PDA

View Full Version : 50 pt games are so common nowadays. So why is 81 pts out of reach?

sbw19
01-23-2024, 02:26 AM
Play more open. Practically everyone can shoot, and random players hitting 40, stars having multiple 50 pt performances per season is the norm.

Yet scoring 81 is *exceedingly* difficult, despite coaches giving players the green light to shoot as many threes as they want, despite all the 140pt+ scores. Despite all of that.

I don't get it.

Wardell Curry
01-23-2024, 02:37 AM
Most teams throughout history including those of today won’t let a single player of theirs shoot that many shots even if they’re hot.

Defenses are going to leave people capable of shooting open when a star gets that hot.

It would require a really good star on a team of bad shooters that was also hell bent on shooting rather than making the right play.

Axe
01-23-2024, 02:45 AM
Not everyone would always play a crappy raptors team from the mid 00s. :confusedshrug:

dankok8
01-23-2024, 10:49 AM
Kobe's 81 will get broken in the next couple of years. Feel pretty confident saying that.

Lebron23
01-23-2024, 11:03 AM
Play more open. Practically everyone can shoot, and random players hitting 40, stars having multiple 50 pt performances per season is the norm.

Yet scoring 81 is *exceedingly* difficult, despite coaches giving players the green light to shoot as many threes as they want, despite all the 140pt+ scores. Despite all of that.

I don't get it.

Toronto Craptors

StrongLurk
01-23-2024, 11:55 AM
81 is 100% in reach, but it's rare that the game is competitive when one team has someone hitting 60 points. It CAN happen though just like last night with the Twolves.

Even so, Kobe's 81 point scoring game will still be the most impressive regular season scoring game of all time considering the era it happened in.

I would LOVE to see Lebron have the greenest light possible in his last game and try to chuck up 50 shots like Kobe did.