PDA

View Full Version : Steph on who would win between 01 Lakers and the 17 Warriors.

Kblaze8855
07-19-2022, 09:45 AM
Between the ‘96 Bulls and the hypotheticals of a 7-game series, the 2001 Lakers and that hypothetical series, or every other hypothetical series that people say we should’ve lost because of an injury or because of whatever the case may be, those conversations are trivial. But at the end of the day, if you could match up in some alternate universe, us versus the 2001 Lakers, obviously we feel like we can win. I don’t know who would guard Shaq, but I don’t know who would guard me and Klay either. We rockin’ with that. And three is better than two.

Hes assuming Kobe guards Durant I guess.

FultzNationRISE
07-19-2022, 10:13 AM
Did he explain why he’s 1-6?

1987_Lakers
07-19-2022, 10:17 AM
No team in NBA history beats the 2017 Warriors.

lakers should probably be allowed to add a hall of famer from 2001 to make it more even

warriorfan
07-19-2022, 02:05 PM
King Dingo

Gohan
07-19-2022, 03:02 PM

Lmao they dont even get that far without zaza. Most overrated team in nba history just to overrate the most overrated player in nba history lebron

Kblaze8855
07-19-2022, 03:44 PM
Its hard to overstate just how differently a team like that would have to play under other rule sets. I do think the warriors are the goat team for the kind of basketball their league played but depending on the year in question you’re literally taking or adding points to games.

Even putting aside that before a certain time you’d be taking 15-20 points a game on the same shots due to not counting threes…

Even after they added threes the game was still geared towards playing inside. Guards had dribbling rules modified to help them score easier, had rules changed to allow easier scoring off the ball, fouls from 3 are 3 free throws when they used to be 2(that didn’t change till the 90s)…..

You straight up take points from the old teams with 5 second back to basket violations…straight up give points to new teams with the gather step which was a travel and took scoring move options away.

Its rigged greatly in favor of modern teams when you play with their rules. And teams are built accordingly.

Vs the 83 Sixers with Dray on Moses he would literally give up like 42/32. He’s never dealt with that physical a player with rules to allow him to just brutalize you. Steph and Klay would rain on anyone but the warriors aren’t built to deal with that kinda opponent without the rules to help slow him.

3 is of course more than 2 but an unstoppable 2 vs 40% from 3?

Its really hard to do these matchups because the rules and style of play matter so much.

Sure the Warriors would win vs like…the 79 Sonics. But you have to literally take 20 points away if they make the same shots since they would be 2s. You take more on the travels called. And wouldn’t they be easier to defend without Steph providing the spacing? Steph shooting a 28 footer off the dribble at 37% for 2 points?

**** it. We can score at better rates than that posting up. Why defend him so tight? Why over pursue and close out hard? You play him straight. They would lose their key edge there and have to win off 2 pointing you to death.

Could they?

Sure.

But you’d hardly recognize them if they really altered their game to play that way.

They could hang with anyone off talent but the games wouldn’t look like I think we imagine.

They would run you to death and win off better defensive effort than a lot of old teams played with.

paksat
07-19-2022, 04:28 PM
fisher would have steph so damn mad from his physical defense that steph wouldn't know what to do.

and the main issue is, that team is just not good enough defensively to handle that lakers team. Shaq is going ape shit in that series, and who is gonna even remotely slow down kobe? Do people realize just how hard it is going to be for the warriors to even get a rebound vs that team?

MrFonzworth
07-19-2022, 04:35 PM
fisher would have steph so damn mad from his physical defense that steph wouldn't know what to do.

and the main issue is, that team is just not good enough defensively to handle that lakers team. Shaq is going ape shit in that series, and who is gonna even remotely slow down kobe? Do people realize just how hard it is going to be for the warriors to even get a rebound vs that team?

:roll::roll::roll:

NBAGOAT
07-19-2022, 04:41 PM
Warriors double team any big dray can’t handle. Only shaq can routinely score through four teams imo. People in here underrating the warriors defensive rotations. All of the past great teams have 1-2 guys who don’t shoot very well and the warriors will leave open

HoopsNY
07-19-2022, 04:42 PM

They're beatable.

HoopsNY
07-19-2022, 04:46 PM
This all boils down to which set of rules are we following. Obviously with 2017 rules, the Warriors have the advantage.

FilmyCogTurner
07-19-2022, 04:47 PM

I would love to see 2000 DFish get cooked by prime Curry. Fisher got away with so much bumping without being in legal guarding position.

Kblaze8855
07-19-2022, 04:54 PM
You Take young fish and feed him to prime Steph with 2017 rules he’d give up 30. In the first half as he fouls out with 4 to go in the second.

Some if you need to go read the preseason and early season comments from players and coaches when they changed the freedom of movement rules. Guys literally got 4 fouls in a half playing the same D that was already watered down after the early 2000s.

90s and early 2000s perimeter defense is literally illegal now. We don’t know what Fish looks like when it’s fully hands off. Not that he’d stop Steph with the old rules either….but it’s the difference between a beating and a slaughter.

fsvr54
07-19-2022, 04:56 PM
They're beatable.

Very much so. Tired of modern clown fans

eliteballer
07-20-2022, 12:42 AM
I'd love to see the 2000 Blazers against the Warriors.

Giant team with weapons everywhere, they'd give them huge problems.

Lakers Legend#32
07-20-2022, 01:38 AM
Steph's drunk.

Axe
07-20-2022, 02:45 AM
Lmao they dont even get that far without zaza. Most overrated team in nba history just to overrate the most overrated player in nba history lebron
You're right. They're rigged.

Gohan
07-20-2022, 06:48 AM
You Take young fish and feed him to prime Steph with 2017 rules he’d give up 30. In the first half as he fouls out with 4 to go in the second.

Some if you need to go read the preseason and early season comments from players and coaches when they changed the freedom of movement rules. Guys literally got 4 fouls in a half playing the same D that was already watered down after the early 2000s.

90s and early 2000s perimeter defense is literally illegal now. We don’t know what Fish looks like when it’s fully hands off. Not that he’d stop Steph with the old rules either….but it’s the difference between a beating and a slaughter.

You forgot lue, he would play excellent defense on steph and stephs my fav player

Axe
07-20-2022, 06:54 AM
You forgot lue, he would play excellent defense on steph and stephs my fav player
Lol he sucked at his job. By this i mean the teams he coached in the east had a paltry record without lebron.

paksat
07-20-2022, 10:09 AM
Lol @ playing under current "rules"

Rules are there to stop traveling and carrying, not to encourage it. Today's rules are a sham and are not not basketball.

1987_Lakers
07-20-2022, 10:18 AM
Vs the 83 Sixers with Dray on Moses he would literally give up like 42/32.

This seems like a bit of a reach.

Kblaze8855
07-20-2022, 10:38 AM
As an average yes. In a game? Moses isn’t famous so people don’t really understand how ridiculously physical he was to the point that he made even superior athletes seem totally outmatched. Moses would send Draymond literally flying out of the lane if he could play his game. There is nobody like that for Dray to even have experienced. It would be the ugliest 40/30 you can imagine but there is no keeping Moses off the glass with the lineups teams put out there now.

And he doesn’t attack in a way that draws a traditional double the way a Shaq would. He’s getting it and instantly putting a shoulder through your sternum and tossing up some garbage that shouldn’t go in but does. And if it doesn’t he’s gonna rebound it himself.

Hed be like nothing anyone today ever saw much like Steph would in Moses day. But the rules of each era would work against the outsider. The line being there means Steph can still bend the D or rain on you so he’s got a weapon even in the 80s. Moses first few mvp years in the 70s? I don’t know.

Moses 25/18 on 54% vs Steph shooting long shots for 2 or driving into packed paints in a league that doesn’t allow modern handles? Moses in 78 might be more effective.

83? Closer. Then we just factor in the rule changes…but that can be offset by modern training and tactics to take advantage of the 3 even with tighter rules.

One thing is for sure though…Moses would absolutely feast inside.

Kblaze8855
07-20-2022, 10:55 AM
Lol @ playing under current "rules"

Rules are there to stop traveling and carrying, not to encourage it. Today's rules are a sham and are not not basketball.

What’s funny to me is that the league straight up admitted they did it for the entertainment and making scoring easier but when you say it young people act like you’re just being an old hater.

On the subject of scoring being easier with the freedom of movement emphasis the guy actually in charge of ref training and rule application under the guidance of the board of governors said:

“That is the general consensus (that it’s working),” he said. “Now that doesn’t mean that there isn’t continual work. No one wants to kill the game with inconsequential tactile touches being called as fouls, but we do want this problem area of our game to be cleaned up.

“We’re going to continue to monitor all that, and make sure that we’re calibrated on our end to the proper level of what is desired by our league constituencies and stakeholders. But right now we feel that this has been a positive impact on the game.”

They alter the game to appeal to shareholders. The nba wants it exciting not difficult.

They want big dunks and nasty finishes so they said the first of 3 steps no longer counts so you can just run to the basket and not get a travel. They want 3s and guards to dominate so posting up for 5 seconds is illegal but doing a boring 8 second ISO isn’t…and you better not impede him as he blows by either nor can you slow him down with a tug even while his teammate sets often illegal screens:

Leonard on the initial changes:

. The big thing to me is just chasing shooters off of pin-downs, because usually they could push off and get off a screen and you could hold them and stop that push. That’s the biggest part for me, is just chasing shooters off of pin-downs and things like that. Cross screens, moving around screens.

He mentioned that everyone would foul out every game playing the way he was allowed when he came in. And he came in after defense was already being legislated out.

They created modern basketball with the rule book. Impossible to defend off the ball cutters and screens. Ball handlers have no restrictions. You can just run to the basket with no travel. Posting up too long is illegal.

They gave the league to the offense…specifically the guard driven offense.

Which is why I say it’s hard to predict across eras.

Barkleys offense is now literally illegal. How can I say what the 93 suns would do today when Charles can’t post up as long as he needs to draw a double? How can I say what anyone does with any conviction?

Its hard.

FultzNationRISE
07-20-2022, 10:58 AM
As an average yes. In a game? Moses isn’t famous so people don’t really understand how ridiculously physical he was to the point that he made even superior athletes seem totally outmatched. Moses would send Draymond literally flying out of the lane if he could play his game. There is nobody like that for Dray to even have experienced. It would be the ugliest 40/30 you can imagine but there is no keeping Moses off the glass with the lineups teams put out there now.

And he doesn’t attack in a way that draws a traditional double the way a Shaq would. He’s getting it and instantly putting a shoulder through your sternum and tossing up some garbage that shouldn’t go in but does. And if it doesn’t he’s gonna rebound it himself.

Hed be like nothing anyone today ever saw much like Steph would in Moses day. But the rules of each era would work against the outsider. The line being there means Steph can still bend the D or rain on you so he’s got a weapon even in the 80s. Moses first few mvp years in the 70s? I don’t know.

Moses 25/18 on 54% vs Steph shooting long shots for 2 or driving into packed paints in a league that doesn’t allow modern handles? Moses in 78 might be more effective.

83? Closer. Then we just factor in the rule changes…but that can be offset by modern training and tactics to take advantage of the 3 even with tighter rules.

One thing is for sure though…Moses would absolutely feast inside.

I agree Moses would go nuts on the Warriors, but the frank reality is that LePhysical would ragdoll him with ease.

tontoz
07-20-2022, 11:00 AM
It is hard to find a comp for Moses. He didn't look athletic or skilled but still put up big numbers because nhis motor ran hot all the time. There was no load management in his game.

In MMA sometimes you will hear about a guy who "weaponizes pace", they are relentlessly active all the time. That was Moses.

He was actually similar to Curry in a way. Steph is constantly running around off the ball which wreaks havoc on the defense. Moses was like that on the inside, always moving and would get of rebounds/putbacks just from effort.

Kblaze8855
07-20-2022, 11:10 AM
It is hard to find a comp for Moses. He didn't look athletic or skilled but still put up big numbers because nhis motor ran hot all the time. There was no load management in his game.

In MMA sometimes you will hear about a guy who "weaponizes pace", they are relentlessly active all the time. That was Moses.

He was actually similar to Curry in a way. Steph is constantly running around off the ball which wreaks havoc on the defense. Moses was like that on the inside, always moving and would get of rebounds/putbacks just from effort.

Yea it’s just hard to explain. You watch a game and aside from him making a couple 16 foot jumpers I’m not sure you would even describe anything that happened as being good so much as being relentless.

Even in like Atlanta and DC you’d see him play a Hakeem, Ewing, or whoever and logically you know they are better than he is skills wise AND athleticism wise….but he’s still kicking ass.

It’s like:

”You’re more skilled than him right?

”Yep”

”And more athletic?”

”Oh yea. Way more.”

”But he had 29/23 and he’s been washed for years?”

”…….”

Put Lebron on the floor with Moses and ask him to guard him or keep him off the boards. He’d fold him like a paper plane and send him floating softly into the stands.

FultzNationRISE
07-20-2022, 11:20 AM
Yea it’s just hard to explain. You watch a game and aside from him making a couple 16 foot jumpers I’m not sure you would even describe anything that happened as being good so much as being relentless.

Even in like Atlanta and DC you’d see him play a Hakeem, Ewing, or whoever and logically you know they are better than he is skills wise AND athleticism wise….but he’s still kicking ass.

It’s like:

”You’re more skilled than him right?

”Yep”

”And more athletic?”

”Oh yea. Way more.”

”But he had 29/23 and he’s been washed for years?”

”…….”

Put Lebron on the floor with Moses and ask him to guard him or keep him off the boards. He’d fold him like a paper plane and send him floating softly into the stands.

Excuse me? Youre way out of ****ing order pal.

I suggest you take a moment to recollect yourself.

Before something bad happens.

Kblaze8855
07-20-2022, 11:31 AM
Lebron leaving the arena early after Moses hangs 18/22 by halftime:

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/FarawayScalyIberiannase-size_restricted.gif

1987_Lakers
07-20-2022, 11:32 AM
Moses peaked as the best player in the NBA at one point, but he is a weird player to assess.

He is one of the greatest rebounders in history, got his points by straight up will and determination, but he wasn't the passer or the defensive presence you would want your franchise center to be. I know he led a weak Rockets team to the Finals and helped the Sixers get over the hump in '83, but after that you have to question his overall impact he had on his teams.

'84 Sixers: only won 52 games with the same cast as '83, lost in the 1st round (Prime Moses)

'87 Bullets: Only went from 39 wins in '86 to 42 wins in '87 despite adding Moses, swept in the 1st round. Had a losing record in '88

'89 Hawks: Went from 50 wins in '88 to only 52 wins with Moses, paired with Dominique Wilkins, lost in 1st round

He was past his prime by the late 80's, sure. But still putting up 21/11 on a daily bases around that time. Something tells me his impact wasn't really as good as the numbers suggest.

tontoz
07-20-2022, 11:46 AM
https://hosting.photobucket.com/albums/g195/tontoz/.highres/lebron-james-flop-2011_zps1duibaab.gif

1987_Lakers
07-20-2022, 11:49 AM
I think the fact that his defensive impact was limited compared to other elite centers and that he was a black hole is the reason why he struggled with team success at times. He was pretty much the complete opposite of a peak Bill Walton in terms of playmaking ability, Walton was also on another tier on the defensive end as well, this helped him transform the Blazers to a juggernaut despite not being stacked with talent. Blazers 50-10 with Walton in '78, 8-14 without him, I doubt Moses ever had this type of impact on a team.

FultzNationRISE
07-20-2022, 11:50 AM
Lebron leaving the arena early after Moses hangs 18/22 by halftime:

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/FarawayScalyIberiannase-size_restricted.gif

LeBully manhandles anyone and everyone in his way. He would toss Moses up and down like pizza dough.

People dont understand how PHYSICAL Lebron’s playstyle is. It’s legendary in player circles.

Theres a reason every player is utterly shook by his presence on the court.

Gohan
07-20-2022, 11:50 AM
Moses peaked as the best player in the NBA at one point, but he is a weird player to assess.

He is one of the greatest rebounders in history, got his points by straight up will and determination, but he wasn't the passer or the defensive presence you would want your franchise center to be. I know he led a weak Rockets team to the Finals and helped the Sixers get over the hump in '83, but after that you have to question his overall impact he had on his teams.

'84 Sixers: only won 52 games with the same cast as '83, lost in the 1st round (Prime Moses)

'87 Bullets: Only went from 39 wins in '86 to 42 wins in '87 despite adding Moses, swept in the 1st round. Had a losing record in '88

'89 Hawks: Went from 50 wins in '88 to only 52 wins with Moses, paired with Dominique Wilkins, lost in 1st round

He was past his prime by the late 80's, sure. But still putting up 21/11 on a daily bases around that time. Something tells me his impact wasn't really as good as the numbers suggest.

Sometimes the best player in the league doesnt always win alot; iverson 2005, kobe 2006

Kblaze8855
07-20-2022, 11:56 AM
LeBully manhandles anyone and everyone in his way. He would toss Moses up and down like pizza dough.

People dont understand how PHYSICAL Lebron’s playstyle is. It’s legendary in player circles.

Theres a reason every player is utterly shook by his presence on the court.

Lebron trying to get into rebounding positioning with Moses in the way:

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/WillingHelpfulFlicker-size_restricted.gif

1987_Lakers
07-20-2022, 11:57 AM
Sometimes the best player in the league doesnt always win alot; iverson 2005, kobe 2006

I'm obviously giving Moses a pass for his shitty Rockets teams.

To be fair, he wasn't anywhere near the best player in the league in '87 when he joined the Bullets, but still put up 24/11 that year, and the Bullets only improved by 3 games. His efficiency got worse and worse as he aged, I'm thinking his lack of post moves was the cause of this, couldn't really physically overpower you as he did in his younger days.

Kblaze8855
07-20-2022, 12:00 PM
I think the fact that his defensive impact was limited compared to other elite centers and that he was a black hole is the reason why he struggled with team success at times. He was pretty much the complete opposite of a peak Bill Walton in terms of playmaking ability, Walton was also on another tier on the defensive end as well, this helped him transform the Blazers to a juggernaut despite not being stacked with talent. Blazers 50-10 with Walton in '78, 8-14 without him, I doubt Moses ever had this type of impact on a team.

Is any of that the issue?

Does his all time standing matter when two small forwards used to 2020 ball are trying to keep him off the glass in 1982?

I wasn’t talking about who the better player was. Moses didn’t feeeeeeel like the best player even when he probably was. Guys like him just don’t get full credit for their play.

1987_Lakers
07-20-2022, 12:07 PM
Is any of that the issue?

Does his all time standing matter when two small forwards used to 2020 ball are trying to keep him off the glass in 1982?

I wasn’t talking about who the better player was. Moses didn’t feeeeeeel like the best player even when he probably was. Guys like him just don’t get full credit for their play.
Yea, but put him in 2020 ball so we could all see him get switched onto the perimeter to defend a guard. :oldlol:

Kblaze8855
07-20-2022, 12:14 PM
They would just play zone. He’s not switching shit. Like I said the rules and style are so different none of these people can be themselves 40 years apart from the game they learned.

Play the same game move for move Harden would have games with 17 turnovers off his use of the gather step and not letting him initiate contact on offensive fouls. It would truly be that stark a difference. How do we evaluate these people when you take go to moves from them?

Magic, Barkley, Mark Jackson and even Payton would back down more than 5 seconds just looking over the floor. It’s a turnover now. You alter handles, scoring moves, defense, ft rules and more.

We really are just pulling it out of our ass even having these talks. Neither side could play their game in the other league.

1987_Lakers
07-20-2022, 12:53 PM

How did I miss this? LOL

RRR3
07-20-2022, 01:04 PM
How did I miss this? LOL
Nostalgia stans :lol

dankok8
07-20-2022, 01:07 PM
Its hard to overstate just how differently a team like that would have to play under other rule sets. I do think the warriors are the goat team for the kind of basketball their league played but depending on the year in question you’re literally taking or adding points to games.

Even putting aside that before a certain time you’d be taking 15-20 points a game on the same shots due to not counting threes…

Even after they added threes the game was still geared towards playing inside. Guards had dribbling rules modified to help them score easier, had rules changed to allow easier scoring off the ball, fouls from 3 are 3 free throws when they used to be 2(that didn’t change till the 90s)…..

You straight up take points from the old teams with 5 second back to basket violations…straight up give points to new teams with the gather step which was a travel and took scoring move options away.

Its rigged greatly in favor of modern teams when you play with their rules. And teams are built accordingly.

Vs the 83 Sixers with Dray on Moses he would literally give up like 42/32. He’s never dealt with that physical a player with rules to allow him to just brutalize you. Steph and Klay would rain on anyone but the warriors aren’t built to deal with that kinda opponent without the rules to help slow him.

3 is of course more than 2 but an unstoppable 2 vs 40% from 3?

Its really hard to do these matchups because the rules and style of play matter so much.

Sure the Warriors would win vs like…the 79 Sonics. But you have to literally take 20 points away if they make the same shots since they would be 2s. You take more on the travels called. And wouldn’t they be easier to defend without Steph providing the spacing? Steph shooting a 28 footer off the dribble at 37% for 2 points?

**** it. We can score at better rates than that posting up. Why defend him so tight? Why over pursue and close out hard? You play him straight. They would lose their key edge there and have to win off 2 pointing you to death.

Could they?

Sure.

But you’d hardly recognize them if they really altered their game to play that way.

They could hang with anyone off talent but the games wouldn’t look like I think we imagine.

They would run you to death and win off better defensive effort than a lot of old teams played with.

:applause:

Someone gets it!

dankok8
07-20-2022, 01:20 PM
As for Moses I just think he ran out of juice after 1983. He won that title too and maybe got satisfied. No one is sure of the reason because he was like only 28 in 1983. But apart from the 1983 Sixers, there is also the fact that he didn't play on any other championship caliber team. Dr J declined pretty significantly as the 80's wore on as did Toney due to injuries. In the 1984-1986 period, the Sixers were still a good team but they weren't championship caliber by any metric. Anyways he was clearly out of his prime after 1983...

Axe
07-20-2022, 02:14 PM
Stephen curry was one of the best players in the league last year but didn't win anything at all.

TheMan
07-20-2022, 02:56 PM
Can't blame him for saying his team would win, every guy who has won a title I bet believes this.

Gohan
07-20-2022, 04:56 PM
Stephen curry was one of the best players in the league last year but didn't win anything at all.

Forgot about steph, dont think he even made the playoffs. He would have though if it wasnt for the worst idea in history: the play in

Axe
07-20-2022, 04:57 PM
Forgot about steph, dont think he even made the playoffs. He would have though if it wasnt for the worst idea in history: the play in
He was the first superstar to be the biggest victim of it, actually. Good thing he had klay back with him the following season.

paksat
07-20-2022, 05:41 PM
Shaq would score a hundred if the Lakers wanted too. How tall is Draymond again?

Axe
07-20-2022, 06:18 PM
Shaq would score a hundred if the Lakers wanted too.
No. That fully goes against numbah 8 kobe's ego. :no:

tontoz
07-20-2022, 06:30 PM
He was the first superstar to be the biggest victim of it, actually. Good thing he had klay back with him the following season.

They were 29-9 before Klay played his first game.

:kobe:

Axe
07-20-2022, 06:35 PM
They were 29-9 before Klay played his first game.

:kobe:
Sure thing uncle. But i was talking about making the playoffs tho..

tontoz
07-20-2022, 06:39 PM
Sure thing uncle. But i was talking about making the playoffs tho..

Pretty sure they would have made the playoffs this year without Klay. They were 20 games over .500 before he played his first game, and he wasn't that good when he came back.

They force fed him minutes and shots even though he wasn't helping them in the regular season. They were just hoping to get him ready for the playoffs.

And of course they had the 8 seed last year in spite of being 2-7 without Steph

Axe
07-20-2022, 06:45 PM
Pretty sure they would have made the playoffs this year without Klay. They were 20 games over .500 before he played his first game, and he wasn't that good when he came back.

They force fed him minutes and shots even though he wasn't helping them in the regular season. They were just hoping to get him ready for the playoffs.

And of course they had the 8 seed last year in spite of being 2-7 without Steph
I know uncle but the thing is, klay came back and sure enough they became title contenders again. We saw them winning a ring against boston and that's what matters the most.

tontoz
07-20-2022, 06:59 PM
I know uncle but the thing is, klay came back and sure enough they became title contenders again. We saw them winning a ring against boston and that's what matters the most.

I thought they won a ring because of Iggy. You can't even keep your story straight.

Axe
07-20-2022, 07:13 PM
I thought they won a ring because of Iggy. You can't even keep your story straight.
But some folks kept on saying he ain't significant anymore. Anyway, will just use 'core' instead and you already know they're composed of four guys, uncle. Five if you include their head coach.

ImKobe
07-21-2022, 12:52 AM
'01 Lakers are too versatile for GS to handle. They'd bench Grant and play Horry & Fox more minutes, so Shaq would be the only non-shooter on the court and he'd suck the defense in and Kobe's far too athletic for anyone to guard him as well. Lakers would have the edge on the glass and in the paint and they have the right kind of guards to put on Steph to wear him down on both ends. Lakers are the more athletic and physical team and have the talent to match, KB and Shaq would be 2 of the 3 best players in a hypothetical series.

SouBeachTalents
07-21-2022, 09:18 AM
'01 Lakers are too versatile for GS to handle. They'd bench Grant and play Horry & Fox more minutes, so Shaq would be the only non-shooter on the court and he'd suck the defense in and Kobe's far too athletic for anyone to guard him as well. Lakers would have the edge on the glass and in the paint and they have the right kind of guards to put on Steph to wear him down on both ends. Lakers are the more athletic and physical team and have the talent to match, KB and Shaq would be 2 of the 3 best players in a hypothetical series.
Really surprised you picked the Lakers tbh.

Gohan
07-21-2022, 09:28 AM
Really surprised you picked the Lakers tbh.

Dont start, the day you go against lebron we’ll have an ish party in california for all the posters on this board

Kblaze8855
07-21-2022, 09:36 AM
Iggy and Klay would be reasonable options to guard Kobe. He’s gonna get his but he’s not gonna feast specifically because of those matchups. Shaq remains the problem. But again…rules. 2001 still had illegal defense so the double would be slow. 2022 they could help on Shaq before he has the ball. Yes it opens it up for Horry and Fox but I don’t seem Shaq and Kobe just letting the game be decided that way. I think it comes down to who Kobe guards. With 2022 rules he’s ****ed on Steph. In 2001 he could do more but even then Reggie wore him out at times and Reggie wasn’t Steph. He did manage to contain Reggie at times but Reggie can’t really dribble to attack as a backup to losing him off the ball. Steph is a nearly total package.

Kobe on Steph or KD…who guards the other one? Then who chases Klay? And does Shaq guard Draymond at 25 feet as he’s looking to find shooters or do you put Horry or Fox out there? If so…who is Shaq guarding? Do you play zone? Box and one? Triangle and 2 maybe?

Shaq at 25 feet or guarding KD when they go small is tough. At least it’s 2017 not 2016 when Draymond was 39% from 3. That would be a real problem.

FilmyCogTurner
07-21-2022, 11:17 AM
I like this match up but LA has no answer for KD. Horry as a full time cover? Not good.

HoopsNY
07-21-2022, 01:16 PM

That's assuming the rules favor the Lakers. You're not accounting for the Warriors having guys like Livingston and Iguodala off the bench. Also, the Warriors could play McGee at the 5 to counter Shaq to at least contain him.

If the rules favor the Lakers era, then I can see LA having a slight advantage. But if it's 2017, then the Warriors have the clear advantage. Guys like Horry and Fox could hit the 3, but they weren't elite three point shooters back then either.

Kblaze8855
07-24-2022, 11:10 PM
Draymond had thoughts on another matchup:

https://www.hostpic.org/images/2207250838550369.jpeg

hold this L
07-24-2022, 11:24 PM
Draymond is going to have a lot to talk about because he wants attention to his podcast. So he's going to be even more insufferable than he's been throughout most of his career.

haven't been keeping up with this thread

but he should probably say what he thinks happens not just today but if they played in 98 if he's trying to be objective

also 5 of the 6 games were close in 98 so the idea they demolish utah is hard to believe

HoopsNY
07-24-2022, 11:28 PM

2017 Warriors would beat the '98 Bulls or Jazz under any rules format, let alone this era's. They probably beat the Bulls in 5. They probably beat the Jazz in 4.

here's another idea

give either team shaq and what does he think happens

HoopsNY
07-24-2022, 11:46 PM
here's another idea

give either team shaq and what does he think happens

Yea Draymond will never admit to stacking the deck, but his point does still stand. I'm not sure why he isolates '98, though. Though I do agree that was one of the weaker years in the league with the myriad of declines, deaths, and injuries (as well as weaker draft classes) the NBA had from the early 90s onward.

Yea Draymond will never admit to stacking the deck, but his point does still stand. I'm not sure why he isolates '98, though. Though I do agree that was one of the weaker years in the league with the myriad of declines, deaths, and injuries (as well as weaker draft classes) the NBA had from the early 90s onward.

97 jazz bulls was closer in the sense bulls only averaged .6 ppg more for the series

what is his point? if you stack and then shoot 20-25 more 3s per game with 3 historically good shooters you win regardless of by how much?

not rocket science

warriorfan
07-25-2022, 01:03 AM

High iq and accurate stuff. I’ve always said it’s asinine and a waste of time to try to compare eras. It’s a fun exercise but in the end it’s all bullshit hypotheticals.

High iq and accurate stuff. I’ve always said it’s asinine and a waste of time to try to compare eras. It’s a fun exercise but in the end it’s all bullshit hypotheticals.

he is comparing though by implying the present era is superior which would handicap the bulls and jazz

the fair point being what would happen if his team was handicapped and could only shoot 10 3s a game or something

don't compare but compare

contradiction

if he wants to be the "new media" he should set a better example which i think he may be capable of consistently doing

honestly don't care just talking for the record which may be the dumbest thing of all

if the jazz and bulls played a more modern brand in the sense of shooting 3s

i hope draymond understands how deadly of a shooter hornacek was

stockton and then russell were quite good too

jazz are getting more of a boost from that style change than chicago is

if my memory is correct some at the time criticized sloan for not encouraging more 3 point shooting

perhaps one could say utah was handicapped by the lack of flexibility in their coach

warriorfan
07-25-2022, 02:33 AM
he is comparing though by implying the present era is superior which would handicap the bulls and jazz

the fair point being what would happen if his team was handicapped and could only shoot 10 3s a game or something

don't compare but compare

contradiction

if he wants to be the "new media" he should set a better example which i think he may be capable of consistently doing

honestly don't care just talking for the record which may be the dumbest thing of all

Not gonna lie I don’t really know what the **** you just said but I think it proves my point

(Talking about comparing eras not Dray’s prediction)

Not gonna lie I don’t really know what the **** you just said but I think it proves my point

(Talking about comparing eras not Dray’s prediction)

i agree hypotheticals are not proof

draymond seems to think he has proof his team would blow out the 98 teams

that proof being the brand he sees

which he doesn't define

but one could easily speculate has a good bit to do with curry's 3>2 statement

which by draymond's own logic would mean curry is very dumb too for comparing elite teams in different eras when really he's just stating the obvious

Lebron23
07-25-2022, 05:28 AM
if the jazz and bulls played a more modern brand in the sense of shooting 3s

i hope draymond understands how deadly of a shooter hornacek was

stockton and then russell were quite good too

jazz are getting more of a boost from that style change than chicago is

if my memory is correct some at the time criticized sloan for not encouraging more 3 point shooting

perhaps one could say utah was handicapped by the lack of flexibility in their coach

https://scontent.fmnl25-3.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t39.30808-6/295824956_5442434935824035_2257102050164702789_n.j pg?_nc_cat=106&ccb=1-7&_nc_sid=dbeb18&_nc_ohc=aGSGqqNES3kAX8aB0Ue&tn=1KfdYit_FC5BjPoX&_nc_ht=scontent.fmnl25-3.fna&oh=00_AT_XLo4ejKUAj-uNQCpVbdg9UHVk2yolq9mSBYCl9e4L3A&oe=62E2F2D6

Lebron23
07-25-2022, 05:30 AM
2017 Warriors would beat the '98 Bulls or Jazz under any rules format, let alone this era's. They probably beat the Bulls in 5. They probably beat the Jazz in 4.

https://scontent.fmnl25-3.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t39.30808-6/295824956_5442434935824035_2257102050164702789_n.j pg?_nc_cat=106&ccb=1-7&_nc_sid=dbeb18&_nc_ohc=aGSGqqNES3kAX8aB0Ue&tn=1KfdYit_FC5BjPoX&_nc_ht=scontent.fmnl25-3.fna&oh=00_AT_XLo4ejKUAj-uNQCpVbdg9UHVk2yolq9mSBYCl9e4L3A&oe=62E2F2D6

Soundwave
07-25-2022, 07:08 AM
The Warriors are hard to beat, but it has less to do with style of play and more to do with modern superstars being mentally soft and wanting to team up with each other and having the avenue to do so via free agency.

That wasn't a thing in the 90s or even early 2000s as much anyway.

If it was, OK, lets have 1996-era Shaq run off and join the 72 win Jordan-Pippen-Rodman Bulls ... who beats that team? Nobody, ever.

Is that some kind of special achievement though? Not really.

Axe
07-25-2022, 07:28 AM
The '98 bulls are going to get swept without pippen.

HoopsNY
07-25-2022, 11:01 AM
The '98 bulls are going to get swept without pippen.

Water is indeed...wet.

Kblaze8855
07-25-2022, 05:03 PM
https://www.hostpic.org/images/2207260231510408.jpeg

theballerFKA Ace
07-25-2022, 05:26 PM

Change your username already old man. I know you were around to watch the 87 Lakers but I also know they aren't your favorite team. Every time I see you post it pisses me off

https://www.hostpic.org/images/2207260231510408.jpeg

exploitation is so common people become immune to it

when steve kerr says things like he couldn't make it in the nba today

despite being the 3p% king

is he

a. being humble
b. giving his opinion
c. stating a fact

if b or c he's bolstering the notion the present increasingly blows the past out of the water

Xiao Yao You
07-25-2022, 09:24 PM

is he

a. being humble
b. giving his opinion
c. stating a fact

if b or c he's bolstering the notion the present increasingly blows the past out of the water

he was pretty limited. He could shoot. He could bring up the ball. Not much else

he was pretty limited. He could shoot. He could bring up the ball. Not much else

he had a good assist to turnover ratio

and at least some years showed some defensive ability

but i could also say payton pritchard seems limited and not exactly a burgeoning all star yet was a first round pick

or doug mcdermott has made a career out of shooting and perhaps nothing else

outofstomach
07-25-2022, 10:32 PM
Lmao they dont even get that far without zaza. Most overrated team in nba history just to overrate the most overrated player in nba history lebronthat’s really what all of this hooplah and defending is from bron stans, if they prop up the warriors teams as the greatest ever and unbeatable, this excuses lebron’s L’s since no one else could’ve apparently did it :lol it’s honestly sad

3ba11
07-25-2022, 10:42 PM

is he

a. being humble
b. giving his opinion
c. stating a fact

No.

Stece Kerr didn't think he would make the NBA in the 80's either:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=kDjgBrNWL0c

So that's just how he thinks period.. He was intimidated by the 80's just as much

outofstomach
07-25-2022, 10:43 PM

yeah ive noticed he seems to flip flop his opinions depending on what thread or user he’s trying to troll :lol

No.

Stece Kerr didn't think he would make the NBA in the 80's either:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=kDjgBrNWL0c

So that's just how he thinks period.. He was intimidated by the 80's just as much

maybe

but he's talking about being a late second round pick and thinking he might not make it which many players in that situation in any era may think

also he's saying he was intimidated by jordan which is understandable

when he spoke about not being able to play in the nba in 2018 he's referring to multiple entire teams

wayne gretzky has doubted whether he could play in the nhl today and has said players are better

it's a somewhat common theme in sports as far as i know

if the widely perceived hockey goat feels that way again is he being humble or telling the truth or giving his opinion

3ba11
07-25-2022, 11:11 PM
maybe

but he's talking about being a late second round pick and thinking he might not make it which many players in that situation in any era may think

also he's saying he was intimidated by jordan which is understandable

when he spoke about not being able to play in the nba in 2018 he's referring to multiple entire teams

wayne gretzky has doubted whether he could play in the nhl today and has said players are better

it's a somewhat common theme in sports as far as i know

if the widely perceived hockey goat feels that way again is he being humble or telling the truth or giving his opinion

Today's players are inferior at basketball because the spacing makes plays easy

Take away the spacing and hands-off rules and we see the NBA's best barely beats international competition

So previous eras would destroy today's NBA players - they're too soft and not good at real basketball outside the spaced-out beginner format of Adam Silver's NBA..

Today's player is good at threes and gather-step layups - that's it - put some real traffic in front of them and they struggle to make plays or convert contested shots.. They also have inferior instinct than prior eras because the rules and format is a dumbed-down version of the game

Today's players are inferior at basketball because the spacing makes plays easy

Take away the spacing and hands-off rules and we see the NBA's best barely beats international competition

So previous eras would destroy today's NBA players - they're too soft and not good at real basketball outside the spaced-out beginner format of Adam Silver's NBA..

Today's player is good at threes and gather-step layups - that's it - put some real traffic in front of them and they struggle to make plays or convert contested shots.. They also have inferior instinct than prior eras because the rules and format is a dumbed-down version of the game

team usa doesn't send their best team anymore and if they did will be heavy favorites over a single country because of population size/history

there are quite a few more non american nba players as time goes by which means they are searching the globe for the best of the best

jokic is good at contested shots and making plays

giannis isn't called a freak for nothing

kawhi is like a less athletic jordan

curry has set the gold standard for sniping

lebron is great

etc.

if spacing/rules makes offense somewhat easier in general it also makes defense somewhat harder

if anything that should make people appreciate guys like gobert and jrue even more

kawhileonard2
07-26-2022, 12:53 AM

2017 Spurs beat them had the injury not happened.