PDA

View Full Version : 10 teams have won a ring since the start of the “superteam” era.

Kblaze8855
06-13-2023, 12:22 AM
I’ll call that 08 when the Celtics formed. You have the Celtics, Lakers, Mavs, Heat, Spurs, Warriors, Cavs, Raptors, Bucks, and Nuggets. 6 of those teams had either never won or had been down for 40-50 years. Ten franchises with rings in 15 years. In the 15 before that? Only 5.

Has the madness of team hopping actually increased parity by constantly building and destroying new teams and creating general chaos?

Is a fan today more likely than ever to see his team win despite assumptions that one or two teams would be able to compete if this weren’t stopped?

Players keep mobbing up it just…doesn’t seem to work as well as they hoped. And it leaves the league in absolute chaos year.

Cant rely on any power staying a power. Might benefit the “second class” teams that just build quietly and rely on chemistry.

The star squads seem to fall apart too quickly.

Spurs m8
06-13-2023, 12:23 AM
Lucky one of the all time great chokers played in this era

RRR3
06-13-2023, 12:25 AM
Injuries leading Wade to a premature decline and Durant and Klay having potentially career ending injuries had a pretty big part in that to be fair. Heck, KG was never the same after he got hurt in 2009.

Axe
06-13-2023, 12:26 AM
And the charlotte hornets remain the only eastern team to still not make the finals.

https://media.npr.org/assets/img/2016/03/29/ap_090911089838_sq-3271237f28995f6530d9634ff27228cae88e3440-s600-c85.webp

KissMySwag
06-13-2023, 12:48 AM

Which one?

Manny98
06-13-2023, 08:07 AM
League is the most competitive it's ever been

Not one person would have predicted a Denver vs Miami finals because there's so much competition where the 7 and 8 seeds can beat the 1 and 2 seeds

SouBeachTalents
06-13-2023, 08:35 AM
It just shows how fcking stupid fans are that they complained about superteams and how there was no parity in the league, when the eras they celebrate, the 80's, 90's & '00's, had legitimately no parity whatsoever :lol It just shows nostalgia produces the strongest bias there is.

But I feel like the days of the real superteams, multiple stars joining forces in a new destination, will at least be on hiatus for now. The Warriors frankly had such a unique situation, a 73 win team being able to add a top 20 player ever without losing a single guy of value, it's hard to even count them, it was a once in a lifetime situation that will very likely never be duplicated again. And while Miami was overall successful, they clearly had their rocky moments and struggled a lot more in the playoffs that people would have expected.

What will really kill the superteams are the ones from this decade. the Nets & Clippers were such colossal and unmitigated disasters, and the Nets a franchises worst nightmare, I think that will make GM's wary of going that route, at least for the time being. I'm sure when the next superteam gets formed within the next 5 years and it's an actual success, it wouldn't surprise me if the trend continues again. But I think the two recent examples will make for a strong cautionary tale for years to come.

StrongLurk
06-13-2023, 08:54 AM
Free Agency might have allowed way more "superteams" to form compared to the past...but this actually ADDS parity to the league.

Jasper
06-13-2023, 09:35 AM
glad OP defined super team era....

cause the Bucks are not a colluded super team .

Wally450
06-13-2023, 12:51 PM
Which one?

Kawhi Leonard.

Micku
06-13-2023, 01:06 PM
I think the talent just got better over time. The parity is crazy rn. Where you have multiple teams that could go the distance. An 8th seed beating a 1st seed. 7th seed beating a 2nd seed. At the moment, it's just smart roster construction.

I don't even think the "superteam" era started this as much as you got a spark of multiple talent all across the league. You can argue it's because of the rules change and etc. But it hasn't been this good since the 80s. Arguably better.

SouBeachTalents
06-13-2023, 01:13 PM
I think the talent just got better over time. The parity is crazy rn. Where you have multiple teams that could go the distance. An 8th seed beating a 1st seed. 7th seed beating a 2nd seed. At the moment, it's just smart roster construction.

I don't even think the "superteam" era started this as much as you got a spark of multiple talent all across the league. You can argue it's because of the rules change and etc. But it hasn't been this good since the 80s. Arguably better.
Huh? The 80's had literally some of the worst parity of all time :lol Unless I misread your post.

Micku
06-13-2023, 01:31 PM
Huh? The 80's had literally some of the worst parity of all time :lol Unless I misread your post.

Individual talent.

We have Jokic, Giannis, Embiid, Curry, Luka, KD, LeBron, AD, Tatum, Kawhi, Ja Morant, Booker etc etc.

In the 80s, we had Magic, Bird, MJ, Kareem, Mchale, Barkley, K.Malone, Moses Malone, Isiah, Wilkins etc.

The talent we have now is more crazy I think because it's deeper. It's easier to score now, so you have to take that into consideration.

Lebron23
06-13-2023, 02:57 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTPahCLHWpc

Overdrive
06-13-2023, 04:53 PM
I’ll call that 08 when the Celtics formed. You have the Celtics, Lakers, Mavs, Heat, Spurs, Warriors, Cavs, Raptors, Bucks, and Nuggets. 6 of those teams had either never won or had been down for 40-50 years. Ten franchises with rings in 15 years. In the 15 before that? Only 5.

Has the madness of team hopping actually increased parity by constantly building and destroying new teams and creating general chaos?

Is a fan today more likely than ever to see his team win despite assumptions that one or two teams would be able to compete if this weren’t stopped?

Players keep mobbing up it just…doesn’t seem to work as well as they hoped. And it leaves the league in absolute chaos year.

Cant rely on any power staying a power. Might benefit the “second class” teams that just build quietly and rely on chemistry.

The star squads seem to fall apart too quickly.

One point I think is the change in playstyle the Warriors brought forth, not the superteam era. The Warriors initiated a league wide rethinking what kind of talent is needed to succeed possible. You can surround your star with a 2nd option and mainly 3&D guys and it will lead to some sort of success depending on the quality of the star and 2nd option.

Another point is that for 15 years Lebron on a team made it an contender. During this era he played with 3 teams and one with all 3 of them.