Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   NBA Forum (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Phil Jackson: "Michael Jordan was fouled on every single play." (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=70294)

mjbulls23 01-07-2008 04:56 AM

Phil Jackson: "Michael Jordan was fouled on every single play."

http://www.pe.com/sports/basketball/...7.3420af8.html

Quote:

By BRODERICK TURNER
The Press-Enterprise

LOS ANGELES - His emotions can get the best of him at times, like when Lamar Odom tackled Boston's Ray Allen during a recent loss and was called for a flagrant foul.

But for the most part, Coach Phil Jackson doesn't have an issue with Odom's emotions.

Jackson wants Odom to keep things in check and not lose control. He doesn't want Odom to miss any more games, like he did Friday night while serving a one-game suspension for his foul on Allen.
Story continues below
AP photo
Andrew Bynum attacks Indiana's defense for 23 points and 13 rebounds, posting his 17th double-double of the season. He finished the first half with 21 points on 7-for-10 shooting.

Odom returned Sunday night, kept cool in a game in which a couple of technical fouls were called, and finished with 13 points and 13 rebounds against the Pacers.

Jackson said he usually likes Odom's attitude "because he plays with a certain air of freedom; he's loose.

"There are times when he can't let things go. Things don't happen right for him and he might get a refereeing call (against him) and he doesn't let it go. Those are times when I'd like for him to relax."

Jackson said he tries to help his players any way he can -- "Doing the cleansing breath; those type of things."

Kobe Keeping His Cool

In past seasons, Kobe Bryant had a bad habit of picking up technical fouls for arguing with the referees too much. But he has toned that down this season.

"Yeah, I'm very pleased," Jackson said.

Jackson recalled that Bryant got a technical foul against Utah, but it was in speaking up for a teammate.

"Other than that, he's been very controlled and stays off them a little bit," Jackson said. "We talked a lot about that during the offseason, about that ability to let those things go."

Jackson said he believed Michael Jordan was fouled on every play when he coached the Bulls. He said coaches and players would tell the referees, "Don't give him those cheap calls."

Jackson said the referees seemed to agree and didn't give Jordan the calls because he "was good enough to do it anyway."

"You just watch it in amazement," Jackson said.

Kwame Quick to the Post

Kwame Brown's conditioning is slowly improving since returning from a sprained left ankle and knee five games ago. He had eight points in 13 minutes.

Jackson said Brown has been doing a nice job in sprinting to the post.

"That's the strength of his game right now," Jackson said. "He's not as comfortable just catching (the ball) on the post and activating the ball."

Injury Updates

Sasha Vujacic (back) and Vladimir Radmanovic (ankle) both missed a second straight game.

:eek:

bigkingsfan 01-07-2008 04:56 AM

Re: Phil Jackson: "Michael Jordan was fouled on every single play."

Exhibit A : Byron Russel

kidachi 01-07-2008 04:59 AM

i think this was more on the 80's Jordan.

Showtime 01-07-2008 05:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kidachi

Yeah, defenders in the 80's looked like they were trying to play patty-cake with ballhandlers, and watching some old MJ clips I find myself thinking to myself: "Ok, that would be a foul today, and that, and that..."

Brunch@Five 01-07-2008 06:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kidachi

yep, because Phil secretely coached the Bulls in the 80's as well. :confusedshrug:

mjbulls23 01-07-2008 06:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brunch@Five
yep, because Phil secretely coached the Bulls in the 80's as well. :confusedshrug:

he was an assistant under Doug Collins

kumquat 01-07-2008 08:21 AM

I love the kwame brown quote and catching balls, it's like you're teaching a retard to play catch. He's still working on it after 20something years.

Loki 01-07-2008 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mjbulls23
he was an assistant under Doug Collins

If you take his words literally, it means from '90-'98:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phil Jackson
Jackson said he believed Michael Jordan was fouled on every play when he coached the Bulls.

Interestingly, Jackson's theory about why refs were reluctant to call fouls for Jordan could explain his drop-off in FTA after age 25. From age 26-30, he only averaged 7.85 FTA/gm, and only 7.35 FTA/gm in the '92 and '93 seasons (age 28-30).

Personally, having watched literally hundreds of Jordan's games, I can say that while I don't agree that he was fouled on every play, he certainly deserved more calls than he got, people who insist he got "all the calls" notwithstanding (which the evidence doesn't support; if Jordan got "all the calls," then about a half dozen players today are getting a lot more than all the calls).

stewen12 01-07-2008 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mjbulls23

Lamar Odom tackled him. I haven't seen people randomly tackling Jordan

poeticism707 01-07-2008 10:58 AM

If Phil "the Snake" Jackson said the sky was blue, I'd disbelieve him.

bjtrdff 01-07-2008 11:11 AM

Phil obviously doesn't literally mean every single play, but Jordan didn't get nearly the number of calls he deserved, due to his greatness.

The best analogy is probably prime Shaq. He was legitimately fouled almost all the time, but he was such a freak that the refs had to call the game differently for him. Jordan was similar, but due to his talent rather than size.

Knoe Itawl 01-07-2008 11:19 AM

Can anyone explain how players today, who are obviously inferior to Jordan, get more foul calls than him?

Can anyone explain this, and also explain how Jordan was "favored" by refs as so many (ignorant) people claim?

Vendetta 01-07-2008 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Knoe Itawl
Can anyone explain how players today, who are obviously inferior to Jordan, get more foul calls than him?

Can anyone explain this, and also explain how Jordan was "favored" by refs as so many (ignorant) people claim?

Well I'm not going there as far as favoritism goes but the reason he didn't get more attempts is because of the utter lack of perimeter defense that is allowed in today's game.

New Jazzy Nets 01-07-2008 11:36 AM

Boy do I hate this coach, do something with the team you have now. MJ, PIP and Kobe, Shaq yet hes such a great coach thats 3 of the top 10 of all time when its all said and done. who wouldnt win with those guys?

dejordan 01-07-2008 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Knoe Itawl

it's just the prevailing belief, and as someone pointed out, jordan pushed off against russell in the one highlight that the youngsters have seen the most, so that's going to play on their imaginations and make them think it happened constantly (actually that play took place so quickly in real time that the refs were at a serious disadvantage - it was much quicker than when reggie shoved greg anthony to the ground in madison square and they didn't call it - or when he shoved jordan in the chest / neck in the 98 ecf and they didn't call it - the game is just so fast).

i always felt like jordan was getting hit and held without the whistle blowing, but i'm almost as big a homer as phil jackson, so i'll just shut up about it.