Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   NBA Forum (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   The Pistons backcourt is a mess. (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=289682)

bdreason 02-04-2013 10:57 PM

The Pistons backcourt is a mess.

Not in the sense that they don't have any talent... they just don't have the right mix of talent.

Calderon
Knight
Bynum
Stuckey

Calderon is the best pure PG, but he's older and an expirer. Do you really want to hand him the keys to the team?

Knight is the supposed future, but I don't think he's a very good pure point, and I see his future as being a 6th man type guard.

Bynum is a better scorer than Knight, without a doubt. I think he acutally plays well off the bench too.

Stuckey is another tweener guard, who should probably be coming off the bench for a legit team... but seems to struggle paying the bench role.

So what do the Pistons do? Start Calderon at PG even though he's probably gone in half a season? Move your supposed future PG to SG to accommodate that move? Bring Bynum or Stuckey off the bench first?

Realistically one of these guys needs to get traded. I feel like Bynum could be a real contributer to a playoff team with his aggressive scoring off the bench.

roffie 02-04-2013 11:02 PM

Re: The Pistons backcourt is a mess.

brandon knight isn't very good.. wouldn't bank on him

but if someone's gonna get traded it'll be stuckey

Rake2204 02-04-2013 11:04 PM

You are correct. You threw me off guard with the Will Bynum trade suggestion though. If Stuckey's the one that ends up sticking around through all this... man... I don't know.

Stuckey's established himself to be more of a scorer than a point guard. Brandon Knight's point guard skills have also been wildly erratic. He hasn't shown to be a very good passing playmaker. And as you mentioned, there's no guarantee Calderon's returning. I've been very impressed with Will Bynum. As you said though, it's just a lot of strange pieces.

bdreason 02-04-2013 11:07 PM

I think the Pistons should keep Bynum, but I feel like he's the guy with the most trade value, because he plays well of the bench, and only makes 3.5m. Stuckey has mostly shined as a starter and makes 8.5m.

noob cake 02-04-2013 11:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by roffie

Wasn't Knight supposed to be better than Iriving?

I'm pretty damn sure more than half of board thought Williams + Knight > Irving + Thompson.

Rake2204 02-04-2013 11:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bdreason
I think the Pistons should keep Bynum, but I feel like he's the guy with the most trade value, because he plays well of the bench, and only makes 3.5m. Stuckey has mostly shined as a starter and makes 8.5m.

Stuckey's had some turmoil within the team. I think they're willing to part ways. He had a DNP-Coach's Decision a few games ago for a conflict with Frank. And after his issue with the previous coach, combined with his erratic play and his absolutely terrible start to this season relegating him to a bench role, he seems destined to head out of town.

bdreason 02-04-2013 11:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rake2204
Stuckey's had some turmoil within the team. I think they're willing to part ways. He had a DNP-Coach's Decision a few games ago for a conflict with Frank. And after his issue with the previous coach, combined with his erratic play and his absolutely terrible start to this season relegating him to a bench role, he seems destined to head out of town.

Yes, but you have to find someone willing to take on 8.5m for 2 more years for a tweener guard. Not impossible, if you're willing to essentially give him away. All the stuff you mentioned only makes him harder to trade.

Rekindled 02-04-2013 11:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noob cake
Wasn't Knight supposed to be better than Iriving?

I'm pretty damn sure more than half of board thought Williams + Knight > Irving + Thompson.

the funny part is, knight plays almost exactly like Irving, except no where as good in any categories.

Velocirap31 02-04-2013 11:43 PM

Calderon is coming right back to Toronto next season. Count on it.

Rake2204 02-05-2013 12:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bdreason
Yes, but you have to find someone willing to take on 8.5m for 2 more years for a tweener guard. Not impossible, if you're willing to essentially give him away. All the stuff you mentioned only makes him harder to trade.

Yeah, you're correct in that regard too. I think that's been the issue with a number of Pistons players the past few years. Dumars has had to be quite delicate in his dealings because so many had reduced value. Ben Gordon would be a prime example.

boozehound 02-05-2013 12:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by roffie

This. Knight is not a starting pg in this league at this point (but neither was billups for the first 4? years in the league). I find it completely asinine that they handed the team over to knight (over two better pgs in stuckey and bynum) his rookie season, but are still treating drummond with kids gloves, with no one, not even monroe, better than him in the frontcourt. Very disappointed in the coaching staff (I knew I would be, hated him in NJ) and the FO (what else is new).

boozehound 02-05-2013 12:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rekindled
the funny part is, knight plays almost exactly like Irving, except no where as good in any categories.

except when they play each other. knight steps his game up and irving looks pedestrian. too bad we cant hypnotize him to think hes playing kyrie every night.

and, very few reasonable fans (and definitely no scouts) though knight was better than kyrie.

Whoah10115 02-05-2013 12:43 AM

Knight often looks as uninterested on the floor as he was the night he got drafted.

He and Tyreke Evans would be a good fit, at least on paper.

no pun intended 02-05-2013 01:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Velocirap31
Calderon is coming right back to Toronto next season. Count on it.

I have a feeling he's returning to Spain like Fernandez did.

selrahc 02-05-2013 01:24 AM

who cares? the pistons suck and will suck for 10 more years