Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   Detroit Pistons Forum (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Pistons shake up the backcourt rotation (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=282734)

insidehoops 11-28-2012 02:20 PM

Pistons shake up the backcourt rotation

Rodney Stuckey is poised to play more point-guard minutes in an effort to find him more playing time off the bench. The move figures to at least reduce the number of minutes Will Bynum plays. The Pistons hope to find a better offensive mix with Stuckey playing more backup point. At issue is how well it works... I don't think this move necessarily eliminates Bynum from the rotation. There are still times when his ballhandling and mid- to long-range shooting might pay dividends when the Pistons are looking to gamble on a quick offensive infusion.

-- Michigan Live

ZMonkey11 12-01-2012 11:51 AM

Re: Pistons shake up the backcourt rotation

toooo many combo guards!!! aaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!

dd24 12-01-2012 07:19 PM

It's going to hinder Knight or Stuckey. One of them has to suck it up and play the other role. I really wanted to see Knight develop as the PG of the future. Once they drafted him it was obvious we were going in a different direction. I've always been on Stuckey's side when these debates come up. I wish the coaching staff would find a way to make it work with him at SG. I blame as much of all this on Frank as I do the players. I wasn't a fan of that signing from the start. The Pistons are really terrible at hiring coaches. I get that he was hired for the rebuild. Honestly, he'll probably be gone once the Pistons are good again.

idizzle 12-26-2012 11:01 PM

Rodney Stuckey's contract going into the summer is Partial/Non-Guaranteed so he basically could be a free agent.

idizzle 02-04-2013 07:40 PM

The Pistons can trade Rodney Stuckey, a long-standing problem for coaches in Detroit, now that they’ve landed a true point guard in Jose Calderon. New York Daily News

dd24 02-04-2013 08:12 PM

There's a lot of people that expect the Pistons to be looking at PG Michael Carter-Williams in the draft this year. If that's the case, someone is going to have to go. At least he & Knight could match up defensively since Carter Williams is big for a PG (6'6"). I still don't see Knight as a SG in the NBA (at least as a starter or a guy who gets major minutes). The way it's looking I'm wondering how untouchable Knight is. Calderon being the starter is giving me a warning sign the Pistons might be thinking the same. I think either Stuckey or Knight will be gone.

idizzle 02-06-2013 08:06 PM

I think the hand-writing is on the wall for Bynum. With the team obviously preferring Calderon, don't see the Pistons bringing him back. Of course he can be dealt before the deadline. Bynum has had some very good moments this year, but still feel the team stands around watching him a lot. Detroit Free Press

@dd24, I like Michael Carter-Williams. I also like Lorenzo Brown from NC State, he's 6'5 PG.

I think Knight could thrive at SG than at PG. The Pistons could have a backcourt like the Hornets with Eric Gordon at SG (6'3) and
Greivis Vasquez at PG (6'6).

But if the Pistons chose to get a SG and keep Knight at PG they should get Tim Hardaway Jr.

From what I've been reading the Pistons are gonna see how the Knight and Caldron backcourt works. I don't think its going to work. Both are 6'3.

dd24 02-06-2013 08:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by idizzle

@dd24, I like Michael Carter-Williams. I also like Lorenzo Brown from NC State, he's 6'5 PG.

I think Knight could thrive at SG than at PG. The Pistons could have a backcourt like the Hornets with Eric Gordon at SG (6'3) and
Greivis Vasquez at PG (6'6).

From what I've been reading the Pistons are gonna see how the Knight and Caldron backcourt works. I don't think its going to work. Both are 6'3.

That's what I was thinking too. I don't think the Knight/Calderon back court will work. It's just too small. This year isn't about winning games to me anyway. It's about winning the experience game.... getting our young guys a chance to get better so we can be solid next year.

I was thinking the same thing with a tall PG. Then either guy could potentially bring the ball up the court and we could still match up on the defensive end. The problem with Knight is he's just so thin. A guy like Eric Gordon is a lot thicker than Brandon Knight. He's got a lot more muscle on him and he uses that to his advantage. He can at least get a little leverage. Knight at SG will be a 6th man in the NBA (at best). If the Pistons are as set on Calderon as it sounds like, then they might end up drafting a SG or SF. Knight very well could be going to the bench. I could see Knight, Bynum, and/or Stuckey being traded. The back court will be different next year.

What gets me is none of these teams that play small ball are successful. The teams that have a shot at the title all have big back courts. When Detroit was on their tear we had Billups & Hamilton. That was a big back court, and argueably the best in the NBA. I'm completely over combo guards. I want people with defined roles from here on in. If they haven't figured it out in college, let them be another teams project.

idizzle 02-06-2013 10:47 PM

I agree with you. Like Scottie Pippen said back when the Bulls were playing Kirk Hinrich and Ben Gordon together, you can't have midgets in the backcourt. You will not get far in the playoffs with a small backcourt and they are liability on defense.