PDA

View Full Version : Modern vs Old School NBA: Are they the same sport?

iamgine
05-25-2023, 11:30 PM
There has been so many rule changes that I feel it's a similar but different sport.

For example, players back then only can only do 'palm down' dribbling. They had no 3pt line. Even when they did, it didn't take off for years and years. There were handchecks, illegal defense, no zone, difference charging rules, etc.

Feels like marathon vs sprint, essentially both are running towards the finish line but the strategies, training and skills are quite different.

lxlHoTsAuSelxl
05-25-2023, 11:48 PM
The unlimited chucking of 3 pointers, palming/carry of ball, the dumb rip through for a foul(they started cracking down on that bs more), soft centers who only shoot threes. Game totals 250 compare to 150. The extra extra extra step back(James Harden) jumper.

L.Kizzle
05-25-2023, 11:50 PM
It's like playing a keyboard. I can use the keyboard as the standard piano sound or I can program it to sound like a organ, synthesizer even a drum machine and marching band. I'm still playing a keyboard which is the basis of the piano instrument.

Jasper
05-26-2023, 12:29 AM
same sport ... yep - they use a round ball.

(and beat it like a drum)

90sgoat
05-26-2023, 06:06 AM
I think the sport has changed, also on the playgrounds, to the level, it's not quite the sport I grew up playing in the 90s.

I notice that most people carry and palm the ball in dribbles also on lower levels, which has changed the game into more dribble drive oriented and less team ball.

When I played, you'd get called for those dribbles every single time.

GimmeThat
05-26-2023, 06:55 AM
just because my new wife makes me healthier, doesn't mean when I was with my ex-wife, I was gay.

Full Court
05-26-2023, 03:14 PM
just because my new wife makes me healthier, doesn't mean when I was with my ex-wife, I was gay.

Technically, it does.

GimmeThat
05-26-2023, 03:22 PM
Technically, it does.

technically, it'd make me bi actually. it wasn't as if I was having sex with a piece of meat.

AlternativeAcc.
05-26-2023, 03:42 PM
It's a much tougher sport. It's an extreme combo of skill and athleticism. There's far more running, cutting, and switching on defense which puts a lot of strain on tendons and ligaments.

The old game where a big man dominated was more of a prodding game. Sure, you got more bruises and a bit more contact, but it was easier on the body overall. Lots of one on one's and isos with your big man. A primitive and ugly game. The game today is far more sophisticated and harder to dominate.

GimmeThat
05-26-2023, 03:49 PM
It's a much tougher sport. It's an extreme combo of skill and athleticism. There's far more running, cutting, and switching on defense which puts a lot of strain on tendons and ligaments.

The old game where a big man dominated was more of a prodding game. Sure, you got more bruises and a bit more contact, but it was easier on the body overall. Lots of one on one's and isos with your big man. A primitive and ugly game. The game today is far more sophisticated and harder to dominate.

more like everyone just plays in their birthday suit now

tpols
05-26-2023, 03:52 PM
I feel like the lack of palm down dribbling allows for elite athletes to dominate more. Durant or Giannis dribbling like Bob Cousy doesn't allow them to take advantage of their athletic gifts. Throwing the ball ahead and sprinting after it like a self pass does.

GimmeThat
05-26-2023, 03:57 PM
I feel like the lack of palm down dribbling allows for elite athletes to dominate more. Durant or Giannis dribbling like Bob Cousy doesn't allow them to take advantage of their athletic gifts. Throwing the ball ahead and sprinting after it like a self pass does.

one's a relay, one's Nascar

tpols
05-26-2023, 04:10 PM
one's a relay, one's Nascar

McDonalds ain't taco bell. That's why Lance Armstrong dominated golf.

GimmeThat
05-26-2023, 04:16 PM
McDonalds ain't taco bell. That's why Lance Armstrong dominated golf.

so you're saying all those niche restaruants were created because people thought McDonalds and Taco Bell are the same?

tpols
05-26-2023, 04:27 PM
so you're saying all those niche restaruants were created because people thought McDonalds and Taco Bell are the same?

That's exactly what I'm saying.