PDA

View Full Version : Why JJ Redick is the right man for LA

iamgine
06-20-2024, 09:40 PM
1. He's evidently very basketball smart
2. He's not afraid to call out and have a long drawn argument with the big boys like Stephen A
3. He's buddies with Lebron, almost no one else have this quality
4. He's a role playing shooter so he really understands how spacing works on a player level

Jasper
06-20-2024, 10:51 PM
groomed by bron on his show

beasted
06-20-2024, 10:59 PM
I'm rooting for him. Anytime a guy shows a lengthy history of being a hard worker and maximizing all of his skills, I'll always be on them.

He was a player who was undersized, not very athletic and had a negative wingspan if I remember correctly. He established himself and worked tirelessly to have a very respectable career.

A a media personality he built up his brand from the ground up despite not being a popular player, to being one of the most respected analysts on NBA media.

I expect the same thing on the coaching front. But the problem is, everything I've described took time to build. There was a progression before he established himself in college, then the NBA, then in media. Unfortunately, these jackasses in LA expect immediate, unwavering results. And that's why this is a risky hire.

I'm not certain he will get a fair chance. A lot of comparisons on social media are to Riley.

I don't think he will have instant success like Riley who was an assistant for years.

Neal Romer
06-20-2024, 11:27 PM
I'm rooting for him. Anytime a guy shows a lengthy history of being a hard worker and maximizing all of his skills, I'll always be on them.

He was a player who was undersized, not very athletic and had a negative wingspan if I remember correctly. He established himself and worked tirelessly to have a very respectable career.

A a media personality he built up his brand from the ground up despite not being a popular player, to being one of the most respected analysts on NBA media.

I expect the same thing on the coaching front. But the problem is, everything I've described took time to build. There was a progression before he established himself in college, then the NBA, then in media. Unfortunately, these jackasses in LA expect immediate, unwavering results. And that's why this is a risky hire.

I'm not certain he will get a fair chance. A lot of comparisons on social media are to Riley.

I don't think he will have instant success like Riley who was an assistant for years.

Having instant success or not will have little to do with Redick's abilities as a coach.

The Lakers are a veteran team. Their success is gonna come down to the strength of the roster compared to where other teams are next year. JJ isnt holding any magical secrets of basketball that these players havent been exposed to, nor is any other coach. Having some nice set plays or whatever might make the difference in a game here or there, but Darvin Ham made a conference finals and won an IST chip and got fired for supposedly not being detail oriented enough. So if they had that much success with a guy who wasnt keyed in on X's and O's, then clearly X's and O's arent a big determinant of success at the NBA level. It's about the roster, the players.

The only way a coach can really get an under performance from his team is if he just loses the locker room's respect, or doesnt gain it in the first place. Nash never gained his team's respect because he came in like a meek little cuck. Derek Fisher lost his team's confidence because he appeared in over his head. JJ better come in with some command, and a firm grasp on what he wants to do. And it can't be some inauthentic tough guy facade or fake rah rah that players will see through. The surest way to command respect is to actually know what the hell youre doing and be sure of yourself when you do it. So he better.

Any other factors that will determine their results are barely in his hands. There's about an equal chance of them making another conference finals next year or missing the playoffs altogether, and it has nothing to do with how good of a coach he'll be. It's about the talent on their team and in their conference.

Utterly mid coaches can be successful and very good coaches can be unsuccessful. Because there's just way more to the result than the coach himself.

sbw19
06-21-2024, 08:30 AM
JJ is the right man for LA because LeBron wanted him, that's all. He is hired primarily to tag along for the LeBron and Bronny Show closing phase of LeBron's career. He is a product of the Buddy System. What success he garners with the Lakers while and after LeBron is there is secondary.

JJ will ensure 1) Bronny gets all the minutes Lebron desires and 2) LeBron gets cart blanche in terms of gameplan input, plus 3) marketing: people will watch because of the intrigue of their relationship dynamics and JJ's already-established TV personality.

If he succeeds in his coaching role in terms of winning, great. But if he doesn't and LeBron and Bronny is a hit, then job done he's fulfilled his end of the bargain and hasn't really "failed".

The Lakers know they aren't winning another title before LeBron calls it quits becasue JJ and managemnt hasn't enough time to develop the roster, so this hire is about "the other thing". JJ wins even if he loses. Lakers management win even if they lose (marketing, people will wanna watch), and the bottomline is mostly the same regardless (they aren't winning anyway) so nothing lost (beside couple of years of development).

So, enjoy the show.

Jasper
06-21-2024, 09:18 AM
tell russel and the whit guy their minutes are cut because bronny has brought back bron....

ImKobe
06-21-2024, 09:22 AM
He's experienced as a media person and is connected with everyone around the league so he has that going for him at least.

Da_Realist
06-21-2024, 10:00 AM
I guess LeBron can pick and choose when to be pro-blackity-black. Every other franchise must bend the knee but it's ok for him to have the black coach fired so he can bring in an inexperienced white savior. The day after Juneteenth too!

FKAri
06-21-2024, 10:11 AM
1. Because Lebron said so
2. See #1

Wardell Curry
06-21-2024, 10:50 AM
Unfortunately, these jackasses in LA expect immediate, unwavering results. And that's why this is a risky hire.

In LA?

Mother****er, that's literally every coaching job in the NBA. Especially when you have two stars on the team.

He will get fired. The question is when.

Stephonit
06-21-2024, 10:57 AM
JJ Redick was a college heartthrob and Jeanie could use more eye candy at work.

Really who is more qualified?

ILLsmak
06-22-2024, 03:48 AM
u dudes are gonna shit when Bron goes somewhere else haha

-Smak

SATAN
06-22-2024, 04:54 AM
I guess LeBron can pick and choose when to be pro-blackity-black. Every other franchise must bend the knee but it's ok for him to have the black coach fired so he can bring in an inexperienced white savior. The day after Juneteenth too!

Typing through tears and clueless as usual. :oldlol:

Da_Realist
06-22-2024, 08:28 AM
LeBron was more interested in promoting and platforming his next coach than beating the Denver Nuggets.

ShawkFactory
06-22-2024, 09:12 AM

:lol

Aw man.