PDA

View Full Version : Negative wingspans on nba players just look so weird.

Kblaze8855
03-15-2023, 05:59 PM
Bane is only by 2 inches and he looks like a poorly drawn anime character.

https://www.hostpic.org/images/2303160326070364.png

https://www.hostpic.org/images/2303160326380378.jpeg

Kblaze8855
03-15-2023, 06:01 PM
They rarely get drafted. I’ve only found evidence of 10 of them in the last 20 years and only two of them are names most people would know. JJ Redick, and Kelly Olynyk. Frank the Tank and Mason Plumee as well if you wanna count them as well known.

Real disadvantage obviously. Just looks…off.

Kblaze8855
03-15-2023, 06:18 PM
And isn’t it crazy that the tallest person in NBA history also has the largest positive wingspan? Manute Bol was 7 foot seven with an 8 foot six wingspan. It’s the biggest difference ever in the nba. Dude was like a joke created player on 2K. I can’t imagine trying to get off shots around him as a normal human. No wonder he blocked 31 shots in a college game. Almost had a triple triple double. Had I think 32/31/29.

ArbitraryWater
03-15-2023, 06:27 PM
that first pic is shopped, lol

L.Kizzle
03-15-2023, 06:28 PM
Kevin Willis had short arms and surprisingly small feet. I think he wore size 10 shoes.

Kblaze8855
03-15-2023, 06:32 PM
that first pic is shopped, lol

entirely possible. When you look it up, there are so many. The original one that got attention looks weird as well. The ones from college too. Not that he’s really losing the arms race. He clearly built them up.

tontoz
03-15-2023, 06:35 PM
Pretty sure cp3 qualifies.

Kblaze8855
03-15-2023, 06:36 PM
https://www.hostpic.org/images/2303160405060351.jpeg

Kblaze8855
03-15-2023, 06:37 PM
Pretty sure cp3 qualifies.

Combine says his wingspan is 6’4” but his standing reach is curiously low.

Full Court
03-15-2023, 06:46 PM
Bane is only by 2 inches and he looks like a poorly drawn anime character.

https://www.hostpic.org/images/2303160326070364.png

https://www.hostpic.org/images/2303160326380378.jpeg

Desmond Bane is a freak of nature.

And he's part t-rex.

ArbitraryWater
03-15-2023, 09:43 PM
entirely possible. When you look it up, there are so many. The original one that got attention looks weird as well. The ones from college too. Not that he’s really losing the arms race. He clearly built them up.

somebody made this goofy tweet with it

https://twitter.com/ButtCrackSports/status/1631790315240562688

Mask the Embiid
03-15-2023, 10:41 PM
We call em T-Rex arms where I’m from. Jimmy butler, Ben Simmons, and Blake griffin are also almost t-Rex armed

Anthony Davis body is also built weird. Idk what to call it but that’s why he always gets hurt. He needs to lose weight and go back to being a twig….him and Daniel gafford

Reggie43
03-15-2023, 10:58 PM
Would the guys mentioned be a tier better if they had normal wingspan? Would Kevin Willis be getting mvp votes in his prime lol

L.Kizzle
03-16-2023, 12:07 AM
Would the guys mentioned be a tier better if they had normal wingspan? Would Kevin Willis be getting mvp votes in his prime lol

Kevin Willis peaked at 18/16.
Only Rodman had a higher reb avg in the 80s and 90s.

Im Still Ballin
03-16-2023, 02:15 AM
And isn’t it crazy that the tallest person in NBA history also has the largest positive wingspan? Manute Bol was 7 foot seven with an 8 foot six wingspan. It’s the biggest difference ever in the nba. Dude was like a joke created player on 2K. I can’t imagine trying to get off shots around him as a normal human. No wonder he blocked 31 shots in a college game. Almost had a triple triple double. Had I think 32/31/29.

The biggest difference - for basketball in general - belongs to Beejay Anya, who played for NC State. 6'8" barefoot with a 7'9" wingspan. Has a 9'3" standing reach.

BeeJay Anya (#42 Scout, #29 Rivals, #36 ESPN) was one of the most impressive prospects in attendance from a physical tools perspective, primarily by virtue of his enormous 7'9 wingspan, which is the longest wingspan measured in the history of the DraftExpress database. This measurement was confirmed to us by USA Basketball coach Don Showalter, who admits he was astonished upon learning of it and asked for his wingspan to be measured again for confirmation last summer.

- Source: https://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Beejay-Anya-7098/ ©DraftExpress

High school basketball player’s stunning wingspan

By Cameron Smith

There are plenty of players who have turned heads at the ongoing USA 16-and-under developmental camp, yet none have done so for a more unique reason than BeeJay Anya, one of the top junior prospects (Class of 2013) in the country. Anya's full wingspan was officially measured and published for the first time, providing the most astounding stat of the event: Anya's arms stretch 7-feet, 9-inches across.

DeMatha center BeeJay Anya

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTwLITe7YvrlzZ6HO7yq6nINoxJkMaMa 8k_nw&usqp=CAU

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BxiPYlsCQAAiJDs.jpg:large

Considering the fact that Anya, currently ranked as the No. 16 player in the Class of 2013, stands only 6-foot-8, that wingspan is an extreme anomaly. In fact, it's so wide that it may be longer than any NBA draft prospect … ever.

You read that right: A 16-year-old basketball prospect already has a longer wingspan than any top prospect in NBA draft history. Longer than Shaquille O'Neal, longer than Alonzo Mourning, Kevin Durant, DaSagna Diop and even Michael Olowokandi, who comes in at No. 3 in NBA Draft Express' sortable database of wingspans.

In fact, according to that aforementioned database, only two players have ever been within an inch of Anya's prodigious spread: 2008 prospect John Riek, measuring at 7-feet-8.75 and 2006 draftee Saer Sene, who is listed at 7-feet-8.5.

Naturally, a broad wingspan isn't the only attribute that has gained national acclaim for Anya. The versatile center -- who plays for DeMatha (Md.) Prep and D.C.-area AAU power Team Takeover -- also has a reach of 9-foot-3, according to Rivals.com basketball analyst Jerry Meyer, and was a heartbreaking final-session cut from the official U.S. 16-U roster, a casualty of the team selecting just one center on the final roster.

For the NBA, there are a few names that come to mind.

Stan Okoye is 6'3" barefoot with a 7'2" wingspan.

Dallas Lauderdale is 6'7.5" with a 7'6.5" wingspan.

Talen Horton-Tucker is 6'2.5" barefoot with a 7'1.25" wingspan.

Bruno Caboclo is 6'9" and has a 7'7.75" wingspan. I'm not sure if that height measurement is in shoes or barefoot.

Kevin McHale, at 6'10" barefoot, was estimated to have an 8'0" wingspan. Wilt, who had a 7'8" wingspan, said Nate Thurmond had longer arms than him. I wouldn't be surprised if he was around 7'10" to 8'0". Both he and McHale looked inhumanely long.

Phil Jackson may have had the freakiest wingspan but there's no measurement. He's 6'8" barefoot with a reported sleeve length of 43". Other reports had it listed at 40".

“The 6’8″ Jackson’s wingspan was so prodigious that Bill Fitch (Jackson’s coach at the University of North Dakota) would often have him show off to NBA scouts with something called “The Car Trick,” in which Jackson would sit in middle of the back seat of a 1950s Buick and open both doors simultaneously.”

-Phil Jackson’s official Bio

Among the pro scouts who had found their way to North Dakota was a chubby young Baltimore Bullets representative, Jerry Krause, who was the latest in a long line of people entertained by Jackson’s car tricks.

“I had quite a wingspan,” Jackson recalled with a chuckle. “Phil could do something no one else in the country could do,” Krause would recall years later. “I was scouting Phil for the Baltimore Bullets, and I saw him get in an old four-door Plymouth, sit in the middle of the back seat, and then open both front doors at the same time.”

For UND sports information director Lee Bohnet, it was Jackson’s ability to tune the radio from the back seat that did the trick. “We were going somewhere in town,” Bohnet recalled. “He reached over the front seat and dialed the radio without bending.

Jim Simle, Jackson’s baseball coach, recalled hauling him somewhere in a car, when they pulled into a lane beside someone Jackson knew.

He used his long arms to reach out and unscrew the gas cap from the other car. Then as Simle drove away, Jackson grinned and deposited the cap on the front hood of the other car.

“He didn’t even have to stretch to unscrew it,” Simle recalled with a laugh.

And Phil possessed those arms that would sprout to a 43-inch sleeve, which were connected to a most unusual frame.

“He had this set of shoulders that never ended,” said Chuck Johnson, a Williston native who went on to become a sportswriter and author. “They looked like a folding table with extra leaves in it.”

From the seventh grade on, Jackson discovered that his size and strange physique worked in football, basketball, and baseball.

“He used to destroy us in practice with his elbows,” former teammate David “Butch” Lince told an interviewer.

“John Burckhard [another teammate] and I had more knobs on our heads from him. He was a gangly sophomore and uncoordinated. He had a 43-inch sleeve. How many guys do you know with a 43-inch sleeve?”

As he had in Williston, Jackson continued to amaze friends and teammates with his long-armed tricks in cars. Peter Porinsh remembered Jackson sitting in the middle of the front seat of a sedan and reaching through the rear windows to play with the door handle.

“He could reach around when my alarm went off and tap me on the shoulder, and I had to get out of bed to do the same thing to him,” Jackson’s former roommate, Paul Pederson, recalled. “I think his arms were as long as our 7-footers were.”

Some notable measurements from other sports include:

- Cornelius Godfrey (5'10" tall, 6'10.5" wingspan)
- Sonny Liston (6'0.5" tall, 7'0" wingspan)
- Malliciah Goodman (6' 3⅝", 7'3.5" wingspan)

Im Still Ballin
03-16-2023, 02:40 AM

Kevin Willis peaked at 18/16.
Only Rodman had a higher reb avg in the 80s and 90s.

That's an argument I've always made. Give Kevin Willis a 7'5" wingspan and he's probably an MVP. All-time great.

Reggie43
03-16-2023, 06:02 AM
That's an argument I've always made. Give Kevin Willis a 7'5" wingspan and he's probably an MVP. All-time great.

Yeah wouldnt be surprised if it helps him that much.

L.Kizzle
03-16-2023, 10:19 AM
I'm not sure, small arms didn't stop him from grabbing 10+ boards for multiple seasons. I don't see how that helps him on the offensive end. Did he get blocked alot? I only remember him in Houston in the late 90s and of course the Spurs. But Houston was closer to his peak and he was starting over Barkley as well.

FKAri
03-16-2023, 10:44 AM
I'm not sure, small arms didn't stop him from grabbing 10+ boards for multiple seasons. I don't see how that helps him on the offensive end. Did he get blocked alot? I only remember him in Houston in the late 90s and of course the Spurs. But Houston was closer to his peak and he was starting over Barkley as well.

Regardless, he'd become a much better defensive player.

Xiao Yao You
03-16-2023, 02:00 PM

He got off his jump hook just fine when he saw the ball which wasn't much playing with Wilkens.

Reggie43
03-17-2023, 01:16 AM
Domas is not on the negative but he clearly struggles to finish in the post against lengthier bigs because of below average wingspan not to mention the obvious disadvantage in protecting the rim.

Give guys like that decent sized wingspan and he probably becomes a top 5-10 player in the league or even Mvp level.

ralph_i_el
03-17-2023, 09:40 AM
Blake Griffin didn't have a negative wingspan, just one that was barely positive. I still think that this contributed to his dunks looking so spectacular.

WhiteKyrie
03-17-2023, 10:59 AM
What’s a negative wingspan?

Kblaze8855
03-17-2023, 10:59 AM
What’s a negative wingspan?

Wingspan less than height.

WhiteKyrie
03-17-2023, 01:59 PM
Wingspan less than height.

Oh never heard this term. Gotcha, thanks

plowking
03-17-2023, 06:16 PM
Blake Griffin didn't have a negative wingspan, just one that was barely positive. I still think that this contributed to his dunks looking so spectacular.

I dunno about that. I always remember thinking why I couldn't dunk as easy as Dwyane Wade when we were nearly the same height and both apparently recorded a 35inch vertical. Then I found out the dude had 8 inches of wingspan on me - and it made sense.

Jasper
03-17-2023, 07:46 PM
might as well chat it up about spudd Webb, Calvin Murphy , Muggsy Boggs... and ever short guy with short arms.