PDA

View Full Version : Give me like 6 minutes of your time for this ridiculous hypothetical. Aliens arrive…

Kblaze8855
03-11-2022, 11:08 AM
They want our planet but their laws dictate they must allow a fair competition before taking it by force. They pretend it’s about honor but there are rumors it’s really because their government has based their entire economy on the intergalactic sports rights to view the competitions they have with each planet. We are being forced into the ultimate high stakes tournament which will be televised across the galaxy complete with sponsors and all that.

They lay out a format.

Three sports of your planets choosing. A seven game series in each with a one half game exhibition before it to determine home court advantage(more on that later). They win 2 of three and they conquer Earth. We win 2 of 3 they leave forever and supply us with space traveling technology and of course a way to subscribe globally to the Intergalactic Cable Network to take the sting off their L by getting humans to subscribe by the billion.

They let earth choose the order of the three matchups so we can lead with whatever we think our best category is if we want. They will provide use of their time machines to pull anyone we want from history to build a team for each sport.

The earth chooses soccer, basketball, and cricket after holding off an American push to make the third sport American football. It is decided the order will be Soccer played first and then basketball. We get series 2 which can either doom or save humanity for one more try with cricket depending on the outcome of series 1.

To build the roster many the final selections will be made by an all time panel of executives and coaches but they have decided a matter this important must have public input. A test is given to determine true fanhood and allow you access to vote on the fan choices which will be 20 percent of the final voting power mixed with 80% “experts” to submit a final roster.

Since they use time travel there is no one set of rules that would be fair to all times and this is what the exhibition game is for.

A large wheel with all 75 years of nba ball on it is to be spun by the ceo of a corporate sponsor(of course) to land on a season which will have its rules mirrored in the exhibition game that determines home court.

Winner chooses rules and location for games 1,3,5, and 7 all played with supposedly unbiased officials half earth based half intergalactic.

You don’t know what rules the aliens want. Maybe some 70s shit where this is a carry every time:

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/KlutzyCloseEelelephant-size_restricted.gif

Maybe the time with 3 to make 2 free throws, or legal offensive goaltending, or no flagrant fouls or maybe they love the modern game. No way to be sure.

All you know of the intergalactic team is that it’s made of 15 beings who have never played the sport but will travel back in time to practice for 10 years. You are told none of them will exceed human potential in any way. Nobody will be larger, stronger, or faster than anyone in the nba has ever been. They make no promises you won’t get 15 7’7” creatures the speed of Allen Iverson but generally….that nothing outside the realm of human potential will be on the court.

Where Im going is clear….

Give me your 15 man roster to save the earth. You won’t know the rules for the exhibition seeding game. Could be 1951 rules or 2019. You have 32 years that wouldn’t even have a 3 point line. May or may not have hand checking.

You have to build a roster to play any style asked vs unknown talent and practice together for one year before the exhibition game this day in 2023 led by one coach and two assistants of your choice.

Give me your ultimate consequences unknown rules squad and tell me who coaches it.

Sounds like a lot of work but we both know you have like 3 point guards in mind already.

Im gonna put way too much thought into it and make my list later.

FultzNationRISE
03-11-2022, 11:17 AM
Lebron James
Scottie Pippen
Dennis Rodman
Horace Grant
Toni Kukoc
BJ Armstrong
Ron Harper
Luc Longley
Orlando Woolridge
John Paxson
Stacey King

Coach: Phil GOATson.

Jasper
03-11-2022, 11:17 AM
this thread should end .... The world would of picked WWF over the NBA

Im Still Ballin
03-11-2022, 11:20 AM
Wilt // Shaq // Kareem
Duncan // Garnett// McHale // Dirk
LeBron // Pippen // Dr. J
Jordan // Kobe // Klay
Magic // Curry

Coach: Phil Jackson
Assistant: Tex Winter + K.C Jones

warriorfan
03-11-2022, 11:21 AM
Can we trade LeBron to the aliens so he will stat pad and lose?

Kblaze8855
03-11-2022, 11:26 AM
Can we trade LeBron to the aliens so he will stat pad and lose?

Plot twist….

We discover just before game 7 that Lebron(and his manservant James Jones) secretly agreed to help train the aliens to secure a spot in their society win or lose. He’s not about to risk being annihilated and blamed for it. If we lose he’s gonna be a hero to the aliens. He wins either way.

1987_Lakers
03-11-2022, 11:27 AM
C - Hakeem - Shaq - Walton
F - Bird - Garnett - Giannis
F - LeBron - Durant - Kawhi
G - MJ - Klay - Ginobili
G - Curry - Magic - CP3

Something like that.

Im Still Ballin
03-11-2022, 11:29 AM
On a team with lots of all-time great talent, you need to look for elite defenders. There's only one ball, so you need guys that can impact the game in other ways. Off-ball scoring is also highly prized. Guys who can catch lobs, set picks, roll to the rim, spot-up, and gets putbacks off the offensive rebounds. I need these qualities to truly maximize my team's potential.

Passing is also something that you can never have too much of. Just need to make sure you've got finishers.

FultzNationRISE
03-11-2022, 11:37 AM
Jokic
Bird
Lebron
Miller
Magic

Fate of the world requires smart, gritty, clutch competitors with the highest ceiling for teammwork.

Not fancy boy Steph Curry.

Im Still Ballin
03-11-2022, 11:39 AM
Jokic
Bird
Lebron
Miller
Magic

Fate of the world requires smart, gritty, clutch competitors.

But you don't know what era of rules the matchup will take place in. You need that Steph Curry off the bench just in case it's modern style. It's why I've got him, Klay, and Dirk on my team.

SouBeachTalents
03-11-2022, 11:41 AM
Magic/CP3/Stockton
Jordan/Kobe/Wade
Durant/Kawhi/Pippen
LeBron/Bird/KG
Hakeem/Robinson/Russell

FultzNationRISE
03-11-2022, 11:43 AM
But you don't know what era of rules the matchup will take place in. You need that Steph Curry off the bench just in case it's modern style. It's why I've got him, Klay, and Dirk on my team.

Available off the bench for specific situations maybe, sure. But my boy 1987 had Curry in the starting lineup for a series with the world on the line. IMO that’s ludicrous.

Im not trying to risk getting “Pouty Curry” or “Behind the Back Out of Bounds Pass” Curry with humanity at stake.

1987_Lakers
03-11-2022, 11:48 AM
Jokic
Bird
Lebron
Miller
Magic

Fate of the world requires smart, gritty, clutch competitors with the highest ceiling for teammwork.

That defense though

FultzNationRISE
03-11-2022, 11:50 AM
Actually, let me do mine over. It’s important to send those aliens a strong message about whom theyre dealing with before the game is even under way.

Oden
Ibaka
Lebron
Pippen
Childs

Give the aliens a lil “locker room tour” before the game starts and they probably wont even show up for tip off.

Im Still Ballin
03-11-2022, 11:52 AM
Actually, let me do mine over. It’s important to send those aliens a strong message about whom theyre dealing with before the game is even under way.

Oden
Ibaka
Lebron
Pippen
Childs

Give the aliens a lil “locker room tour” before the game starts and they probably wont even show up for tip off.

Fat Lever and Chubby Cox off the bench I assume.

Real Men Wear Green
03-11-2022, 11:53 AM
Centers Olajuwon, Kareem, and Wilt
PFs Duncan, KG, and Rodman
SFs Durant, James*, and Pippen
SGs Jordan, Dumars, Klay Thompson
PGs Chris Paul, Kyrie Irving*, Jason Kidd

Coach: Tom Thibodeau

Most of the players I listed are among the greatest of all time but this is not just a list of the guys I think are the best. Instead what I went for is mainly great defenders that could score shoot and pass on a high level (with asterisks given to players that definitely can defend but didn't always do it). The exception being Rodman, was a dominant force regardless when we had a more physical game and would only maybe be a problem with modern rules.

The point is high level defensive versatility while still being able to score as well as anyone ever could regardless of the rules. So if the game is played without a three-point line the starters would be MJ, Wilt, KG, James, and Kidd. If it's played with the three but 80s physicality I'd go with MJ, Kareem, James, Rodman and Chris Paul. And for the modern style it would be Olajuwon, KG, Durant, MJ and Irving.

Thibs is not the greatest coach of all time, obviously, or even close. But he is a great defensive coach and we are only talking about a few games so his style wouldn't be able to wear his rotation guys out.

FultzNationRISE
03-11-2022, 11:54 AM
Fat Lever and Chubby Cox off the bench I assume.

Bingo.

Im Still Ballin
03-11-2022, 11:56 AM
I was tempted to add a guy like Bobby Jones to my rotation. He's the type of player that you need on a team full of stars.

Johnny32
03-11-2022, 11:59 AM
I'm taking a mixed roster for any rules or style.

Steph, lebron, mj, kd, shaq, wilt, hakeem, kareem, klay, bird, kawhi. I'm driving but that's some of my roster. All peak?

FultzNationRISE
03-11-2022, 12:00 PM
That defense though

I think those guys as a team could play defense above the sum of their parts.

I also think people are overestimating the ease of just “throwing the best players together” and expecting dominance.

With the Earth on the line you cant afford to take risks with chemistry, fit, positioning, shot selection etc. You HAVE to be sure you have the smartest and hardest working players working together and doing whatever it takes, even if theyre not the top individuals. Teamwork always trumps individual stuff. With my roster I emphasized having the best TEAM.

Granted it may not have the highest ceiling, but they start out with an extremely high floor. Those are guys you put your trust in. I think given the scenario this makes the most sense.

Airupthere
03-11-2022, 12:17 PM
We don't know how tolerant and forgiving the aliens are going to be with regards to flopping and whining.

Also, Lebron doesn't work like that. You can't build a team around him. He has to LeGM the lineup for himself.

tontoz
03-11-2022, 12:25 PM
On a team with lots of all-time great talent, you need to look for elite defenders. There's only one ball, so you need guys that can impact the game in other ways. Off-ball scoring is also highly prized. Guys who can catch lobs, set picks, roll to the rim, spot-up, and gets putbacks off the offensive rebounds. I need these qualities to truly maximize my team's potential.

Passing is also something that you can never have too much of. Just need to make sure you've got finishers.

Reggie would be good in a format like this. Adding him also serves to troll OP. :oldlol:

Kblaze8855
03-11-2022, 12:47 PM
While the trolling attempt is appreciated I wouldn’t take Reggie just because I can’t afford a guard who can’t handle the ball well if it turns out they try to use insane athletic ability to press.

I can get Reggie’s Shooting from people who can do more things like Ray… who also may not make it. I’m not sure earth can afford a wing or guard without two of the 4…..shooting, athletic ability, handles/passing, and defense. By the standards of this team? Reggie gives us 1. A guy like Manu gives us 3 maybe 3 and a half while also being incredibly flexible and unselfish.

And he may not make the cut either.

1987_Lakers
03-11-2022, 12:52 PM
While the trolling attempt is appreciated I wouldn’t take Reggie just because I can’t afford a guard who can’t handle the ball well if it turns out they try to use insane athletic ability to press.

I can get Reggie’s Shooting from people who can do more things like Ray… who also may not make it. I’m not sure earth can afford a wing or guard without two of the 4…..shooting, athletic ability, handles/passing, and defense. By the standards of this team? Reggie gives us 1. A guy like Manu gives us 3 maybe 3 and a half while also being incredibly flexible and unselfish.

This is why I have Manu as one of my guards, very versatile and unselfish.

If the rules apply to now, then the 3 point shot is extremely important and someone like Reggie might be needed, then again why go with Reggie when Klay Thompson gives you that 3 point shooting with defense that Reggie doesn't have.

iamgine
03-11-2022, 12:57 PM
Y'all know the aliens are gonna show up with 15 7'7 Allen Iversons so might as well make a team of shooters.

Curry
Klay
Harden
Bird
Allen
Miller
Jokic
Korver
Peja
Durant
Nowitzki
Redick

Then get that fatass Don Nelson to coach this team.

tontoz
03-11-2022, 01:09 PM

I would take Ray over Reggie too but Ray has no trolling value. I dont think Reggies ball handling would matter much with so many great players on the team. His off the ball movement could cause the aliens problems.

Guy who can play in any era like CP3, Durant, Kareem, Hakeem, MJ, Lebron, Duncan have to be there.
High level defenders would be good to add with so much scoring. DRob, Artest, Pippen and Rodman. I don't really want to come up with a full roster because i know i will keep second guessing myself.