Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   NBA Forum (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   hakeem vs d. robinson (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11195)

RainierBeachPoet 09-16-2006 09:58 AM

hakeem vs d. robinson
 
what is your analysis of d.rob vs the dream?

one of the recent posts here in ish was about "who owned whom".

one persons comment was that hakeem owned d. rob. i believe that it was primarily because of the highlights of a few dream shakes that hakeem put on david in the playoffs in 1995 (?)

in the head to head games i watched of the two, i never got the sense that hakeem dominated robinson. i considered it, overall, pretty close

hakeem played more games than david so his totals in all catagories are better but their per game averages are very close

david has two rings; hakeem also

hakeem was overall better defensively

let's talk...

Carbine 09-16-2006 10:01 AM

..
 
I'm assuming you're trying to make a case for DRob.

Here is a hint of advice:

Don't bring up the rings. Yes, they both have two... but the huge difference is Dream was the best player on those championship teams, David wasn't. Big difference.

RainierBeachPoet 09-16-2006 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carbine
I'm assuming you're trying to make a case for DRob.

Here is a hint of advice:

Don't bring up the rings. Yes, they both have two... but the huge difference is Dream was the best player on those championship teams, David wasn't. Big difference.


the rings are to hakeem's advantage true:cheers:

my question is of dominance-- i dont think that hakeem dominated david over the course of their careers. that was not the sense i got in the 90s

that 1995 playoff series was just a few games (although hakeem did take it to david in that series) and it dominates people's memory in that hakeem ALWAYS did that against david. not true

El Kabong 09-16-2006 10:51 AM

Hakeem kicked Robinson's butt when it mattered. In the playoffs. I always considered Hakeem a better player then Robinson anyways.

gaydad 09-16-2006 10:55 AM

Hakeem vs. Robinson is the utimate "who owns who" example :rollingeyes:

Glove_20 09-16-2006 12:56 PM

Hakeem is better than David Robinson no doubt...


Offensively and Defensively and Winning wise

dejordan 09-16-2006 03:13 PM

in 1995, the year the admiral won his mvp, hakeem clobbered him in the playoffs, HOWEVER, i agree with BeachPoet on this one. if you look at their accomplishments and stats up until 1994 (that's 9 years into hakeem's career and 6 years into david's) they are very similar. if you actually watched them back in the day, robinson was probably equally intimidating as a basket defender, better at running guys down on the break, and more athletic (in terms of hops and sprinting speed). hakeem actually peaked very late, but at his peak he was a phenominal player, definitely better than david. for the course of their careers though, they weren't so different. i never thought robinson had the need to win though. to me hakeem seemed like more of a leader by example. david made a better second banana.

XxNeXuSxX 09-16-2006 03:19 PM

D-Rob has a Quadrouple double. And also 5 triple doubles within the same month with 10+blocks, and nearly missing a second quadrouple double

XxNeXuSxX 09-16-2006 03:20 PM

*looks it up,* I bet Hakeem has one too, there is only 4 guys that have done it and I am now frustrated.

dejordan 09-16-2006 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by XxNeXuSxX
*looks it up,* I bet Hakeem has one too, there is only 4 guys that have done it and I am now frustrated.

i think hakeem is one of those guys actually. alvin robertson did it with steals. don't know who the other was. people say wilt would done it multiple times if they'd kept blocks back in the day.

Psileas 09-16-2006 03:34 PM

Notice though that even till 1994, Hakeem still had Robinson beaten in playoff stats:

Robinson: 28 games, 23.5 ppg, 12.1 rpg, 50.5% FG
Olajuwon: 85 games, 27.0 ppg, 12.3 rpg, 53.1% FG

Bourne 09-16-2006 03:41 PM

Weird. Just today I watched a video of hakeem owning Drob in the last game of the western conference finals.

Shepseskaf 09-16-2006 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RainierBeachPoet
what is your analysis of d.rob vs the dream?

one of the recent posts here in ish was about "who owned whom".

one persons comment was that hakeem owned d. rob. i believe that it was primarily because of the highlights of a few dream shakes that hakeem put on david in the playoffs in 1995 (?)

in the head to head games i watched of the two, i never got the sense that hakeem dominated robinson. i considered it, overall, pretty close

hakeem played more games than david so his totals in all catagories are better but their per game averages are very close

david has two rings; hakeem also

hakeem was overall better defensively

let's talk...

This isn't about stats. Its about the absolute dominance of one elite player over another. I watched that series and have never seen a top player just embarrassed the way D. Rob was. It got to the point where I felt sorry for the guy... his head was down; at times he looked straight-up depressed.

I remember Avery Johnson in one of the huddles that was miked clearly stating that the team "couldn't count on David" (because he was getting owned) and had to find a way to win without him. It sounds incredible, but I clearly remember being shocked that Avery would come out and say that. He was obviously the team leader, not Robinson.

It wasn't just highlights. Hakeem put a historic beat-down on D. Rob.

The Mamba 09-16-2006 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Psileas
Robinson: 28 games
Olajuwon: 85 games

Thank Ralph Sampson, and a better team for that. Hakeem played on some very good teams, from earlier in his career too. Robinson was stuck by himself until the mid to late 90's. And please, for the love of god... a prime David Robinson is better than a prime Tim Duncan. David Robinson's career numbers 21.1 ppg, 3 bpg, 11 rpg, 3 apg, 1 spg. And that is after injuries deluted his skills, and playing time past the 1999 - 2000 season. If you compare their best numbers from the primes of their careers, Robinson is better than Duncan. I'd take a prime Admiral 10 times out of 10 over a prime Tim Duncan. As for Hakeem v.s. Robinson? Meh, tough ass question. Can't decide.

Shepseskaf 09-16-2006 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Mamba
If you compare their best numbers from the primes of their careers, Robinson is better than Duncan. I'd take a prime Admiral 10 times out of 10 over a prime Tim Duncan.

Forget the numbers, Duncan has the winning intangibles that Robinson never had. He's a better leader, and more respected by his teammates. I don't take the Admiral over Duncan even one time out of ten.

Robinson was a freak of nature, no doubt, but he always played soft to me. Never really known as a tough, clutch player -- sort of like a slightly better version of KG in that regard.

Duncan would NEVER have allowed himself to be owned like Robinson was against Hakeem.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:59 PM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy