PDA

View Full Version : Phoenix almost traded Amare for KG in 2007; How good would they have been? [WHAT IF]

Im Still Ballin
12-20-2021, 05:42 AM
There were two variations of the trade: one where Marion goes to Boston and KG comes to Phoenix, and one where KG comes to Phoenix and Amare goes to Atlanta.

Question: how good would've Phoenix been with KG alongside Nash and Marion, or Nash and Amare? Which would be better? Would they win the championship?

Amare and KG together are interesting, but I like Marion and KG better. Better defense, durability, and versatility. Marion also showed he could step up and play a larger role on offense if needed.

Would they win it all in the 2007-2008 season?

They'd be contending with San Antonio, LA, and Detroit. I think they take home the championship. Even without Amare in 2006 the offense was elite (2nd in the league.) KG would take the defense to top 5 status.

warriorfan
12-20-2021, 07:20 AM
KG-Nash-Marion wins a championship unless major injuries

FultzNationRISE
12-20-2021, 10:36 AM
It’s impossible to say, sometimes the intangible fit of players matters more than the sum of their strength on paper. KG probably doesnt fit with Nash as well as Amare did (not saying it’s a bad fit, just not as good as Amare) and maybe that offsets the defensive boost they get. Or, maybe it doesnt and they'd be great.

Think about it in terms of Lebron. It would be great if he could play with stacked super teams, but he doesnt and never has. And yet he still became best in the world. That proves incontrovertibly he is the GOAT. Anyway I forget what point I was connecting this to. But that just goes to show how incredible Lebron really is.

I hope Ive answered your question.

Airupthere
12-20-2021, 10:38 AM
Nash-KG on the pnr? That would have been great.

pandiani17
12-20-2021, 12:54 PM
In the first scenario, is the trade done straight-up with Boston? I don't think Garnett ever contemplated leaving the Celtics at that time. Anyway, I think without Amare they would lose some offensive firepower, he was a beast in the paint and I don't see 2007 KG being as big as an offensive weapon as him. Defensevely, however, the step-up would be great.

3ba11
12-20-2021, 12:59 PM
If the greatest ball-dominators in history (Magic/Lebron) can't win without super-teams, then I can assure you that lesser ball-dominators like Nash or CP3 will also need super-teams to win with the inferior strategy of ball domination.

So KG wouldn't be enough - a 3rd star is needed (super-team), or maybe Nash can win if KG is the top producer like AD was in 2020 or like Booker was for CP3 in 2021.