PDA

View Full Version : Do you also wonder how NBA teams do trades during the draft?

Akeem34TheDream
07-18-2023, 02:22 PM
I mean the whole process of it. It is few people sitting around a table and arguing, right? There is some mystery to it because they are private meetings. However I can't help but wonder about small details. Is the owner there? Are they in a hurry? Do they rush big deals? Sure, it is similar to other front office moves but the timer and teams racing to offer deals during the draft should make things interesting. I would love to see some of those meetings recorded. Did other teams offer silly deals to get Wembanyama? What was the conversation like when Hawks decided to give 3rd pick(Doncic) in 2018 in exchange for Trae and a 2019 1st. Were the Hawks front office confident about their decision or did they regret it 10 minutes later? How about that Kawhi-George Hill trade? There must be at least someone in Pacers FO that hated the trade.

I am also very interested in seeing who talks how much? Do experts dominate the conversation as they should or the owner that has never watched any of them or the coach that will be fired has a say? There should be a money guy in there as well. How many people are there in the room? Is there anyone who makes the final decision or is it a democratic process? Is the table round or rectangular? How many phone calls do they make on average? Of course it's different in every circumstance but i would love to see that. I would watch a documentary about Webber and Hardaway trade.

I want to say that I was inspired by this article (https://www.esa.int/esapub/bulletin/bullet99/bande99.pdf) and this video (https://www.youtube.com/shorts/WOI7PYdWohM). I know it is a bit incoherent post but I tried my best.

Jasper
07-19-2023, 09:25 AM
I can tell you it isn't silly meeting , and they do not argue.

Bucks front office have several scouts targeting all kinds of players.
Not one player is off the board.
but the board has 'to get' players at the top.

When they discuss who is the better player at the time , and if a swap or trade needs to occur , it is all based on percentages.

That is why I am kind of surprised that they have not offered Jrue Holiday for Dame.
But here is what is even more incredible ...

Bucks franchise looks at the person , and as an upstanding citizen for the community as well as a good representation of the franchise.

Other than Giannis, Jrue is right there with his wife , helping the community and team.

That says something about the Bucks players and franchise