PDA

View Full Version : BREAKING - ESPN: Jay Williams is FIRED

rawimpact
09-27-2021, 01:13 PM
ESPN just can’t seem to find the right mix of people for its NBA pregame show. Every couple of years, the Worldwide Leader rolls out a new crew for NBA Countdown, hoping they’ve finally found the right ingredients for a show that can match what Turner Sports has in Ernie Johnson, Charles Barkley, Kenny Smith and Shaquille O’Neal.

The Worldwide Leader can’t seem to find that, though (and they probably never will, given how great TNT’s show is).
ESPN continues to try, however..
According to a report from the New York Post’s Andrew Marchand, ESPN is once again shaking up the cast of NBA Countdown. One of the show’s analysts, Jay Williams, is reportedly out.

https://thespun.com/more/top-stories/sports-media-world-reacts-to-the-jay-williams-news

BurningHammer
09-27-2021, 01:19 PM
We know ESPN firing rate is usually high so it is not that surprising.

HBK_Kliq_2
09-27-2021, 01:19 PM
Thank god. He's carlton from fresh prince of bel air level dork. He was a bust who couldn't even make a free throw and then pretty much paralyzed himself by falling off a motorcycle hahahaha what an idiot

rawimpact
09-27-2021, 01:21 PM
I often hear my black friends refer to him as a Uncle Tom...

not sure if there's any merit there but I liked him as a commentator.

MadDog
09-27-2021, 01:22 PM
ESPN needs to alter the entire makeup of that show. From production to their analysts.

Stephonit
09-27-2021, 01:36 PM
Maybe if they actually treated their talent with respect and didn't force them to pander to the lowest common denominator all the time it wouldn't feel like some nightmarish race to the bottom. It's starting to seem as if everyone there is afraid of getting axed and that they need to say things to please their boss. They all end up being fake as a result.

Bronbron23
09-27-2021, 01:38 PM

I've never noticed that at all. Have to be careful about what blacks are making that claim. Some blacks have no idea what an uncle tom really is. They think if a brotha isn't street he's an uncle tom.

FultzNationRISE
09-27-2021, 03:11 PM
It’s just not possible to do what Inside does, from the constraints of the Disney Company.

The target audience isnt even the same. Inside comes on at 1 in the morning, so viewership is all adult, and that gives more leeway for off-color jokes and commentary.

ESPN pre-games and other studio stuff are mostly in primetime and target a family-oriented audience. On top of which theyre Disney, so theres not gonna be any risk taking with content. Also bc theyre Disney they’ll always have at least one woman on set, which unavoidably changes the dynamic of conversation. Usually not in a way that appeals to the traditional sports fan.

ArbitraryWater
09-27-2021, 03:12 PM

thats just cause he called out Montrezl for the bitch ass white boy thing.

Anyway, Jay Williams was probably the best thing about that show?

Not sure if i have the right one in mind but there's one where another black guy is on from like an NFL background and that dude is an idiot.

Shogon
09-27-2021, 03:57 PM
It’s just not possible to do what Inside does, from the constraints of the Disney Company.

The target audience isnt even the same. Inside comes on at 1 in the morning, so viewership is all adult, and that gives more leeway for off-color jokes and commentary.

ESPN pre-games and other studio stuff are mostly in primetime and target a family-oriented audience. On top of which theyre Disney, so theres not gonna be any risk taking with content. Also bc theyre Disney they’ll always have at least one woman on set, which unavoidably changes the dynamic of conversation. Usually not in a way that appeals to the traditional sports fan.

It's not only that but these guys are the best talent on TV period. Who the hell else exists anywhere in the sports world that could replicate the wit, comedy and insight? It doesn't exist on TV, that's for sure.

It's not even just the mega corporations in the background although that is obviously true. Imagine ESPN took their best of the best and tried to replicate that and gave them free reign to try anything... could they do it? Hell no.

Barkley alone is irreplaceable thus far, and that's not even getting into Ernie and Shaq.

hold this L
09-27-2021, 04:28 PM
ESPN just can’t seem to find the right mix of people for its NBA pregame show. Every couple of years, the Worldwide Leader rolls out a new crew for NBA Countdown, hoping they’ve finally found the right ingredients for a show that can match what Turner Sports has in Ernie Johnson, Charles Barkley, Kenny Smith and Shaquille O’Neal.
That's f*cking hilarious and delusional. Disney isn't there to create something that isn't about as basic and cookie cutter as it gets. The fact they believe they have a chance in hell to get this sorted is hilarious. Chuck would be fired within 2-3 weeks if he worked for Disney.

FultzNationRISE
09-27-2021, 06:29 PM
It's not only that but these guys are the best talent on TV period. Who the hell else exists anywhere in the sports world that could replicate the wit, comedy and insight? It doesn't exist on TV, that's for sure.

It's not even just the mega corporations in the background although that is obviously true. Imagine ESPN took their best of the best and tried to replicate that and gave them free reign to try anything... could they do it? Hell no.

Barkley alone is irreplaceable thus far, and that's not even getting into Ernie and Shaq.

I agree the TNT ensemble chemistry is perfect, but even if ESPN could straight up poach the entire cast... they wouldnt be willing to air that kind of program. So it would be moot.

SATAN
09-27-2021, 08:19 PM
Maybe if they actually treated their talent with respect and didn't force them to pander to the lowest common denominator all the time it wouldn't feel like some nightmarish race to the bottom. It's starting to seem as if everyone there is afraid of getting axed and that they need to say things to please their boss. They all end up being fake as a result.

Absolutely this. ESPN is cancer.

Jasper
09-28-2021, 11:34 AM
Williams really never played in the NBA (long term)
They always look for longevity for creditability

Number34
09-28-2021, 11:51 AM
They've been trying to replicate TNT for how many years now... Smart move would be to become everything TNT isn't. They could have their show be truly in-depth and actually give af about the game. Although idk if they would get views from that as it would only be appreciated by the die-hards.

SouBeachTalents
09-28-2021, 03:59 PM
Just to show how fcking lame ESPN is, look at this story they posted today

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/32289791/tom-brady-return-new-england-buccaneers-latest-homecoming-iconic-athlete

One of those names is not like the other, but they had to include some WNBA player literally nobody's ever heard of as an "icon" for some bullshit diversity reason

imdaman99
09-28-2021, 05:24 PM

ESPN has a broadcast team with the Mannings for their Monday Night Football games. They talk about life and some of the game, it's refreshing and a 100% more watchable than the usual nerds that interview everyone before the game to tell us what they spoke to the players and coaches about. Maybe it's time to get some goofy retired players (which Barkley essentially is) in there and let them talk about sports and their experiences.

j3lademaster
09-28-2021, 06:16 PM
They've been trying to replicate TNT for how many years now... Smart move would be to become everything TNT isn't. They could have their show be truly in-depth and actually give af about the game. Although idk if they would get views from that as it would only be appreciated by the die-hards.No. The knee-deep sports fans will watch no matter what, so you pander to casuals. Get your viewership as high as possible.

j3lademaster
09-28-2021, 06:19 PM
Just to show how fcking lame ESPN is, look at this story they posted today

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/32289791/tom-brady-return-new-england-buccaneers-latest-homecoming-iconic-athlete

One of those names is not like the other, but they had to include some WNBA player literally nobody's ever heard of as an "icon" for some bullshit diversity reasonI couldn't name you 5 Wnba TEAMS, let alone players.

SouBeachTalents
09-28-2021, 06:25 PM
I couldn't name you 5 Wnba TEAMS, let alone players.
I actually found their real motive to include her on the list. At the very end of the article

Meanwhile, Copper and Dolson still play for Chicago, which advanced to the WNBA semifinals and faces Connecticut on Tuesday (8 p.m. ET, ESPN 2). -- Voepel

They put her with the likes of LeBron, Gretzky & Ronaldo just to promote their shitty WNBA game, fcking shameless :oldlol:

kawhileonard2
09-28-2021, 11:19 PM
He was on the show today. When does it go into effect?

Lakers Legend#32
09-29-2021, 12:59 PM
Who even watches ESPN's studio show.
If it's not TNT, why bother?

ClipperRevival
09-30-2021, 04:51 PM
Good.

The guy sucked. Honestly seems like most analysts who claim LeBron is the GOAT suck (Ryan Hollins :roll:, Perkins, Wright, Cowherd).

Shogon
09-30-2021, 05:08 PM
He was not fired. He continues to regularly appear on their programs.