Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   NBA Forum (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   P.E.D and Roids in the NBA? (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=281995)

andremiller07 11-20-2012 06:46 AM

P.E.D and Roids in the NBA?
 
As a huge boxing (mma, kickboxing) fan I have seen more and more cases of fighters using P.E.Ds (performance enchancing drugs) and getting caught, with many experts predicting that there over 50-60% of fighters that use them and it is now become a huge problem (not just in boxing but in all sports e.g Lance Armstrong).

This got me thinking do you think that there could be a signifcant amount of players on some type of PEDs. I have never heard of anyone being busted for roids only canibus and other recreational in the NBA which begs me to ask do they test for roids and other PEDs? I can't belevie that no one in 10 years has been caught on them.

NBA players imo would be as likely if not more likely to take them because the sport is amazing stressful on the body, you travel every 2nd night and your main 8-9 guys pretty much play every 2nd night and have back to backs so recovery is essential (they would more likely take them for recovery not to put on muscle) Even though these guys are all elite athletes I find it very hard to beleive that there wouldn't be a decent amount of NBA players on them.

chips93 11-20-2012 06:58 AM

Re: P.E.D and Roids in the NBA?
 
rose and durant have both in the past implied that there are players using them

plus mayo and rashard lewis got caught.

so there is definitely some, its not really a big problem imo

Rysio 11-20-2012 07:00 AM

Re: P.E.D and Roids in the NBA?
 
why not do something that will help you become a better athlete or help recovery when you know you can get away with it? i'll say around 99% of all pro athletes are on something or have been before.

Rolando 11-20-2012 07:05 AM

Re: P.E.D and Roids in the NBA?
 
If a player gets hurt they should be able to use whatever it takes to get back on the court. But, aside from injury, I don't think they should be allowed.

In any case, there probably is a large percentage of players who are on something illegal......not just weed.

Trentknicks 11-20-2012 07:08 AM

Re: P.E.D and Roids in the NBA?
 
As a keen gym enthusiast and past amateur bodybuilding competitor, I can't truthfully believe that even with the best genetics and nutrition and training that an NBA team can provide. That Lebron James, Karl Malone and Ben Wallace aren't chemically enhanced.

Getting to that size alone is near impossible naturally, and would take the better part of a decade to reach such size and tone. But to have to do it while participating in so many games and cardiovascular training is impossible naturally. Couple this with the agility and speed that such players have an it's generally implausible for such progress to be made without artificial help.

I'm sure that many other of the players in the league use enhancers as well. I'm not all that aware of the NBA's drug testing policy but it was pretty heavily critcized recently.

andremiller07 11-20-2012 07:11 AM

Re: P.E.D and Roids in the NBA?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Trentknicks
As a keen gym enthusiast and past amateur bodybuilding competitor, I can't truthfully believe that even with the best genetics and nutrition and training that an NBA team can provide. That Lebron James, Karl Malone and Ben Wallace aren't chemically enhanced.

Getting to that size alone is near impossible naturally, and would take the better part of a decade to reach such size and tone. But to have to do it while participating in so many games and cardiovascular training is impossible naturally. Couple this with the agility and speed that such players have an it's generally implausible for such progress to be made without artificial help.

I'm sure that many other of the players in the league use enhancers as well. I'm not all that aware of the NBA's drug testing policy but it was pretty heavily critcized recently.


I agree with you there, also I beleive if the NBA knew of a problem that they would probably not do much about it cause more than likely result in the suspension of some good players which would not be good for the overall product.

Trentknicks 11-20-2012 07:14 AM

Re: P.E.D and Roids in the NBA?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by andremiller07
I agree with you there, also I beleive if the NBA knew of a problem that they would probably not do much about it cause more than likely result in the suspension of some good players which would not be good for the overall product.

I'm pretty sure there is a general consensus around the league that their is frequent use but it seems to fly under the radar.

"Drug-testing" isn't always what you expect either. Events like Mr Olympia & the Arnold Schwarzenegger Classic have 'drug testing', but they test for cocaine, weed and amphetamines, which is a total joke.

EDIT: I read a story a while back (didn't save link) where a sport's journalist was suggesting Lebron used steroids to bulk up one Cleveland offseason. Apparently he gained something like 30lb in one offseason, but this wasn't listed as such. Also explains why height and weight listing is so inconsistent in the league and players are generally always over listed in both categories.

Leaves room for the player to use and bulk into the listed weight and if measured won't arouse any suspicions. Also for the unaware, steroids can be flushed out of the system and masked by certain drugs within a month or so of use.

stevieming 11-20-2012 09:57 AM

Re: P.E.D and Roids in the NBA?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Trentknicks
As a keen gym enthusiast and past amateur bodybuilding competitor, I can't truthfully believe that even with the best genetics and nutrition and training that an NBA team can provide. That Lebron James, Karl Malone and Ben Wallace aren't chemically enhanced.

Getting to that size alone is near impossible naturally, and would take the better part of a decade to reach such size and tone. But to have to do it while participating in so many games and cardiovascular training is impossible naturally. Couple this with the agility and speed that such players have an it's generally implausible for such progress to be made without artificial help.

I'm sure that many other of the players in the league use enhancers as well. I'm not all that aware of the NBA's drug testing policy but it was pretty heavily critcized recently.


Spot on man. There's no way players aren't taking PEDs and steroids in the NBA.

The only thing I am surprised at is that Rose and Durant hinted at it, I would have thought they were on it too!

I know Rose made the comment before his injury, but right now HGH would help with his recovery a ton. As for Durant, PEDs can enhance his strength gains, especially now he wants to grab more rebounds.

err, not that I am condoning the use of these illegal drugs...:eek:

hawke812 11-20-2012 10:54 AM

Re: P.E.D and Roids in the NBA?
 
Wade just trying to be like the Crimson Chin.


DWade


Crimson DWade


Foster5k 11-20-2012 11:34 AM

Re: P.E.D and Roids in the NBA?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by hawke812



With that jaw, I bet Wade could out bite a pit bull.

vinvin01 11-20-2012 11:53 AM

Re: P.E.D and Roids in the NBA?
 
You have to look at what is at stake.

For a young promising player it is :
-Going to the NBA, earning millions of dollars, being famous

or

-Going back to a shitty city where you'll have no job because you didn't have any good academic education.


And the selection process for the NBA is soooo dependant on athletic abilities. Hell, in the draft camp they even measures the jumping abilities etc. So it is quite obvious that many young players are using drugs. And it's not like anti-doping in the NCAA or NBA is serious.

Then, once in the NBA, you have well organized medical staff, you have money, and you have stakes. Same thing. Does anybody believe that gaining 20 pounds of muscle in 4 months between the draft and the preseason is feasable without drugs ? The guys lift weight in a gym for years to gain pound by pound, and gain 20 pounds when they enter the NBA in 4 months.

I would'nt be surprised also if they took some things to help them stand the long season too

R.I.P. 11-20-2012 01:45 PM

Re: P.E.D and Roids in the NBA?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by vinvin01
You have to look at what is at stake.

For a young promising player it is :
-Going to the NBA, earning millions of dollars, being famous

or

-Going back to a shitty city where you'll have no job because you didn't have any good academic education.


And the selection process for the NBA is soooo dependant on athletic abilities. Hell, in the draft camp they even measures the jumping abilities etc. So it is quite obvious that many young players are using drugs. And it's not like anti-doping in the NCAA or NBA is serious.

Then, once in the NBA, you have well organized medical staff, you have money, and you have stakes. Same thing. Does anybody believe that gaining 20 pounds of muscle in 4 months between the draft and the preseason is feasable without drugs ? The guys lift weight in a gym for years to gain pound by pound, and gain 20 pounds when they enter the NBA in 4 months.

I would'nt be surprised also if they took some things to help them stand the long season too


Basically. I guess 90% use them. Then when an individual player denies it you can always say: Obviously you are in the clean 10%. :roll:

Bucket_Nakedz 11-20-2012 01:51 PM

Re: P.E.D and Roids in the NBA?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by hawke812
Wade just trying to be like the Crimson Chin.


DWade


Crimson DWade





DuMa 11-20-2012 01:55 PM

Re: P.E.D and Roids in the NBA?
 

ClutchOver9000 11-20-2012 01:58 PM

Re: P.E.D and Roids in the NBA?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Trentknicks
As a keen gym enthusiast and past amateur bodybuilding competitor, I can't truthfully believe that even with the best genetics and nutrition and training that an NBA team can provide. That Lebron James, Karl Malone and Ben Wallace aren't chemically enhanced.

Getting to that size alone is near impossible naturally, and would take the better part of a decade to reach such size and tone. But to have to do it while participating in so many games and cardiovascular training is impossible naturally. Couple this with the agility and speed that such players have an it's generally implausible for such progress to be made without artificial help.

I'm sure that many other of the players in the league use enhancers as well. I'm not all that aware of the NBA's drug testing policy but it was pretty heavily critcized recently.


:applause: well said


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:35 PM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy