PDA

View Full Version : Dlo and Gobert had issues.

Kblaze8855
02-10-2023, 03:09 PM
"The team has had issues incorporating Rudy Gobert, figuring out how to play with him, things like that. D-Lo wore those issues on his sleeve. He was very frustrated, often, with Rudy, with him not being able to catch some passes, with him missing layups and bunnies near the rim, with his offensive struggles this season for the Timberwolves. That frustration was palpable within the Timberwolves locker room. I'm sure there's other players who had some frustrations as well, but I think were able to say, 'hey, look, Rudy Gobert is a $40 million player, we just gotta figure out a way to make this happen.'

"D-Lo tried to make it work, but it was uncomfortable at times. We would come into the locker room and you could hear him actively bemaoning the situation. I've talked to coaches and players from other teams who heard him getting down on Rudy during games. There was this perception that D'Angelo Russell was very frustrated with Gobert and didn't seem as open to working with him or trying to find a happy medium as maybe some of the other players were trying to do, to make what has so far been a disappointing trade, try to make it work somehow."

AlternativeAcc.
02-10-2023, 03:11 PM
:roll:

Gobert is cancer. Not only is he an atrocious ball player, but a bad teammate who nobody gets along with.

Convinced it's the worst trade ever.

BigShotBob
02-10-2023, 03:14 PM
His butterfingers is frustrating to watch. Ayton had that same issue and CP3 straightened him out. Claxton came into the league with better hands than Gobert

Kblaze8855
02-10-2023, 03:15 PM
Guards are often frustrated with the not terribly skilled big man who is in the game all the time for defense. But some of them are too big personality wise to go at like that. I bet Billips kept his mouth shut about Ben Wallace.

Rudy doesn’t seem to have that level of respect.

BigShotBob
02-10-2023, 03:20 PM
Guards are often frustrated with the not terribly skilled big man who is in the game all the time for defense. But some of them are too big personality wise to go at like that. I bet Billips kept his mouth shut about Ben Wallace.

Rudy doesn’t seem to have that level of respect.

Big Ben could catch lobs and passes at least. Gobert fumbles too many catches and he's awkward when he tries to post up. He's big so every guard wants to use him as a scoring threat but they can't. It could make a PG not want to pass to you. That's why they brought in Mike Conley.

Kblaze8855
02-10-2023, 03:22 PM
He can catch usually it’s just ugly when he doesn’t. I think he has the most dunks in a season since it was first recorded and I think that covers some prime Shaq years. And he damn sure isn’t creating the shots. He must be catching them.

BigShotBob
02-10-2023, 03:28 PM
He can catch usually it’s just ugly when he doesn’t. I think he has the most dunks in a season since it was first recorded and I think that covers some prime Shaq years. And he damn sure isn’t creating the shots. He must be catching them.

He has the most dunks because that's all he can really do. Shaq had far more finesse in his game. If Rudy has 12 points on all dunks that's 6 dunks per game basically. He's not hopeless catching the ball but if Dlo's complaints confirm what I see from him usually and what Donovan Mitchell may have alluded to iirc

Combine that with his unwillingness to guard shooting bigs and you have an awkwardly huge puzzle piece

I hadn't seen a blatant disregard for a center to close out on a shooter since Hakeem refused to close out on Sam Perkins in the playoffs (and they ended up losing that series)

Proctor
02-10-2023, 03:29 PM
Shocker. Overpaid, overrated, offensively inept

GimmeThat
02-10-2023, 03:34 PM
when you have a big who isn't active on the offensive end, it just means the guard needs to draw and create extra contact, which is even more wear and tear, and those wear and tear ain't solving world hunger

Kblaze8855
02-10-2023, 03:34 PM
Of course that’s all he can do. I’m just saying we know he isn’t getting the dunks off many individual moves so he must be catching the ball and finishing an awful lot. Granted, some of that is because he has more chances than most. I read a few years ago that he had to set over 500 more screens than the next leader in the league.

So he has dunks on an inordinate number of runs to the rim. Catch percentage wise may not be elite but volume wise….he’s gotta be catching something.

GimmeThat
02-10-2023, 03:37 PM
Combine that with his unwillingness to guard shooting bigs and you have an awkwardly huge puzzle piece

Boban realizes not all tall people have to play basketball, or particularly at the NBA level. Gobert does not.

Xiao Yao You
02-10-2023, 04:23 PM
when you have a big who isn't active on the offensive end, it just means the guard needs to draw and create extra contact, which is even more wear and tear, and those wear and tear ain't solving world hunger

there's probably no big big more active than him on the offensive end. There's a lot more to the game than spotting up for 3. He makes it easy on his teammates. He will have a dunk or someone will have an open 3 or layup thanks to him being so actively involved in the offense. If they miss it's him active on the offensive glass. Conley should be just the piece to put it all together offensively. He's the best Gobert has played with sadly. The Wolves problems are on defense and they've been starting to figure that out assuming Gobert can get healed up during the break.

Xiao Yao You
02-10-2023, 04:27 PM
He has the most dunks because that's all he can really do. Shaq had far more finesse in his game. If Rudy has 12 points on all dunks that's 6 dunks per game basically. He's not hopeless catching the ball but if Dlo's complaints confirm what I see from him usually and what Donovan Mitchell may have alluded to iirc

I hadn't seen a blatant disregard for a center to close out on a shooter since Hakeem refused to close out on Sam Perkins in the playoffs (and they ended up losing that series)

He's not unwilling to guard shooting bigs. Teams have game plans. The game plan generally was for him to give up open 3's instead of leaving the paint a lay up line which is what happens when he leaves the paint. With Towns there was a least some hope of some rim protection if he did leave the paint unlike when he had no other big to cover for him.

He has the most dunks because he can get up higher than almost anyone and it's almost unstoppable

meat
02-10-2023, 05:05 PM
I knew you'd see the bat signal!:roll: Yea, Gobert is almost unstoppable! LMAO

Xiao Yao You
02-10-2023, 05:19 PM
I knew you'd see the bat signal!:roll: Yea, Gobert is almost unstoppable! LMAO

first all time in TS% and dunks in a season, 2nd career EFG%, 2 pt FG% and FG% so yes a lob to Gobert is about as unstoppable as it gets in NBA history and Minnesota will finally have someone that can throw a lob to him. Going into the season that was supposed to be Russell.

Celtics 1825
02-10-2023, 06:08 PM
Toodie is a cancer

Xiao Yao You
02-10-2023, 06:13 PM
Toodie is a cancer

Russell has certainly had that rep since he was a rookie. Gobert's teams just win games

https://www.sbnation.com/2016/3/30/11330390/dangelo-russell-nick-young-tape-iggy-azalea-cheating

Kblaze8855
02-10-2023, 06:18 PM
first all time in TS% and dunks in a season, 2nd career EFG%, 2 pt FG% and FG% so yes a lob to Gobert is about as unstoppable as it gets in NBA history and Minnesota will finally have someone that can throw a lob to him. Going into the season that was supposed to be Russell.

#1 in TS all time with Deandre Jordan second. Deandre takes the crown in EFG though:

https://www.hostpic.org/images/2302110342390108.jpeg

Kareem, Wilt, Shaq, Hakeem, Mchale, Moses, Ewing, Drob, Duncan, Barkley, and Malone only wish they were as unstoppable as those elites. Somehow every single one of the most unstoppable bigmen in history are in or recently left the league. I don’t know why people say centers are dead. We have the most unstoppable group in history.

FireDavidKahn
02-10-2023, 08:12 PM
One thing I haven't seen brought up is that any potential max extension that DLo was angling for was nixed when we traded for Rudy and he knew it. Connelly wasn't going to give it to him anyway but that was more then likely the actual cause for issues.

Xiao Yao You
02-10-2023, 08:14 PM
One thing I haven't seen brought up is that any potential max extension that DLo was angling for was nixed when we traded for Rudy and he knew it. Connelly wasn't going to give it to him anyway but that was more then likely the actual cause for issues.

Money. Makes sense. They got better on the floor and in the locker room with Conley

meat
02-10-2023, 08:15 PM
KBlaze you just listed the greatest players in NBA history. Glad Mason Plumlee is is gettin the love he deserves.

Xiao Yao You
02-10-2023, 08:16 PM
KBlaze you just listed the greatest players in NBA history. Glad Mason Plumlee is is gettin the love he deserves.

nice pick up for the Clippers anyway

ArbitraryWater
02-10-2023, 08:20 PM
"The team has had issues incorporating Rudy Gobert, figuring out how to play with him, things like that. D-Lo wore those issues on his sleeve. He was very frustrated, often, with Rudy, with him not being able to catch some passes, with him missing layups and bunnies near the rim, with his offensive struggles this season for the Timberwolves. That frustration was palpable within the Timberwolves locker room. I'm sure there's other players who had some frustrations as well, but I think were able to say, 'hey, look, Rudy Gobert is a $40 million player, we just gotta figure out a way to make this happen.'

"D-Lo tried to make it work, but it was uncomfortable at times. We would come into the locker room and you could hear him actively bemaoning the situation. I've talked to coaches and players from other teams who heard him getting down on Rudy during games. There was this perception that D'Angelo Russell was very frustrated with Gobert and didn't seem as open to working with him or trying to find a happy medium as maybe some of the other players were trying to do, to make what has so far been a disappointing trade, try to make it work somehow."

:roll::roll:

any star perimeter payer that is actuay happy with Gobert?

Xiao Yao You
02-10-2023, 08:22 PM
:roll::roll:

any star perimeter payer that is actuay happy with Gobert?

Russell is a star? Conley actually made the all star team and him and Gobert are great together

aj1987
02-10-2023, 08:29 PM
Russell is a star? Conley actually made the all star team and him and Gobert are great together

You do know that D'lo made the ASG, right?

Give it up, you retard. Gobert is a roleplayer. Dude is trash on the offensive end and it's not even remotely close.

Heck, he's a MLE player making max. :roll:

ArbitraryWater
02-10-2023, 08:30 PM

Xiao Yao You
02-10-2023, 08:35 PM

Give it up, you retard. Gobert is a roleplayer. Dude is trash on the offensive end and it's not even remotely close.

would have never guessed he was an all star :lol

certainly no one worth talking about with the DPOTY/all NBA/future HOFer

aj1987
02-10-2023, 08:50 PM
would have never guessed he was an all star :lol

certainly no one worth talking about with the DPOTY/all NBA/future HOFer
You actually think the French ****** is making the HOF? :roll: :roll:

The guy has the worst contract in the history of sports. Worse than Parsons'. :cheers:

iamgine
02-11-2023, 03:27 AM
Big Ben could catch lobs and passes at least. Gobert fumbles too many catches and he's awkward when he tries to post up. He's big so every guard wants to use him as a scoring threat but they can't. It could make a PG not want to pass to you. That's why they brought in Mike Conley.

Wth is this. No way he catches lobs and passes better than Gobert. Big Ben was one of the worst starting offensive big ever. We talking worst than Kwame here.

NBAGOAT
02-11-2023, 03:40 AM
there's probably no big big more active than him on the offensive end. There's a lot more to the game than spotting up for 3. He makes it easy on his teammates. He will have a dunk or someone will have an open 3 or layup thanks to him being so actively involved in the offense. If they miss it's him active on the offensive glass. Conley should be just the piece to put it all together offensively. He's the best Gobert has played with sadly. The Wolves problems are on defense and they've been starting to figure that out assuming Gobert can get healed up during the break.

the wolves are better on defense than offense

ImKobe
02-11-2023, 04:55 AM

That's something you and I both agree on. Toody is not a max player in today's NBA. He's an elite role player but his cap hit makes it impossible for any team to build a contender unless they have a bunch of guys on rookie deals or unless they're set up like GS where they can go way over the cap and pay massive repeater tax like they currently are doing with Draymond. Wolves made a grave mistake trading for him and now they're stuck and are forced to trade KAT for more perimeter guys so they can actually win with the guy..

Wolves went from a top 10 offense to being below-average because of him. Toody supporters will blame D'lo but at least Russell was a net-positive on offense while Toody's been a huge negative on that end, and teams can go small vs. Wolves and take away most of Rudy's impact on the defensive side. I just can't believe the Wolves were dumb enough to make that trade and ruin their trajectory moving forward. They'll end up being Jazz 2.0 with Ant playing the Mitchell role :facepalm .

Xiao Yao You
02-11-2023, 08:59 AM
That's something you and I both agree on. Toody is not a max player in today's NBA. He's an elite role player but his cap hit makes it impossible for any team to build a contender unless they have a bunch of guys on rookie deals or unless they're set up like GS where they can go way over the cap and pay massive repeater tax like they currently are doing with Draymond. Wolves made a grave mistake trading for him and now they're stuck and are forced to trade KAT for more perimeter guys so they can actually win with the guy..

Wolves went from a top 10 offense to being below-average because of him. Toody supporters will blame D'lo but at least Russell was a net-positive on offense while Toody's been a huge negative on that end, and teams can go small vs. Wolves and take away most of Rudy's impact on the defensive side. I just can't believe the Wolves were dumb enough to make that trade and ruin their trajectory moving forward. They'll end up being Jazz 2.0 with Ant playing the Mitchell role :facepalm .

Gobert was part of the best offense in basketball last year. It's a team sport. If it wasn't working your pg might have something to do with it? Jazz have had a top 5 offense this year as well. The common player here is Conley. They have their pg now. Ant is open to learning unlike Mitchell. He could never play the two way game and be his Stockton. Conley had to play that role when Mitchell and Clarkson weren't playing 1 on 5.

GimmeThat
02-11-2023, 09:46 AM
even with Conley coming in, the Wolves will still need to play Reid and Garza because Gobert can't pass from the high post, and it'd be far more useful to use Conley as a PG who guides the traffic without the ball

Xiao Yao You
02-11-2023, 11:24 AM
even with Conley coming in, the Wolves will still need to play Reid and Garza because Gobert can't pass from the high post, and it'd be far more useful to use Conley as a PG who guides the traffic without the ball

Conley should have the ball a lot. Obviously with Edwards and Towns that won't happen but he's great off the ball as well. I imagine they will stagger him and Edwards. Gobert can pass out of the roll to the corners. Conley will make the right play usually in pick and roll. Edwards will hopefully be soaking it up. Great opportunity for him. Conley helped Mitchell and Sexton become better. Wolves have too much talent not to make it work. They've been playing better. Gobert in and out of the lineup along with their other injuries has made it tough. They just got a lot better with this trade. Ainge's cold heart is softening I guess. Didn't want their lottery pick

GimmeThat
02-11-2023, 11:57 AM
the Wolves doesn't even run a pick and roll offense thank to their size, they just use screens, even double screens very well. which again, makes Gobert completely useless on the offensive end if he's going to set all the screens in the world and put up 7.4 FGA per 30 min. they need someone who'll set them, AND look for the opportunity to score instead of hovering around the paint like a sheep looking for rebound

Xiao Yao You
02-11-2023, 12:21 PM
the Wolves doesn't even run a pick and roll offense thank to their size, they just use screens, even double screens very well. which again, makes Gobert completely useless on the offensive end if he's going to set all the screens in the world and put up 7.4 FGA per 30 min. they need someone who'll set them, AND look for the opportunity to score instead of hovering around the paint like a sheep looking for rebound

They need rebounds and defense. That's why they got him. Up to the coaching staff to put them in situations to thrive.

Manny98
02-11-2023, 12:28 PM
Gobert was part of the best offense in basketball last year. It's a team sport. If it wasn't working your pg might have something to do with it? Jazz have had a top 5 offense this year as well. The common player here is Conley. They have their pg now. Ant is open to learning unlike Mitchell. He could never play the two way game and be his Stockton. Conley had to play that role when Mitchell and Clarkson weren't playing 1 on 5.

They were the best offense in spite of Gobert not because of

GimmeThat
02-11-2023, 12:49 PM
They need rebounds and defense. That's why they got him. Up to the coaching staff to put them in situations to thrive.

and the Wolves are learning that you need the other 4 players to cater to Gobert on defense in order for him to be useful, which means they'll stop the dribble penetration, but not the 3's. they thought if you played another big next to him, he'd learn to adjust his role and be more efficient and score more since he's no longer the sole rebounder. nope, he doesn't have the concept of basketball nor team and tells his teammates that's all I can do and ever will do no matter how much help is surrounded by me.

Xiao Yao You
02-11-2023, 01:03 PM
They were the best offense in spite of Gobert not because of

yeah I know. Pretty amazing with a guy playing 30 minutes a night :facepalm

Xiao Yao You
02-11-2023, 01:06 PM
and the Wolves are learning that you need the other 4 players to cater to Gobert on defense in order for him to be useful, which means they'll stop the dribble penetration, but not the 3's. they thought if you played another big next to him, he'd learn to adjust his role and be more efficient and score more since he's no longer the sole rebounder. nope, he doesn't have the concept of basketball nor team and tells his teammates that's all I can do and ever will do no matter how much help is surrounded by me.

the ultimate team guy. Does the things no one else wants to do. They had the best D recently. Biggest problem ism him being in and out of the lineups. Not sure why they didn't just sit him until he was 100%. This never happened in Utah

Kblaze8855
02-11-2023, 02:17 PM
yeah I know. Pretty amazing with a guy playing 30 minutes a night :facepalm

You don’t seem to see that as a hindrance to thinking Clarkson is terrible despite big minutes on a top offense last year and this one. I think he plays more for the jazz now than Rudy did last year.

ArbitraryWater
02-11-2023, 02:20 PM
You don’t seem to see that as a hindrance to thinking Clarkson is terrible despite big minutes on a top offense last year and this one. I think he plays more for the jazz now than Rudy did last year.

got em

Xiao Yao You
02-11-2023, 02:41 PM

sure was nice to watch them put up 120 last night without the usual bricks and prayers. Be even better if they had their generational defender and rebounder still

Kblaze8855
02-11-2023, 03:25 PM
He’s played the most games on the team and they score 118 points a game. Pretty amazing they maintain that scoring and elite efficiency when he plays more than Rudy did. Being on the floor while a great offense operates makes one immune from criticism of his part in that offense…..doesn’t it?

GimmeThat
02-11-2023, 03:32 PM
the ultimate team guy. Does the things no one else wants to do.

when the cockroach contradicts itself ladies and gentleman

GimmeThat
02-11-2023, 03:40 PM
sure was nice to watch them put up 120 last night without the usual bricks and prayers. Be even better if they had their generational defender and rebounder still

there was a time when everyone said, the world will just be better off without Gobert, then the Wolves stepped in, and now the Wolves can't even make an argument against it.

that's just really good coaching and GMing if you ask the world.

Xiao Yao You
02-12-2023, 06:51 PM
Christopher Hine: Mike Conley on Jaden McDaniels. “He’s special. … They ask a lot of him. Me coming in, I want to be able to spell him. (https://*********.com/social/) He doesn’t have to guard the point guard the whole game or whatever it is he feels he needs to do, and give him even more bounce, more energy.”

– via Twitter ChristopherHine (https://twitter.com/ChristopherHine)

sounds like Dlo wasn't playing D either