PDA

View Full Version : Is Tatum a superstar?

StrongLurk
09-08-2024, 01:29 PM
For me, the answer is no. He is clearly an elite player, but to me he is a high-level all star type guy.

He's just not an impressive enough playoff performer, especially finals performer, for me to give him a superstar label. The olympics made it even more obvious.

For me these guys are the superstars - Jokic, Luka, Giannis, Lebron, SGA, Curry, Kevin Durant, Anthony Edwards, Joel Embiid.

Tatum is in the next tier of guys.

John8204
09-08-2024, 06:17 PM
Well he qualified for the Hall of Fame this season can you be a HOFer and not a Superstar that's the issue

L.Kizzle
09-08-2024, 06:49 PM
He's like a guy right under a superstar.
Was Paul Westphal a Superstar, or Walt Frazier or Alonzo Mourning?

Full Court
09-08-2024, 10:17 PM
No, he's not a superstar.

Being a "superstar" has to with widespread popularity and not just skill. Tatum just doesn't have that intangible thing that makes a superstar.

Carbine
09-08-2024, 10:34 PM
You would have to have a very very strict definition of a superstar not to give that label to Tatum.

He has been all NBA first team three years in a row so he's obviously one of the very best regular season players in the world. You would have to say top ten at minimum even for his haters.

Playoffs are a level below that, I think it's fair to say he simply drops off to all star level instead of all NBA first team in the playoffs.

If your definition of superstar includes like 5-6 players in the entire NBA than no he is not, but that term is generally used liberally to include 10-15 players which he is clearly in that grouping.

iamgine
09-08-2024, 11:35 PM
You would have to have a very very strict definition of a superstar not to give that label to Tatum.

He has been all NBA first team three years in a row so he's obviously one of the very best regular season players in the world. You would have to say top ten at minimum even for his haters.

Playoffs are a level below that, I think it's fair to say he simply drops off to all star level instead of all NBA first team in the playoffs.

If your definition of superstar includes like 5-6 players in the entire NBA than no he is not, but that term is generally used liberally to include 10-15 players which he is clearly in that grouping.

I think superstar is generally associated more with the top 5 player rather than top 10-15. Being the 10-15 best player in the NBA means you're an average-above average franchise player since there's 30 teams.

I don't think people associate being an average-above average franchise player to superstardom.

90sgoat
09-09-2024, 01:10 AM
He's no Tracy McGrady, more a Lamar odom.

SouBeachTalents
09-09-2024, 01:46 AM
Tatum imo is a Pippen/Pierce/PG level player, elite, but not quite superstar/consistently top 5 in the league.

90sgoat
09-09-2024, 01:54 AM
Tatum imo is a Pippen/Pierce/PG level player, elite, but not quite superstar/consistently top 5 in the league.

I think PG had more swagger at his peak, but otherwise they're very comparably. PG had a career ending injury and came back after all.

MMM
09-09-2024, 02:27 AM
What is your definition of Superstar because it varies from person to person. I would say its typically top 3 to 5 players, additionally some players that were previously top players if they are still star players. For me that means:

Jokic
Giannis
Luka

And

Bron
Curry
And KD

So no Tatum isnt a superstar but he also isnt a Lamar Odom type (Odom was a 3rd best player/6th man level), or above average franchise star. He should be clear of both thise destinations.

Pippen to Pierce teir that someone mentioned is fair enough for now

I dont think SGA, Embiid and Ant have done enough especially in the playoffs. I think Tatum actually has a superior playoff record and i dont think you need to use the ring argument.

To be fair Tatum entered his prime before SGA because SGA seems like more a late bloomer. SGA has had 2 consecutive seasons better than Tatum but before that Tatum was better. While Ant might still be a few years away from his prime. And we know Embiid has always been injured. So with full context, Tatum has the better playoff track record than those players.

It doesnt make sense to bash Tatum's Finals performance when theose players haven't even made the finals themselves. Also as underwhelming as Tatum has been in the finals i dont think it is out of norm for a player to struggle in their first final or two. Even guys supperior to Tatum like Bron, Kobe and steph have poor shooting series in the finals.

L.Kizzle
09-09-2024, 07:45 AM
Embiid an MVP and led the league in scoring at over 30, twice. He's definitely a Superstar.

Manny98
09-09-2024, 12:32 PM
What is your definition of Superstar because it varies from person to person. I would say its typically top 3 to 5 players, additionally some players that were previously top players if they are still star players. For me that means:

Jokic
Giannis
Luka

And

Bron
Curry
And KD

So no Tatum isnt a superstar but he also isnt a Lamar Odom type (Odom was a 3rd best player/6th man level), or above average franchise star. He should be clear of both thise destinations.

I dont think SGA, Embiid and Ant have done enough especially in the playoffs. I think Tatum actually has a superior playoff record and i dont think you need to use the ring argument.

To be fair Tatum entered his prime before SGA because SGA seems like more a late bloomer. SGA has had 2 consecutive seasons better than Tatum but before that Tatum was better. While Ant might still be a few years away from his prime. And we know Embiid has always been injured. So with full context, Tatum has the better playoff track record than those players.

It doesnt make sense to bash Tatum's Finals performance when theose players haven't even made the finals themselves. Also as underwhelming as Tatum has been in the finals i dont think it is out of norm for a player to struggle in their first final or two. Even guys supperior to Tatum like Bron, Kobe and steph have poor shooting series in the finals.

This

Jokic, Luka and Giannis are the only current superstars

KD, LeBron and Curry are superstars in terms of box office but they're all past their primes so I don't consider them superstar level anymore either

hold this L
09-09-2024, 01:03 PM

Jokic
Giannis
Luka

And

Bron
Curry
And KD

That's my list as well. I often go back and forth between including Embiid in the superstar list or not.

MMM
09-09-2024, 04:46 PM
Embiid an MVP and led the league in scoring at over 30, twice. He's definitely a Superstar.

I was going back and forth on Embiid. I could see MVP plus scoring title can earn you that status but i think the playoffs are more of an indicator of what separates super stars from other star players. The best I've seen from Embiid was from 18 to 20 because he has been injured every year

Wally450
09-09-2024, 07:53 PM
No

tontoz
09-09-2024, 07:58 PM
He's getting crapped on because he had the worst shooting playoffs of his career. I would expect his shooting to be better next year.

Having said that I see him as a 2nd tier star, not a superstar. He lacks a quick first step and settles for pull-up jumpers too often which limits him as a go to scorer. However he probably doesn't get enough credit for his rebounding and defensive versatility.

His ability to guard the Dallas centers blew up their offense.

j3lademaster
09-09-2024, 08:41 PM

Jokic
Giannis
Luka

And

Bron
Curry
And KD

I'm stealing your definition for a superstar for here on out.

BarberSchool
09-09-2024, 10:33 PM
Physically ? Yes
Skillwise ? Yes

Personality ? lol what personality?
Marketing ability ? Not even close.

Jasper
09-10-2024, 10:21 AM
For me, the answer is no. He is clearly an elite player, but to me he is a high-level all star type guy.

He's just not an impressive enough playoff performer, especially finals performer, for me to give him a superstar label. The olympics made it even more obvious.

For me these guys are the superstars - Jokic, Luka, Giannis, Lebron, SGA, Curry, Kevin Durant, Anthony Edwards, Joel Embiid.

Tatum is in the next tier of guys.

agree w/u 100%

If brown was off the team Tatum could not carry team as Brown does.

rawimpact
09-10-2024, 11:23 AM
Dudes not even the clear cut best player on his team.

StrongLurk
09-15-2024, 08:58 AM
Surprisingly, I see a lot of people saying Tatum is a superstar. My guess is these people have a very loose definition of superstar.

beasted
09-15-2024, 03:33 PM
No, he's not a superstar.

Being a "superstar" has to with widespread popularity and not just skill. Tatum just doesn't have that intangible thing that makes a superstar.
I actually think it's the opposite. His popularity transcends his performance.

He gets a ton of jersey sales, endorsement deals etc, for someone who's probably just hovering around the 10-12 overall ranking for active players on most fan's lists.

I've seen from social media seems the women like him. That probably inflates his popularity.

L.Kizzle
09-15-2024, 09:30 PM
I was going back and forth on Embiid. I could see MVP plus scoring title can earn you that status but i think the playoffs are more of an indicator of what separates super stars from other star players. The best I've seen from Embiid was from 18 to 20 because he has been injured every year

By your definition Reggie Miller is a superstar and Karl Malone isn't.

Full Court
09-15-2024, 11:11 PM
Would a superstar get outplayed in a finals by Jaylen Brown? Just ask yourself that.

On second thought.....a superstar did get outplayed in a finals by Jason Terry.....