Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   Off the Court Lounge (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   MLB Thread 2013 (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=286876)

brwnman 01-09-2013 04:20 PM

MLB Thread 2013

Continuing the thread from last year.

Voters fail to elect anyone to the hall this year, only the second time in 4 decades. This year's class included Bonds, Clemens and Sosa. Voters should have their voting rights revoked and should be immediately fired. Voters clearly taking their frustration out for Bonds not being nice to the media. I agree the whole steroid thing plays into it too, but since Bonds and Clemens were douches, they didn't become first ballot HOF. This is a disgrace to MLB. You have to go by the numbers, that's why they are there...

kaiteng 01-09-2013 04:25 PM

Re: MLB Thread 2013

MMM 01-09-2013 04:36 PM

I know people will claim that there will be a lot of Jay bandwagoners but the fan support has been surprisingly strong from what I've seen the last few seasons. With that being said there will still be the fair share of bandwagoners but just wanted to clarify some of the differences

brwnman 01-09-2013 04:41 PM

I haven't seen any bandwagoners as of yet on this site. We have had a strong bluejays community in the Toronto Raptors forum, but I expect it to pick up when the season starts...

Qwyjibo 01-09-2013 04:55 PM

HOF voting is idiotic.

I'll accept that some writers want to make an "example" of confirmed roiders and not vote them in. Fine. I'd vote them in but whatever. But what's the excuse to not vote deserving players like Piazza, Raines, Bagwell and Biggio?

D.J. 01-09-2013 06:02 PM

I have no issue with the voters leaving out Bonds, Clemens, and Sosa. They're lying cheats. But guys like Biggio and Piazza were never caught up in this scandal and both should have been in with at least 80-85% of the votes.

sunsfan1357 01-09-2013 06:33 PM

An Astros prospect got suspended for 50 games for smoking weed. People are in jail for shorter amounts of time on possession :lol:

Also, Aaron Sele got one vote for the Hall of Fame.

Rose 01-09-2013 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Qwyjibo
HOF voting is idiotic.

I'll accept that some writers want to make an "example" of confirmed roiders and not vote them in. Fine. I'd vote them in but whatever. But what's the excuse to not vote deserving players like Piazza, Raines, Bagwell and Biggio?

Guilty until proven innocent, which is ****ing sad. I can at least understand their rationale for keeping Bonds, Sosa, Big Mac and others out. But really? The guys you listed? At least Bagwell and Biggio may go in together next year which would be nice.

mlh1981 01-09-2013 07:47 PM

Whether or not a guy is in the HOF, the various conversations, lists, and "all time" debates contain the names of many of the black sheep. So the dialogue doesn't change one way or another.

I don't want a hall of fame with cheaters, but MLB certainly had no problem "cashing in." on this era. "Chicks dig the long ball," and all that.

RaininThrees 01-09-2013 08:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kaiteng

Flags Fly Forever.

Qwyjibo 01-09-2013 09:37 PM

[quote][I don't want a hall of fame with cheaters, but MLB certainly had no problem "cashing in." on this era. "Chicks dig the long ball," and all that./QUOTE]
Plus I guarantee that there already are "cheaters" in the HOF. They just were never caught or people simply looked past the issues.

irondarts 01-09-2013 09:41 PM

RaininThrees 01-09-2013 09:43 PM

[quote=Qwyjibo]
Quote:

[I don't want a hall of fame with cheaters, but MLB certainly had no problem "cashing in." on this era. "Chicks dig the long ball," and all that./QUOTE]
Plus I guarantee that there already are "cheaters" in the HOF. They just were never caught or people simply looked past the issues.

Quote:

In <Ken Burns'> "Baseball", Washington Post columnist Thomas Boswell said:

There was another player now in the Hall of Fame who literally stood with me and mixed something and I said "What's that?" and he said "it's a Jose Canseco milkshake". And that year that Hall of Famer hit more home runs than ever hit any other year.

http://www.hallofverygood.com/2010/0...ken-burns.html

RaininThrees 01-09-2013 09:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by irondarts

Yep.

Things conveniently not discussed: all of the terrible players who took steroids.

I'm looking at YOU, Gregg Zaun.

irondarts 01-09-2013 10:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sunsfan1357
An Astros prospect got suspended for 50 games for smoking weed. People are in jail for shorter amounts of time on possession :lol:

Also, Aaron Sele got one vote for the Hall of Fame.

The Astros top prospect, no less.

I agree it's kind of silly to suspend them 50 games for pot.