PDA

View Full Version : Is it just me or did Sabonis seem to play bigger than he was?

Kblaze8855
12-13-2021, 05:29 PM
It’s hard to explain…or put a finger on why…but some big guys just seem utterly huge in their approach and some just seem…tall.

And it isn’t girth. Eddy Curry was huge but he didn’t play huge.

Sabonis played like an adult playing with kids on a slightly lowered rim:

https://youtu.be/KU8SM48BMqc

He makes the ball seem tiny, the rim look lowered, and his opponents seem of no consequence. One of the few bigs who made normal bigs seem small. Shaq had that same thing.

Sabonis seemed to take up the whole paint. Just toss the ball in like an apple into a trash can. I’d pay good money for that guy in mid 80s form to play in today’s league just one or two games.

Id pay like….600 dollars. Nothing extreme…but enough money to not laugh at.

Im paying 600 for a 87 Sabonis double header on the current Blazers after which he goes back to his time and I keep the footage.

eliteballer
12-13-2021, 05:37 PM
Sabonis was bigger than Shaq, one of two players the other being Priest Lauderdale who I’ve seen in the nba that were clearly larger than Shaq, overall speaking. Even Yao didn’t have the girth. There’s a picture of sabonis and Olajuwon where he makes the dream look like a guard.

Kblaze8855
12-13-2021, 05:44 PM
One thing is that all 3 of them(Shaq, Sabonis, and Priest) looked like normal people just blown up to gigantic size instead of stick figures as most people their height are. Stick figures with muscles in some cases but still. Shaq looked like a normal 6’2” guy only a foot taller. Lot of guys look like broomsticks on a weight gain plan.

Akeem34TheDream
12-13-2021, 05:55 PM
Does Sabonis have the biggest head of all time in NBA? I think so.

eliteballer
12-13-2021, 05:58 PM
One thing is that all 3 of them(Shaq, Sabonis, and Priest) looked like normal people just blown up to gigantic size instead of stick figures as most people their height are. Stick figures with muscles in some cases but still. Shaq looked like a normal 6’2” guy only a foot taller. Lot of guys look like broomsticks on a weight gain plan.

The difference between Shaq and every other massive big is he also moved like a normal sized athletic person at 7-1 350 lbs or whatever he was. His fluidity and lightness on his feet makes him the biggest freak of nature in the history of the game.

tpols
12-13-2021, 10:27 PM
Just has that serious eastern European size and strength. And stoic mentality like Jokic, lacks aesthetic muscle definition but is stronger than most that appear to be his size. Like a bear or something.

1987_Lakers
12-13-2021, 10:29 PM
During Shaq's peak, I thought Sabonis played the best defense on him.

Thenameless
12-13-2021, 11:01 PM
The difference between Shaq and every other massive big is he also moved like a normal sized athletic person at 7-1 350 lbs or whatever he was. His fluidity and lightness on his feet makes him the biggest freak of nature in the history of the game.

Wilt Chamberlain was like this. Even more so. Bigger, faster, stronger, more athletic. Shaq was a bit lighter on his feet, but Wilt was more graceful.

Round Mound
12-13-2021, 11:35 PM
Sabonis before injuries was a beast. With injuries still all star level.