PDA

View Full Version : What is the highest justifiable all-time ranking for Westbrook?

dankok8
02-28-2023, 06:49 PM
Like what is the highest he can reasonably be ranked in your opinion?

j3lademaster
02-28-2023, 06:51 PM
Maybe top 30?

SouBeachTalents
02-28-2023, 06:54 PM
He's seen as such a joke now he'll be underrated in these types of discussions until after he's retired. But based on his production and resume

MVP
9x All-NBA
2x scoring champ
3x assist leader
Good career averages albeit on bad efficiency

To me, that's at minimum a top 50 resume.

AlternativeAcc.
02-28-2023, 06:58 PM
Idk, if you can't win as a 1st or 2nd option, and you're known primarily for being a dumbass in the clutch and a brick master, and not a particularly good defender or shooter .... I don't want you on my team

Guy has some good moments though and statistically had some elite years.

He's probably in the 60s just based off accolades and stats. No higher due to the negatives.

bizil
02-28-2023, 07:12 PM
Well u gotta have him among the top 10 players to never win a chip. I think anywhere from top 45-55 is justified. I also think u gotta have him in the top 10 GOAT PG's ever too. When he was at the top of his game, his STRONG POINTS superceded his weak points. I just think his brand of floor generalship wasn't as tight/razor sharp as a Magic, Stock, Zeke, Oscar, Kidd, Nash, etc.

BUT he still was dropping dimes at such a great rate that u gotta respect it. He just was NEVER TRULY GREAT at passing guys open. Or having the pulse of a team and knowing how to keep all his guys involved in the game. GIVEN THE TOOLS his guys has to score the rock.

Guys have had great scoring seasons playing alongside him for sure. PG 13 had arguably his best season ever playing alongside Russ. KD was MVP alongside Russ. I just think Russ KNEW TO GET THEM THE ROCK! BUT at the same time, other great PG's would get them even EASIER SHOTS! But for a player who came into the league as an SG, I think he did a HELL OF A JOB moving to the PG spot! IF KD doesn't leave OKC, they would have won rings for sure. And Russ would have been knocking on top 5 GOAT PG status.

L.Kizzle
02-28-2023, 07:15 PM
Top 40 easily. Can be as high as early 30s as well. Guys like George Gervin are around there and won probably less than Westbrook.

1987_Lakers
02-28-2023, 07:25 PM
Top 40 seems about right for highest rank.

1987_Lakers
02-28-2023, 07:26 PM
Top 40 easily. Can be as high as early 30s as well. Guys like George Gervin are around there and won probably less than Westbrook.

Pretty sure Gervin led his team further into the playoffs when both were #1 options. But Westbrook's time as the top dog on his team was short lived.

ShawkFactory
02-28-2023, 07:30 PM
Idk, if you can't win as a 1st or 2nd option, and you're known primarily for being a dumbass in the clutch and a brick master, and not a particularly good defender or shooter .... I don't want you on my team

He's probably in the 60s just based off accolades and stats. No higher due to the negatives.

Perfect analysis tbh

When he was younger he was a nightmare to see just because of his nonstop energy. But he would almost always make the wrong decision at the wrong time.

Wally450
02-28-2023, 07:31 PM
50-60 range.

L.Kizzle
02-28-2023, 07:48 PM
Pretty sure Gervin led his team further into the playoffs when both were #1 options. But Westbrook's time as the top dog on his team was short lived.
Spurs went to the East Finals one season under Gervin. Westbrook has MVP award. Gervin has 4 scoring titles, and I think Westbrook has 2 or 3 with 2 assist titles.
Depends on how you look at it

L.Kizzle
02-28-2023, 08:06 PM
Westbrook had a 22-12-12 season and didn't make the All-Star team.
He will go down as the most DISRESPECTED superstar ever.

Xiao Yao You
02-28-2023, 08:12 PM
Spurs went to the East Finals one season under Gervin. Westbrook has MVP award. Gervin has 4 scoring titles, and I think Westbrook has 2 or 3 with 2 assist titles.
Depends on how you look at it

The Spurs owned the Midwest conference when I started following. Pretty sure he didn't play with anyone as good as Durant, Harden or even George or Beal. Westbrook is someone I wouldn't want on my team accept maybe as a 6th man. Gervin is someone I'd at least want to tune in and watch. One of the great scorers

Jasper
02-28-2023, 08:13 PM
Maybe top 30?

I have him at around 35

Full Court
02-28-2023, 08:33 PM
25-35. If it wasn't for Bronie boys using him as a scapegoat, he wouldn't be so underrated right now.

SaltyMeatballs
02-28-2023, 08:36 PM
30-40

L.Kizzle
02-28-2023, 08:42 PM
The Spurs owned the Midwest conference when I started following. Pretty sure he didn't play with anyone as good as Durant, Harden or even George or Beal. Westbrook is someone I wouldn't want on my team accept maybe as a 6th man. Gervin is someone I'd at least want to tune in and watch. One of the great scorers
You're right, Spurs made 3. He also played with HoF Artist Gilmore.

kawhileonard2
02-28-2023, 10:23 PM
He's seen as such a joke now he'll be underrated in these types of discussions until after he's retired. But based on his production and resume

MVP
9x All-NBA
2x scoring champ
3x assist leader
Good career averages albeit on bad efficiency

To me, that's at minimum a top 50 resume.

Top 11 all time once you add all time leader in triple doubles.

kuniva_dAMiGhTy
02-28-2023, 10:24 PM
30-40ish

Can't see Westbrook in that 20 range with guys who had more impact

HoopsNY
02-28-2023, 11:49 PM

Pretty good analysis tbh.

RRR3
03-01-2023, 12:02 AM
People saying you can't win with Russ as second option ignoring the fact that Durant came relatively close to doing that twice. Russ is a frustrating player because he could have been so much better than he was (and he was a great player in his prime already), but the revisionist history about him is weird. I think top 40 or so is probably the highest you can rank him like others said, he doesn't have the longest prime (11-17 or 18 and then he fell off)

John8204
03-01-2023, 12:04 AM
Really...outside the top fifty....personally I have him fringe top seventy-five. The highest I can rank him for his position is 13th. I can't justify ranking him ahead of Tiny Archibald, Steve Nash, and Bob Cousy

L.Kizzle
03-01-2023, 12:16 AM
Really...outside the top fifty....personally I have him fringe top seventy-five. The highest I can rank him for his position is 13th. I can't justify ranking him ahead of Tiny Archibald, Steve Nash, and Bob Cousy

Tiny has no case over him.

imdaman99
03-01-2023, 12:30 AM
I have him 93rd all time. Off the top of my head, I could name 92 better players.

Nb1
03-01-2023, 06:52 AM
Poor Clippers had a championship contending team and are now 0-3 with him and wont win anything unless they bench him.

I honestly never really watched many games of him, but everyone raved about him. Till he came to the Lakers and holy sh**. I’ve never seen anything like it. Every time he touches the ball he’s trying his hardest to lose it. Everytime we gained some momentum he single handily killed it. Every important decision, he takes the wrong one. I think he’s partially blind too,bc i’ve never seen anyone who shoots and doesnt even manage to touch the backboard from 2ft away MULTIPLE times. Even a random person couldnt. And his TO are just… Skip made a blooper of all of them after every game, i mean, how tf do you repeat the same stupidity 10000 times in a row?

That being said, he seems to be a good person, i feel bad for him and we didnt treat him right because the wholoe roster was garbage. I hope he somehow makes it at the Clippers, but i wont ever want him on my team ever again.. Rather have a random person from the public, she cant screw us over as much as he did game after game.

SATAN
03-01-2023, 07:32 AM
I have a Russ OKC jersey and have seriously considered just cutting it up and using the sections to clean the windows here or something.

Not even joking.

Carbine
03-01-2023, 07:44 AM
He's the best player that I would never want on my team if I'm trying to win a title.

I'd rather have a significant amount of players instead of him that would not sniff his individual accolades.

John8204
03-01-2023, 07:58 AM
Tiny has no case over him.

Best PG of his era who led the league in scoring/assists who when playing with a great actually won a title.

ImKobe
03-01-2023, 10:17 AM
Around 40. MVP, 2x scoring titles, 3x assist titles, 9x All-NBA warrants that high of a ranking.

Prime Russ was an MVP-level player and he played at a very high level from 2011-21. His '17 season is one of the best ever by a PG, probably top 5 all-time next to prime Steph/Magic/Oscar seasons.

L.Kizzle
03-01-2023, 10:21 AM
Best PG of his era who led the league in scoring/assists who when playing with a great actually won a title.
Tiny led his team (pre Boston) to the playoffs once. I like Tiny, but Russell blows him out the water with individual accolades.

HoopologyPhD
03-01-2023, 10:24 AM
Probably top 20 as SG but not much higher.

Phoenix
03-01-2023, 10:48 AM
In terms of where the publications land him on one of those top 100 lists? He'll probably end up in the 50's. His prime/peak likely warrants higher but the Laker years and how he closes out his career will probably be held against him.

StrongLurk
03-01-2023, 12:49 PM
Top 40-50