PDA

View Full Version : Who is the most like Kobe of the Kobe disciples today (Booker, Shai, Tatum, etc...)

Im Still Ballin
12-25-2023, 02:52 PM
This awesome video was uploaded recently. Maybe Kobe's best playoff run? I don't know; what do you think? I'm up to game 2 of the WCF.

He had such a beautiful game. What sticks out to me is his fantastic agility and flexibility. He could change pace and direction very well. He could move laterally and had exceptional pivot skills/footwork. A true versatile/diverse scorer who could score from anywhere on the court. So many counters and tricks in his bag. Pretty quick and could blow by guys but not like when he was younger.

Great ball handling and passing too. Always an underrated passer. The only obvious flaw was of course his shot selection at times. But even then he'd often draw multiple defenders and leave the paint open for his bigs to offensively rebound. You obviously want to make shots but Kobe did recoup some value from taking difficult shots over multiple guys...

I also enjoy an offense like the triangle much more than the modern ones today. The seamless harmony of ball and player movement, screening, high and low-post touches, perimeter shooting, slashing, interior passing, etc. There's beauty in a balanced offense. One that doesn't spam one possession ad nauseam.

Anyway, who do you think is the most like Kobe today? Tatum seems too much of a line-drive guy to me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4aNGjezTleg&ab_channel=FreeDawkins

Real Men Wear Green
12-25-2023, 02:59 PM
Shai or Booker. Tatum isn't as aggressive of a scorer and definitely more of a forward, almost a big.

highwhey
12-25-2023, 03:06 PM
its booker. and if u think shai is better thank booker, pass the coke over here

highwhey
12-25-2023, 03:10 PM
Shai or Booker. Tatum isn't as aggressive of a scorer and definitely more of a forward, almost a big.

he's also a lil bitch. and you better not ban me for saying that.

Real Men Wear Green
12-25-2023, 03:15 PM
he's also a lil bitch. and you better not ban me for saying that.

If I actually needed a reasonable excuse to ban you I could just wait a day or two for your routine flip out. As it stands Phoenix isn't even a play in team right now so you are possibly baiting me so that you have an excuse to disappear. I would say that makes you the bitch.

RRR3
12-25-2023, 03:16 PM
If I actually needed a reasonable excuse to ban you I could just wait a day or two for your routine flip out. As it stands Phoenix isn't even a play in team right now so you are possibly baiting me so that you have an excuse to disappear. I would say that makes you the bitch.
:roll:

Xiao Yao You
12-25-2023, 03:30 PM
The Bum certainly as big of a gunner just not very good at it

highwhey
12-25-2023, 03:34 PM

steve told me to leave you alone so....i won't actually say what's on my mind but everyone knows about you...and you're limp hand tendencies.

Real Men Wear Green
12-25-2023, 04:20 PM
steve told me to leave you alone so....i won't actually say what's on my mind but everyone knows about you...and you're limp hand tendencies.

Oh no. I'm being threatened with words. Hiding behind Steve no less. Moving on.

tpols
12-25-2023, 04:30 PM
A hugely underrated part of Kobes game was his athleticism. Tbh... none of these guys are even close. Tatum is too stiff, and Booker / SGA are too small.

One of the things the NBA is missing the most today is dunk and layup creativity.

Kobes dunk mixtape is one of the best ever.

https://youtu.be/guMmZrnFx70?si=ojY8dmq63kWhqWER

highwhey
12-25-2023, 04:34 PM
A hugely underrated part of Kobes game was his athleticism. Tbh... none of these guys are even close. Tatum is too stiff, and Booker / SGA are too small.

One of the things the NBA is missing the most today is dunk and layup creativity.

Kobes dunk mixtape is one of the best ever.

https://youtu.be/guMmZrnFx70?si=ojY8dmq63kWhqWER

book is listed at 6'6, probably 6'5 in reality but he has size for a guard, and uses it well in the post. actually underrated as a post player.

tpols
12-25-2023, 05:12 PM
book is listed at 6'6, probably 6'5 in reality but he has size for a guard, and uses it well in the post. actually underrated as a post player.

Book is super nice and crafty but his dunk mix is weak. Kobe was posterizing prime Ben Wallace, Garnett, Duncan, Robinson, Dwight, you name it. On top of all the crazy reverse dunks and alley oops.

Kobe was a near MJ or Lebron level athlete... in that respect Booker isn't even close.

SATAN
12-25-2023, 05:13 PM
SGA for stupid shot selection. Booker for athleticism. I don't think they make for good comparisons though.

BarberSchool
12-25-2023, 05:21 PM
Booker by far.

Tatum has zero killer mentality. Nicca a robot. Shai has the intelligence, but also no killer in him.

Phoenix
12-25-2023, 06:34 PM
Kobe was a near MJ or Lebron level athlete... in that respect Booker isn't even close.

Interesting that you say this. I've seen a number of Kobe fans argue that his athleticism wasn't tier 1, often to draw attention to his skill. He was more or less MJs athletic package dialed down, but absolutely an elite athlete.

tpols
12-25-2023, 07:02 PM
Interesting that you say this. I've seen a number of Kobe fans argue that his athleticism wasn't tier 1, often to draw attention to his skill. He was more or less MJs athletic package dialed down, but absolutely an elite athlete.

I don't see anybody nowadays attacking the rim like Kobe did. Even the centers like jokic and embiid are jumper based.

Where are the stars today capable of throwing down crazy dunks? They seem to not exist anymore. And the environment is ripe for them to dominate in.

BarberSchool
12-25-2023, 07:23 PM
I don't see anybody nowadays attacking the rim like Kobe did. Even the centers like jokic and embiid are jumper based.

Where are the stars today capable of throwing down crazy dunks? They seem to not exist anymore. And the environment is ripe for them to dominate in.Evolutions in team defensive rotations, and the allowance of zone, have both relegated the value of dunks to pick and roll lobs, and fast break finishing.

Great high post passers, and great pick and roll scoring threats who are willing passer, are the two greatest teammates to a dude whose main talent is cutting/dunking.

Half court dunks were far more common in the days of illegal defense. Many argue that “illegal defense” was designed with the intent of creating more high flying dunks to sell tickets/merch/the-league to the public.

WhiteKyrie
12-25-2023, 10:13 PM
None because Kobe played defense and was an elite warrior and competitor … and he was spawn of MJ’s dna. And none of those guys are built like that. Only superficial elements of Kobe.

ArbitraryWater
12-25-2023, 10:53 PM
None because Kobe played defense and was an elite warrior and competitor … and he was spawn of MJ’s dna. And none of those guys are built like that. Only superficial elements of Kobe.

Bro are you retarded?

SATAN
12-26-2023, 12:22 AM

Where are the stars today capable of throwing down crazy dunks? They seem to not exist anymore. And the environment is ripe for them to dominate in.

Huh? Even Kawhi has thrown down some nice dunks in traffic this season.