
5. John Stockton
6. Steve Nash
7. Gary Payton
8. Walt Frazier
9. Bob Cousy
10. Kevin Johnson

tmacattack33 02-15-2013 02:55 PM

Re: Top 10 Players Ever By Position

If it's not peak, prime, or based on accomplishments then what are you basing it on exactly.

We'll need to know before posting our lists and commenting on yours.

Whoah10115 02-15-2013 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tmacattack33
If it's not peak, prime, or based on accomplishments then what are you basing it on exactly.

We'll need to know before posting our lists and commenting on yours.

It says in the OP. It's not any one of those things; it's all of those things, together. In the end, Jordan is the best player ever. We're not just looking at accomplishments or peak. We're looking at everything, over time.

Segatti 02-15-2013 03:11 PM

Lebron will pass Bird at the end of this playoffs, or in the next one at most (unless he chockes)

Mr. Jabbar 02-15-2013 03:13 PM

No CP3 in top 10 pg? Travesty.

Mr. Jabbar 02-15-2013 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Segatti
Lebron will pass Bird at the end of this playoffs, or in the next one at most (unless he chockes)

He already choked so he can't pass Bird at all.

lilgodfather1 02-15-2013 03:15 PM

If we are not basing this on any one thing, then LeBron is the top SF of all time. He's just a level above the others.

Ne 1 02-15-2013 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Whoah10115
It says in the OP. It's not any one of those things; it's all of those things, together. In the end, Jordan is the best player ever. We're not just looking at accomplishments or peak. We're looking at everything, over time.

Well if you value winning Bill Russell is best player ever. If you value peak play Kareem or Wilt is the best player ever. If you value both winning and peak play equally, Kareem or Jordan is best player ever IMO.

SilkkTheShocker 02-15-2013 03:30 PM

Pippen over Irving is a joke.

Whoah10115 02-15-2013 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Jabbar

I was thinking of throwing him in ahead of KJ, but it seems a little early. He's been in the playoffs four times and has been great, but I don't think he's been historic there. He's gotten out of the 1st round twice. I could see the argument but right now I'm still with KJ. I'm in the process of changing my mind and updating it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ne 1
Well if you value winning Bill Russell is best player ever. If you value peak play Kareem or Wilt is the best player ever. If you value both winning and peak play equally, Kareem or Jordan is best player ever IMO.

Kareem is certainly not there with Michael.

But the point of this is not to say "If you value this". That's the wrong way. Take it all into consideration. Who was better.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Segatti

This is a terrible way to think anything. Highly unlikely. But you're talking as if we should just stop the season and crown him the player of the tournament. It's just a bad way of evaluating and ranking.

Young X 02-15-2013 03:42 PM

CP3 is better than any PG on that list not named Magic or Oscar.

La Frescobaldi 02-15-2013 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Jabbar

Point Guard:

1. Magic Johnson
2. Oscar Robertson
3. Isiah Thomas (I'm tempted to move him up)
4. Jason Kidd (should be higher)
5. John Stockton
6. Steve Nash
7. Gary Payton
8. Walt Frazier
9. Bob Cousy
10. Kevin Johnson

No, no cp3 in top 10 pg.
Not sure if I agree with the list but all those guys are better players than Chris Paul. Only one on there I've not seen is Cousy, but the rest ? I would take em for sure - and I really really like Chris Paul's game.

By the way OP~~ Walt Frazier should be higher. Clyde's game had zero flaws.

Whoah10115 02-15-2013 03:46 PM

After posting I looked back and started wondering about the lists. Manu is deserving but he's missed enough games and has played few enough minutes that it's right for me to consider a couple other guys. Bing was on my mind, but the guy I forgot was Hal Greer. He's got 20,000 points. It's the total that sways my mind. I might have to throw him in there.

Dolph Schayes and Jerry Lucas deserve mention in the PF list...I'd have to drop DeBusschere.

Whoah10115 02-15-2013 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by La Frescobaldi
No, no cp3 in top 10 pg.
Not sure if I agree with the list but all those guys are better players than Chris Paul. Only one on there I've not seen is Cousy, but the rest ? I would take em for sure - and I really really like Chris Paul's game.

By the way OP~~ Walt Frazier should be higher. Clyde's game had zero flaws.

I was going to put parenthesis there and shout you out...he could go anywhere from 4 to the position he's in, I suppose. Gary Payton is a good comparison (in terms of style and all-around play), and I took him...I saw more of Payton so honestly that plays a part.

As far as Paul...peak wise, he could be argued against anyone other than Magic...but he's still early in his career, so I agree with you. It's KJ I'm thinking of moving.

La Frescobaldi 02-15-2013 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Whoah10115
It's all in the title...who are the top 10 players per position, in NBA history. Not peak, prime, or just a list of accomplishments. Who deserves to be ranked where?

Center:

1. Bill Russell
2. Wilt Chamberlain

3. Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
4. Hakeem Olajuwon (I'm tempted to move him up)
5. Shaquille O'Neal
6. David Robinson
7. Moses Malone
8. Patrick Ewing
9. Willis Reed
10. George Mikan

good thing we're buds OP cuz that right there is a throwdown for sure. I.... well that's all I can say. I'm red-faced choked up with rage and sputterin

And another thing. Hakeem is not better than Shaquille O'Neal. I don't care about that season or two that he had he was not better than the Diesel. Olajuwon's peak is not higher than Shaq and it didn't last as long and that's just a reality that you know to be true.

I think you do it just to create fury