PDA

View Full Version : The In Season Tournament is a Farce

Walk on Water
12-08-2023, 04:55 AM
It's too confusing. You have wild cards, point differential. Then the Finalists play 83 games, but the Finals don't count as a regular season game. But yet, the Semi Finals count toward a regular season game. If you have a tie with point differential, then you go by points.

I guarantee most people have a hard time following and understanding it. It's a clown show. I don't understand it, don't know who's still left in it.

GimmeThat
12-08-2023, 05:38 AM
there's no I in team

SATAN
12-08-2023, 06:35 AM
It's too confusing. You have wild cards, point differential. Then the Finalists play 83 games, but the Finals don't count as a regular season game. But yet, the Semi Finals count toward a regular season game. If you have a tie with point differential, then you go by points.

I guarantee most people have a hard time following and understanding it. It's a clown show. I don't understand it, don't know who's still left in it.

Are you ok bro?

warriorfan
12-08-2023, 08:34 AM
Well put.

rawimpact
12-08-2023, 09:03 AM
there's no I in team

But there is a 'M' and a 'E'

Going back to OP, it has to be that way unfortunately to make it a even in terms of calculating total points scored in a season etc. Can't have asterisks because a certain player played an extra game. That's why when calculating all time scoring playoffs are omitted because it is an individual stat and you are including team performance in that.

I actually didn't think about the extra game being played. So my understanding players get 50K, 100k, 200k and 500k for making quarter finals, semifinals, finals and winning respectively. So the last game, which does not count towards player totals is a 500K winning game. Lebron makes 500k/game anyways so it's a wash for him lol... i'm not suggesting hes doing this for money by any means but just pointing it out.

ILLsmak
12-08-2023, 12:59 PM
Be nice to see bran win another championship before he retires. Never thought id see it. Can use 500k to add something nice to the museum.

-Smak

FireDavidKahn
12-08-2023, 01:20 PM
Nah.

I thought the IST would be terrible but it's turned out to actually be a great idea. The players actually care about it and are playing their assess off. With the prize being 500k to everyone on the winning team...that's a hell of a lot of money to a team like the Pacers who have a ton of cheap contracts.

Pacers only have 3 players making more then 10 million this year. Imagine an NBA player making almost 10% of your yearly pay check by winning the in season tournament.

Very rare Adam Silver W. Maybe tweak the rules a tad but the idea as a whole turned out to be terrific

SaltyMeatballs
12-08-2023, 01:32 PM
It's kind of fun actually. Adds some spice to the long regular season

Airupthere
12-08-2023, 01:36 PM
If anything, I think people are paying attention only because it's new. In the grand scheme, the results don't mean anything. I imagine people will value it much less in the coming years. Let's see.

Keno
12-08-2023, 01:55 PM
of course you think that, it's the same people who are saying the bubble doesn't count, due to lebron being the best and winning it all. :oldlol:

Walk on Water
12-08-2023, 02:16 PM
of course you think that, it's the same people who are saying the bubble doesn't count, due to lebron being the best and winning it all. :oldlol:

Oh so you’re saying this counts?

Airupthere
12-08-2023, 02:46 PM

Had the lakers lost in the bubble, I assure you, the rabid LBJTQ would have been everywhere discrediting whoever won.

This in season has nothing to do with a certain player. It just doesn't mean anything. As others are saying here, they only like that it makes certain regular season games more competitive. Every team still has the POs and ultimately the ring to compete for. This is merely for the NBA to pocket in more money and suck in people like you.

Hey Yo
12-08-2023, 03:42 PM
Had the lakers lost in the bubble, I assure you, the rabid LBJTQ would have been everywhere discrediting whoever won.

This in season has nothing to do with a certain player. It just doesn't mean anything. As others are saying here, they only like that it makes certain regular season games more competitive. Every team still has the POs and ultimately the ring to compete for. This is merely for the NBA to pocket in more money and suck in people like you.

Had the 95 Bulls won the championship, I assure you the rabid MJGAYTQ would have been everywhere saying that was his 4th ring.

tpols
12-08-2023, 03:56 PM
I understand they did it to get regular season motivation up but Lakers and Pacers? That's a weak ass Finals.

Right now the standings dictate that both LA and Indiana could be 1st round exits having to play Dallas and Philly in the 1st round of a 7 game series.

ShawkFactory
12-08-2023, 04:06 PM
I understand they did it to get regular season motivation up but Lakers and Pacers? That's a weak ass Finals.

Right now the standings dictate that both LA and Indiana could be 1st round exits having to play Dallas and Philly in the 1st round of a 7 game series.

Lakers would be favored over Dallas.

bison
12-08-2023, 04:11 PM

you might literally be retarded if you find the tournament structure "confusing"

tontoz
12-08-2023, 04:15 PM
you might literally be retarded if you find the tournament structure "confusing"

Seriously i have to wonder what type of job OP has if he finds this confusing.

SaltyMeatballs
12-08-2023, 04:20 PM
It was confusing at first but after glancing at the rules and format for like 5 minutes, it's very easy to understand

tpols
12-08-2023, 04:39 PM
It still is confusing because who knew about all this point differential stuff or what matchups led to the brackets being formed for the elimination games? Almost nobody. You could've been watching a game and not even realize it would lead to whatever the final tournament was gonna be.

And now they say the tournament "championship" is not even going to count for the real playoff standings? That means it's an exhibition game, right?

It's just a jumbled mess. If anything this tournament championship game should count as 3 regular season wins to give the winner a heads up in playoff standings but they're literally not even going to count it?

:roll:

It makes no sense.

Airupthere
12-08-2023, 04:50 PM
It's a temporary and meaningless incentive/motivation for the players to play better (something the teams should all be doing anyway) for the NBA to get more money.

fsvr54
12-08-2023, 05:05 PM
Causal don't give a f about this. The only people talking about it or watching it are people who would be watching the regular season anyways

Hey Yo
12-08-2023, 05:17 PM
It's a temporary and meaningless incentive/motivation for the players to play better (something the teams should all be doing anyway) for the NBA to get more money.

Still crying cause it involves who else...... Lebron

:oldlol:

3ba11
12-08-2023, 05:19 PM
It's just another way to give a participation award and include everyone and have more ambiguity and plausible deniability for losing arguments or false narratives that the media wants to push - so now you can say that some bum that won a 5-game tournament is equal to a Finals winner if you want - it's now possible and in the ether to say that because of the existence of this ridiculous charade of an AAU tourney - the NBA makes AAU look bad

ShawkFactory
12-08-2023, 05:30 PM

Is players playing harder a bad thing?

Airupthere
12-08-2023, 05:31 PM
Still crying cause it involves who else...... Lebron

:oldlol:

Where did I mention that player's name in this thread?

Airupthere
12-08-2023, 05:33 PM
Is players playing harder a bad thing?

It should be expected from the players getting paid millions. No need to be treated like kids with incentives that don't do anything with regards to the actual ring.

ShawkFactory
12-08-2023, 05:34 PM
It should be expected from the players getting paid millions. No need to be treated like kids with incentives that don't do anything with regards to the actual ring.

Perhaps. But unfortunately that isn't the reality. Hasn't been for a while.

Hey Yo
12-08-2023, 05:38 PM
Where did I mention that player's name in this thread?

You didn't have to, chico..... all your posts have to with him.

Walk on Water
12-08-2023, 05:41 PM
It was confusing at first but after glancing at the rules and format for like 5 minutes, it's very easy to understand

Did you know about point differential from looking at it? 99 percent of the average population is not gonna bother trying to figure it out. You talk to a casual fan and they’ll have no idea what you’re talking about.

Walk on Water
12-08-2023, 05:43 PM

I understand it now but the vast majority 99 pct of the average population will not even try to figure out the in season tournament structure.

Walk on Water
12-08-2023, 05:46 PM
It still is confusing because who knew about all this point differential stuff or what matchups led to the brackets being formed for the elimination games? Almost nobody. You could've been watching a game and not even realize it would lead to whatever the final tournament was gonna be.

And now they say the tournament "championship" is not even going to count for the real playoff standings? That means it's an exhibition game, right?

It's just a jumbled mess. If anything this tournament championship game should count as 3 regular season wins to give the winner a heads up in playoff standings but they're literally not even going to count it?

It makes no sense.

I agree with you. Outside of people following very closely, nobody is going to try to figure it out. Even my friend was asking why he should figure it out when he has to work and drive home. He might watch a game and the playoffs, but he sure isn’t gonna bother following the tournament. Once I mentioned point differential, he said okay that’s enough, I’m not interested.

Jasper
12-08-2023, 07:33 PM

bucks are in the championship against boston

tontoz
12-08-2023, 08:13 PM
I agree with you. Outside of people following very closely, nobody is going to try to figure it out. Even my friend was asking why he should figure it out when he has to work and drive home. He might watch a game and the playoffs, but he sure isn’t gonna bother following the tournament. Once I mentioned point differential, he said okay that’s enough, I’m not interested.

If this is such a farce and it bothers you so much why did you wait this long to complain about it? Could it be your view about a certain player that's in the finals is affecting your judgement?

Duderonomy
12-08-2023, 08:22 PM
It's looking like a dud soo far. Also if the Pacers never played the Lakers yet, theoretically the winner should be able to cancel out the future road game with a W. But no none of that was thought out we have a meaningless exhibition game.

Norcaliblunt
12-08-2023, 08:49 PM
Hate to say it but it would be pretty interesting if a star player happened to go down with an injury during this game. What the talk and debate would be?

bison
12-08-2023, 09:22 PM
If this is such a farce and it bothers you so much why did you wait this long to complain about it? Could it be your view about a certain player that's in the finals is affecting your judgement?

:lebronamazed:

bison
12-08-2023, 09:23 PM
Hate to say it but it would be pretty interesting if a star player happened to go down with an injury during this game. What the talk and debate would be?

Niqqas on this forum literally cheering for guys to get injured :facepalm:

Does anyone on this forum enjoy watching basketball anymore? If not why are you still here?

sdot_thadon
12-08-2023, 09:31 PM
It's almost like the people who can't figure this out have never watched a FIBA tournament....

Full Court
12-08-2023, 09:43 PM
The funny thing is that NOBODY cared at all about the in season tournament....until they thought the Lakers might have a chance to win. Now all the Bronie fluffers are all into it. "Oooo ooooo ooooooo we can finally boost his legacy!!!"

bladefd
12-09-2023, 12:44 AM
Are you ok bro?

LeBron is on pace to win the in-season tournament so be prepared for threads raging at the in-season tournament :oldlol:

Axe
12-09-2023, 01:01 AM
LeBron is on pace to win the in-season tournament so be prepared for threads raging at the in-season tournament :oldlol:
He hasn't even won it all yet and they're boiling with blood already. :roll:

Just think about it; if he wins it all, they will just whine that it's nonsense bullshit by the league. But if the opposite happens, they will bring it up on a daily basis to degrade him to oblivion. Can't have it both ways.

SATAN
12-09-2023, 01:05 AM

An MJ stan I know has already declared this whole thing meaningless and claimed LeBron is only playing well so he can say he got 5 championships. It's beyond pathetic. It puts me off even hanging out with him having to hear such ignorance and low IQ takes lol.

GimmeThat
12-09-2023, 01:27 AM
imagine if the reward for the In Season Tournament is the winning teams gets close to the floor seats for their fan base on road games

Walk on Water
12-09-2023, 03:47 AM
He hasn't even won it all yet and they're boiling with blood already. :roll:

Just think about it; if he wins it all, they will just whine that it's nonsense bullshit by the league. But if the opposite happens, they will bring it up on a daily basis to degrade him to oblivion. Can't have it both ways.

Nope. In Season Tournament is a farce. If Lebron lost, I wouldn't think twice about it. But if this elevates him, this is the cheapest title ever. People would say that Jordan never won an in season tournament. But how could Bird, Jordan or anyone win an in season tournament when it never existed? I know that's what Lebron's fans are going to do. They are going to count this tournament. A lot of players weren't even aware of the point differential and weren't even into the tournament. Lebron is trying really hard for this and got the whistle the other night vs The Suns.

Think about it. How come The Lakers only have a decent record right now but in the tournament they're unbeatable? Something ain't right. Lebron cares more about this tournament when everyone else didn't even know how it worked. It's a clown show. I don't want to hear about how this counts as a 5th ring. I know that's what Lebron's fans are going to do.

Shaquille O'Neal
12-09-2023, 08:36 AM
Be nice to see bran win another championship before he retires. Never thought id see it. Can use 500k to add something nice to the museum.

-Smak

I don't see that happening - him winning another championship. June's a long way off. Surely you don't consider when the Lakers win tomorrow a championship do you? They played the Jazz, the Trailblazers without Dame, Phoenix without Beal, etc. Never in the history of sport has a more meaningless cup ever been offered up. This isn't a championship.

Shaquille O'Neal
12-09-2023, 08:42 AM
Nope. In Season Tournament is a farce. If Lebron lost, I wouldn't think twice about it. But if this elevates him, this is the cheapest title ever. People would say that Jordan never won an in season tournament. But how could Bird, Jordan or anyone win an in season tournament when it never existed? I know that's what Lebron's fans are going to do. They are going to count this tournament. A lot of players weren't even aware of the point differential and weren't even into the tournament. Lebron is trying really hard for this and got the whistle the other night vs The Suns.

Think about it. How come The Lakers only have a decent record right now but in the tournament they're unbeatable? Something ain't right. Lebron cares more about this tournament when everyone else didn't even know how it worked. It's a clown show. I don't want to hear about how this counts as a 5th ring. I know that's what Lebron's fans are going to do.

This is a joke for so many reasons - LA didn't play anybody, they're a .500 team. There were no playoff rounds. This is just to try to get fans into the game since the ratings are so poor now.
But you have to admit, the pattern is suspect:

2019 - LBJ comes to LA. Doesn't make the playoffs.
2020 - 5 month mid-season break. Bubble ring and 2 more "play-in" spots are added to the playoffs (so even the lowly #10 seed has a chance).
2022 - Lakers get a substantially higher amount of free throws in their favor, yet their points in the paint are the league average.
2023 - Very early in-season tournament that's based on a "random" pairing of teams from their record last year. Most of those teams lost key players.

Notice you didn't see Lakers have to go through Minnesota, Denver, Clippers, Thunder or hell even the Kings did you?
Plus the biggest joke - a score differential? So we blow a team out and keep our starters out there?

This feels like an extended awful all-star game to me.

Hey Yo
12-09-2023, 09:30 AM
LOL @ Shookquille

Axe
12-10-2023, 12:35 AM

I don't consider this stuff as a fifth ring for him or anything reasonably equivalent either. But the meltdowns that will take place after the win will surely be fun to see.

Shaquille O'Neal
12-10-2023, 12:46 AM
Puzzling how a guy with 24 pts and 6 TO's beats out the MVP over a guy with 41 and 20 rebounds.
AD should be pissed.

Keno
12-10-2023, 12:54 AM
Puzzling how a guy with 24 pts and 6 TO's beats out the MVP over a guy with 41 and 20 rebounds.
AD should be pissed.

it's MVP for the whole tournament dumbass, not just this game. :lol

SATAN
12-10-2023, 12:56 AM
They are so mad!

Walk on Water
12-10-2023, 07:38 AM
it's MVP for the whole tournament dumbass, not just this game. :lol

Those were just regular season games. Nobody can keep track of whether or not it was an in season game or a regular season game.

But Davis outplayed Lebron in the FINAL game. I don't understand how Lebron could win it.

Axe
12-10-2023, 08:35 AM
Those were just regular season games. Nobody can keep track of whether or not it was an in season game or a regular season game.

But Davis outplayed Lebron in the FINAL game. I don't understand how Lebron could win it.
Because the mvp is determined by their overall performance in the whole ist. Not just in the final game, dummy.