PDA

View Full Version : The fMVP is the Boston Celtics Defense

bdonovan
06-10-2024, 09:50 AM
I realize this will go over like a lead balloon with some but the fMVP is a meaningless award. Jason Kidd would rather lose the series by doubling Tatum than let Tatum score. He's confident in the approach because it worked well against the Wolves where there was no one who could create on the Wolves except for ANT.

It's not working against the Celtics because a) they have a 2nd player who can penetrate the defense (Brown), and b) The Celtics know how to play against teams over-guarding their top players- Tatum/Brown know how to pass out of the double, and the role-players know how to score when they get the kickout. Contrast that to ANT who just stopped trying when he saw the double, instead of drive and kick.

Brown/Tatum remind me of Jordan/Pippen on the defensive end. Both strong, fast players with an intensity on defense- smother the ball, close the passing lanes, pressure the ball-handler. Leaving little room for the opposing team's margin of error.

Both clearly have put the time in in the gym and with their conditioning. But not just them. There are times where Derrick White got switched on Gafford and prevented him from getting the ball in the post. Granted White is holding and grabbing Irving and others non stop and getting away with it. But the Playoffs allows it. Everyone on the Celtics is putting 100% on defense.

All it takes is one weak link to compromise a team's defense. On the Wolves, that was often KAT, who lazily left his man, or as often the case, refused to provide help defense. All it takes is one to break the defense, and the other team exploits it as the Mavs did.

Meanwhile with the Mavs, even their guards when switched on the bigs can handle their own. Jrue Holiday can keep almost anyone in front of him.

What makes the Celtics so good is they put 100% on both ends of the floor, all 5 starters. For Irving/Doncic, you see 100% on offense, and 50% on defense.

gengiskhan
06-10-2024, 09:59 AM
Slow Mo Luka chased from behind and stripped off while he was bringing the ball up.

how many times did that happen?

also, talk about that weird Luka over his back, cross court pass stolen by Brown.

I think Luka's obesity & playing style and 32 YO Kyrie's lack of strength and stamina are making Celtics defense actually look much better than they actually are.

Celtics defense is SOLID but not ELITE.

FKAri
06-10-2024, 01:06 PM
Don't put lipstick on that pig. Tatum's been cheeks.

bdonovan
06-11-2024, 07:44 AM
Slow Mo Luka chased from behind and stripped off while he was bringing the ball up.

how many times did that happen?

also, talk about that weird Luka over his back, cross court pass stolen by Brown.

I think Luka's obesity & playing style and 32 YO Kyrie's lack of strength and stamina are making Celtics defense actually look much better than they actually are.

Celtics defense is SOLID but not ELITE.

Might be. Though they did shut down other offensive juggernauts like the Pacers (who had the highest offensive rating in the NBA....except the Celtics).

Celtics reg season net rating was 11.7. Mavs had a 2.1. This is really not a fair fight. Interestingly the one team they had trouble shutting down during the regular season were the Timberwolves- who averaged 117 against them.

All Luka needs is one solid game to get people to forget he's out of shape.

bdonovan
06-11-2024, 07:45 AM
Don't put lipstick on that pig. Tatum's been cheeks.

Hasn't shot well but he's done other stuff well like distributing, individual, and team defense. I give him credit for attacking the double and triple, while ANT just passed away from it. Half of Holiday's points are from Tatum passing out of the double/triple. He's a beneficiary the same way Aaron Gordon is when defenses mob Jokic.

GimmeThat
06-11-2024, 10:25 AM
if you're saying the fMVP in a game of sports, is the teams aggression and ability to impose their will within the confine of the rule of a game, might as well just say the other team needs their head chopped with no purpose to their life whatsoever.

it's okay if you want to keep indulge in fantasy instead of what's real, just constantly remind yourself, "these fantasy foods won't end my life!"

FKAri
06-11-2024, 12:55 PM
Hasn't shot well but he's done other stuff well like distributing, individual, and team defense. I give him credit for attacking the double and triple, while ANT just passed away from it. Half of Holiday's points are from Tatum passing out of the double/triple. He's a beneficiary the same way Aaron Gordon is when defenses mob Jokic.

He's probably been the worst team defender but he's surrounded by amazing defenders so as long as he's solid that's good enough. As for his on ball D, he's getting hunted but some of that is the role he's been tasked with(guard the bigs to blow up the pick and roll) but even then Luka prefers him to Brown.

He has been good about passing out of the double but he's not creating shots for them. His best passes are out of triple threat, not from drive and kick attacks to the basket. The majority of Jrue's baskets are him reading the defense and putting himself in great spots. You can go watch Jrue's highlights and judge for yourself. Ant was not playing on the best 5 out team in basketball with this level of spacing and shooting around him. I think 2024 playoffs Ant would be an upgrade to Tatum on this team.

The thing with Tatum that makes him polarizing is that he's great at playing within the flow of the team and he's on a great team. But the other side of the coin is that in those rare moments(for Boston) where he needs to make something from nothing he's unable to. He lacks the creativity and decision making. It's polarizing because his fans only acknowledge the former and his haters only the latter.

Boston is a great team and maybe it's just that his teammates have been so brilliant that Tatum's fumbles stand out.