PDA

View Full Version : Wemby might end the small ball era

90sgoat
11-03-2023, 07:34 AM
I just realized that Wemby might end the ball small era by himself.

He's simply too tall to play small centers against, like we saw against Suns, just lob the ball in and it's a wrap.

All teams are going to need some 7 footers now and preferably taller.

:applause:

Wemby will end the small ball era :bowdown:

Im Still Ballin
11-03-2023, 07:48 AM
If he adds 30-40 pounds without losing mobility like AD and Giannis did, it's a wrap. AD was drafted at like 215 pounds in 2012 and was 253 pounds by late 2015.

That extra size and strength will allow Victor to get and maintain deep position in the paint and not be pushed out of his preferred spots.

Here's AD at 253+ pounds looking as athletic and fluid as he ever was:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cVH0AfRKoBo&pp=ygUgYW50aG9ueSBkYXZpcyAyMDE1LTE2IGhpZ2hsaWdodHM %3D

Hopefully, Victor's game develops similarly. Lobs, rolls, dump-offs, cuts, attacking closeouts, putbacks, deep post position, etc.

Full Court
11-03-2023, 08:04 AM
Yeah, there's a good chance of it. I figure the small ball era's about to end sooner or later. Now that everyone's shooting three pointers, we're going to get back to height giving the advantage.

Phoenix
11-03-2023, 08:25 AM
I need to find the post on here several years ago where I said I'm just waiting for the 7'2 shooting guard. Wemby said 'hold my beer' and added 2 more inches.

tontoz
11-03-2023, 08:34 AM
To be fair Jokic and Giannis have 2 MVPs each, Embiid 1.

Phoenix
11-03-2023, 09:04 AM
To be fair Jokic and Giannis have 2 MVPs each, Embiid 1.

That's true. And we kind of take the current league as if everyone shoots it like Steph or even Dame. When those guys sail off into the sunset and the league gives way to do it all bigs, you may slowly see a slight downturn in how much the 3pointer is utilized. Most of the 10s were teams figuring out how to catch up to the Warriors once they peaked.

FireDavidKahn
11-03-2023, 09:20 AM
Wemby wont change the game at all.

You can't teach his height so he is literally one of the biggest outliers in NBA history.

Everyone, tall/short/average in height, have already been possessively shooting the 3 for years now.

People like Curry can more change the game because his physique is a lot more achievable for anyone to mimic. All it comes down to is skill.

Wardell Curry
11-03-2023, 10:34 AM

You can't teach his height so he is literally one of the biggest outliers in NBA history.

Everyone, tall/short/average in height, have already been possessively shooting the 3 for years now.

People like Curry can more change the game because his physique is a lot more achievable for anyone to mimic. All it comes down to is skill.

Do you realize how many 7 foot big ass stiffs were getting paid to be in the league in the late 90s and early 2000s simply because of Shaquille O'Neal? Most rosters had goons that had no business otherwise being in the league just because of Shaq's physical dominance.

Xiao Yao You
11-03-2023, 10:54 AM
Doubt he ends it but more teams have been playing bigger the past couple years anyway. Jazz, Cavs and Twolves for sure

Goldrush25
11-03-2023, 11:09 AM
I just realized that Wemby might end the ball small era by himself.

He's simply too tall to play small centers against, like we saw against Suns, just lob the ball in and it's a wrap.

All teams are going to need some 7 footers now and preferably taller.

:applause:

Wemby will end the small ball era :bowdown:

End the small ball era? Well shite all teams have to do is go get their own 7'4'' wunderkind type of talent. We'll have a league full of Wembys in no time. Easy peasy. I wonder why no one thought of this sooner.

999Guy
11-03-2023, 11:16 AM
Do you realize how many 7 foot big ass stiffs were getting paid to be in the league in the late 90s and early 2000s simply because of Shaquille O'Neal? Most rosters had goons that had no business otherwise being in the league just because of Shaq's physical dominance.

Yup. OP brought up a good point.

Long freaky looking idiots will get their run at things now. To say nothing of traditional bigs.

Wembanyama seems once in a couple generations good. The NBA will adjust to that.

999Guy
11-03-2023, 11:18 AM
End the small ball era? Well shite all teams have to do is go get their own 7'4'' wunderkind type of talent. We'll have a league full of Wembys in no time. Easy peasy. I wonder why no one thought of this sooner.

Wemby stoppers will be sought after.

People don’t realize what his face up game is about to do to the league. He will utterly live at the free throw line. And when that happens you need bodies. Big ones.

Dbrog
11-03-2023, 12:04 PM

I originally thought this as well but here's where it's wrong. It's not Wemby himself but rather the system that can show it can win. I would argue things are already changing somewhat since the Nuggz won the chip, and think we would see significant change if they won again. They really aren't a huge 3pt shooting team and certainly it's not core to their philosophy. They have a 7 footer running the 3 for them at times and have a strong focus on paint presence and passing up an open shot for an even better one. It's very old school and Pop is already showing a similar model with these Spurs...after all he's the one that originally popularized it. More and more people around the league are going to be forced to take notice as the "superteams" get beat by this more fundamental style of basketball. THAT is what can be replicated, 7'4 superstar or not

Duffy Pratt
11-03-2023, 12:48 PM
People brought in big bodies to have something for Shaq to push against and because hackashaq was somewhat viable as a strategy, so you needed stiffs to give up those fouls.

What will happen in response to Wemby is still completely in the air. Assuming he is durable and improves, we still don't know whether there is any defense that will work. The scary thing is that he hasn't yet shown much as a post player, largely because his teammates don't seem to have any ability at throwing a post entry pass. However, going out and getting tall guys to counter him seems dumb at this point. The thing that distinguishes him from almost every other tall guy is that he has tremendous mobility and a great shooting touch for his size.

BTW, what has the league done to respond to Joker? What did it do to respond to Kareem? Sometimes, players are just better. Before you start throwing a body type out there to match, you need to have some reason to think that it will work.