PDA

View Full Version : Steph Curry is shooting 43% from 3 for his career

AirBonner
09-10-2021, 04:05 PM
Lol at midrange that would be a 60% midrange equivalent. Steph is the GOAT shooter and it’s not even close.

j3lademaster
09-10-2021, 04:22 PM
Water is wet. Just like Steph's jumper.

tontoz
09-10-2021, 04:27 PM
A lot of those 3s are well behind the line. A lot of them are off the dribble and/or heavily contested.

:bowdown:

HBK_Kliq_2
09-10-2021, 04:41 PM
He's shooting like that and been in 5 different finals, i imagine this guy won multiple finals MVPS at least

8Ball
09-10-2021, 04:54 PM
Lol at midrange that would be a 60% midrange equivalent. Steph is the GOAT shooter and it’s not even close.

But shouldn't he shoot less efficient long twos like they did in the 90s?

Shogon
09-10-2021, 05:08 PM
Yep, Steph being the best shooter in NBA history might be the most obvious objective truth of who the best ever was at any one given aspect of the sport.

ELITEpower23
09-10-2021, 05:41 PM
As a #1 option too, not as a catch and shoot Reggie Miller/Kyle Korver type.

Phenomenal.

Axe
09-11-2021, 03:54 AM
Does he retain that in the postseason?

AirBonner
09-11-2021, 12:53 PM
As a #1 option too, not as a catch and shoot Reggie Miller/Kyle Korver type.

Phenomenal.

Spot on

Bronbron23
09-11-2021, 12:55 PM

Not a steph fan but he's easily the best shooter ever.

That said there's dozens of players i'd take to hit a shot in the finals in the clutch so i take his greatest shooter ever title with a grain of salt.

tontoz
09-11-2021, 01:15 PM
One thing I see a lot across league is in end of game situations tied or down one guys settle for 3s rather that getting a shot closer in. In those situations a 15 foot jumper is better than a 3.

Bronbron23
09-11-2021, 01:31 PM
One thing I see a lot across league is in end of game situations tied or down one guys settle for 3s rather that getting a shot closer in. In those situations a 15 foot jumper is better than a 3.

I think the 3>2 argument is a good one the problem is some people act like it's a given. It's situational. For instance let's take some of james hardens bad shooting games. This isn't always true in games like his where his shot isn't falling. At what point do you say they're crowding the 3 point line and waiting for me at the rim so maybe i should settle for an open mid? Steph has done this also but not as often. He's a bit smarter. Usually if the 3 isn't there and there's nothing at the rim he'll settle for a mid or reset.

Axe
09-11-2021, 08:36 PM

That said there's dozens of players i'd take to hit a shot in the finals in the clutch so i take his greatest shooter ever title with a grain of salt.
Like what's previously been said before, one of the good things steph curry is good at is making buzzer beater shots during ongoing quarters. Too bad those shots wouldn't hit so easily when pressure have risen to a great extent, esp. in crucial moments. This is very true in the postseason.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=MvtYUcbenCU

MadDog
09-12-2021, 04:20 AM
The greatest bullseye. Curry haters will bring up his midrange, but he's elite from there too.

Bronbron23
09-12-2021, 11:09 AM
The greatest bullseye. Curry haters will bring up his midrange, but he's elite from there too.

Nah we bring up pressure shots deep in the post season. Curry is easily the best shooter ever but at the same time if you had to pick a player to hit a game winning shot in the finals he wouldn't even crack the top 20. So take from that what you will.

MadDog
09-12-2021, 11:35 AM
Nah we bring up pressure shots deep in the post season. Curry is easily the best shooter ever but at the same time if you had to pick a player to hit a game winning shot in the finals he wouldn't even crack the top 20. So take from that what you will.

Hitting pressure shots shouldn't be the argument. At least not a significant one. There are "clutcher" players than Curry who don't have his shooting ability. I agree he plays worse in pressure moments, but that's mostly because of his build.

Hey Yo
09-12-2021, 11:46 AM

If I only needed a 2pt shot FTW.... there's definitely other players I'd take before Curry.

Bronbron23
09-12-2021, 11:49 AM
Hitting pressure shots shouldn't be the argument. At least not a significant one. There are "clutcher" players than Curry who don't have his shooting ability. I agree he plays worse in pressure moments, but that's mostly because of his build.

Well it's not a significant enough of a argument to not make him best shooter ever that's why i have him as such. It us however a much better argument than the mid range one you brought up.

Hey Yo
09-12-2021, 11:50 AM

Only 7% of his career FGA have been from mid-range. That's not a big enough sample size to say he's elite from mid-range.

Bronbron23
09-12-2021, 11:51 AM
If I only needed a 2pt shot FTW.... there's definitely other players I'd take before Curry.

Yeah even if i neede a 3 there's others i'd go with. He's missed almost every clutch shot in the finals

MadDog
09-12-2021, 11:57 AM
Well it's not a significant enough of a argument to not make him best shooter ever that's why i have him as such. It us however a much better argument than the mid range one you brought up.

Maybe where you're from, but not here in the States. When it pertains to being the "GOAT shooter", more fans get on Curry not taking enough 2s than being unclutch. Look at the poster above you singling out 2s lol

Axe
09-12-2021, 11:59 AM
One of the most finest takes you have given itb.

Hey Yo
09-12-2021, 12:05 PM
Maybe where you're from, but not here in the States. When it pertains to being the "GOAT shooter", more fans get on Curry not taking enough 2s than being unclutch. Look at the poster above you singling out 2s lol

So Steph is the best shooter from mid-range that you've ever seen?

Axe
09-12-2021, 12:13 PM
Yeah even if i neede a 3 there's others i'd go with. He's missed almost every clutch shot in the finals
Such as this one.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=lKG8nRIXj9s

Bronbron23
09-12-2021, 12:17 PM
Such as this one.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=lKG8nRIXj9s

Yeah man. Saw somewhere where he's 0-8 in the finals on clutch shots. Not sure if that's true but if so that's pretty bad.

Axe
09-12-2021, 12:20 PM
Yeah man. Saw somewhere where he's 0-8 in the finals on clutch shots. Not sure if that's true but if so that's pretty bad.
I shared a video about that here earlier, although all those 8 attempts weren't limited to the finals.

Like what's previously been said before, one of the good things steph curry is good at is making buzzer beater shots during ongoing quarters. Too bad those shots wouldn't hit so easily when pressure have risen to a great extent, esp. in crucial moments. This is very true in the postseason.

Bronbron23
09-12-2021, 12:21 PM

Maybe they do but regardless of who gets him on him about what i'd say his poor shooting in the clutch is the best argument to his best shooter ever title. I mean if winning is the everything and the finals is the biggest stage this should be a pretty big factor:confusedshrug:

Stephonit
09-12-2021, 12:40 PM

Wow 0-8! I guess that means 8 losses? Eh, no. Still won two of those because they went to overtime. Curry playing a central role both times setting the overtime record in one of them. Also if the question is instead of a shot to win outright it is a last 20 second shot to tie—the numbers change significantly.

According to the selective finely parsed phrasing of what they define as clutch the following isn't clutch:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UrS66Uu0bb4

That isn't clutch? Yeah right.

The BSPN video then goes on to say no one else is close? Maybe that's because the number of players playing as many playoffs games as Curry and being asked to take the last shot is not that many? Another example of if you torture the numbers enough they'll confess to anything.

BSPN with more bull.

Maybe the number of times the Warriors were down more than double digits at halftime and still went on to win a playoffs game should be tallied and compared to others. I wouldn't be surprised at all if there are more instances of that than losses stemming from Curry not making a last 20 second shot. I'll take Curry every time over anyone else in this generation when it comes to clutch.

MadDog
09-12-2021, 01:48 PM
Maybe they do but regardless of who gets him on him about what i'd say his poor shooting in the clutch is the best argument to his best shooter ever title. I mean if winning is the everything and the finals is the biggest stage this should be a pretty big factor:confusedshrug:

Neither argument is really a good one. How relevant can "big stage shots" be if by your own admission, Curry is the best shooter.

So Steph is the best shooter from mid-range that you've ever seen?

Where did I imply that? Nearly half of Curry's field goals are from 2, and he is above the league average in percentile.

Bronbron23
09-12-2021, 03:13 PM
Neither argument is really a good one. How relevant can "big stage shots" be if by your own admission, Curry is the best shooter.

Where did I imply that? Nearly half of Curry's field goals are from 2, and he is above the league average in percentile.

Well my belief or admission isn't gospel. Personally i think his overall shooting is way to good to let a handful of really import shots influence my decision. I would understand someone thinking otherwise though. Someone like ray allen was a great shooter plus he hit some big shots. I wouldn't agree but i wouldn't think anyone saying ray was crazy talk.

MadDog
09-12-2021, 03:49 PM
Well my belief or admission isn't gospel. Personally i think his overall shooting is way to good to let a handful of really import shots influence my decision. I would understand someone thinking otherwise though. Someone like ray allen was a great shooter plus he hit some big shots. I wouldn't agree but i wouldn't think anyone saying ray was crazy talk.

True, no individual is, but most people give Curry that title. And the bold is where the majority agree. Curry's own teammate might be the second greatest shooter ever. If you wanted to argue he's in that tier with Steph, I wouldn't give you pushback.

Hey Yo
09-12-2021, 03:49 PM

You said Steph was elite from mid-range. So with you thinking he's the best shooter ever, then that means you think his arsenal from anywhere on the floor is better than any player in history.

Greatest 3pt shooter yes, but not the greatest shooter ever inside the arc.

MadDog
09-12-2021, 03:50 PM
You said Steph was elite from mid-range. So with you thinking he's the best shooter ever, then that means you think his arsenal from anywhere on the floor is better than any player in history.

Greatest 3pt shooter but not best shooter ever inside the arc.

Not it doesn't. You can be the "greatest shooter" ever, and still be better from one area of the court than the other.

Bronbron23
09-12-2021, 03:53 PM
True, no individual is, but most people give Curry that title. And the bold is where the majority agree. Curry's own teammate might be the second greatest shooter ever. If you wanted to argue he's in that tier with Steph, I wouldn't give you pushback.

Yeah klay is close. Pure shooting it's probably a toss up. I give steph the edge because he's much better at creating his own shot.

Hey Yo
09-12-2021, 03:54 PM
Calling someone the greatest shooter ever means you wouldn't have anyone else taking the shot... regardless of where it's at on the floor.

MadDog
09-12-2021, 03:59 PM
Calling someone the greatest shooter ever means you wouldn't have anyone else taking the shot... regardless of where it's at on the floor.

Most people want Jordan taking THE shot. Being GOAT doesn't mean you're perfect from everywhere. Nobody is.

Hey Yo
09-12-2021, 04:15 PM
Most people want Jordan taking THE shot. Being GOAT doesn't mean you're perfect from everywhere. Nobody is.

Like I said earlier... if I need a 3, it's Steph. If I only need a 2pt shot FTW, there's other players I would take before him.

Calling someone the best at something means there's no one better. People don't call MJ the goat just because of his shooting. It's more about his all around game. With Steph, you're picking one aspect of the game and calling him the greatest ever. Yet we both know there are areas inside the arc we would rather have take the shot than Steph.

Bronbron23
09-12-2021, 04:25 PM
Like I said earlier... if I need a 3, it's Steph. If I only need a 2pt shot FTW, there's other players I would take before him.

Calling someone the best at something means there's no one better. People don't call MJ the goat just because of his shooting. It's more about his all around game. With Steph, you're picking one aspect of the game and calling him the greatest ever. Yet we both know there are areas inside the arc we would rather have take the shot than Steph.

You would take steph to hit a game winning three over mj? As mediocre as mj could be at tmes from 3 i'm taking mj all day over steph to hit a 3 to win a game in the finals. I'm taking most great shooters over steph in that situation

j3lademaster
09-12-2021, 04:42 PM

Calling someone the best at something means there's no one better. People don't call MJ the goat just because of his shooting. It's more about his all around game. With Steph, you're picking one aspect of the game and calling him the greatest ever. Yet we both know there are areas inside the arc we would rather have take the shot than Steph.EXACTLY. But this is a thread about Steph being the best shooter. Would you say Steph is much closer to MJ as a 2 point jumpshooter than MJ is to Steph as a 3 pointshooter?

MadDog
09-12-2021, 04:42 PM

I agree that MJ's shooting doesn't make him GOAT. The point is most would take Jordan for "the shot" over Curry. Do you think Jordan is actually the better shooter though? My argument for Steph are threes, freethrows & that he's elite (above average) from 2. Technically, he's the better shooter.

j3lademaster
09-12-2021, 04:46 PM
You would take steph to hit a game winning three over mj? As mediocre as mj could be at tmes from 3 i'm taking mj all day over steph to hit a 3 to win a game in the finals. I'm taking most great shooters over steph in that situationIn the finals? Yeah I'd probably go with MJ if it's a close series Steph doesn't get to front-run and dance on. MJ set the finals 3 pt record just because the media said Drexler is a better 3 point shooter. He also his a dagger 3 in the flu game. His performances in the finals when it came down to the wire is why many consider him the goat. Hell, if we're talking about needing baskets to close out a finals game, forget MJ. I may take Khris Middleton with the way he closed the Suns in the finals.

Bronbron23
09-12-2021, 04:56 PM
In the finals? Yeah I'd probably go with MJ if it's a close series Steph doesn't get to front-run and dance on. MJ set the finals 3 pt record just because the media said Drexler is a better 3 point shooter. He also his a dagger 3 in the flu game. His performances in the finals when it came down to the wire is why many consider him the goat. Hell, if we're talking about needing baskets to close out a finals game, forget MJ. I may take Khris Middleton with the way he closed the Suns in the finals.

Yeah Middleton was nice with it for sure

Hey Yo
09-12-2021, 05:25 PM
You would take steph to hit a game winning three over mj? As mediocre as mj could be at tmes from 3 i'm taking mj all day over steph to hit a 3 to win a game in the finals. I'm taking most great shooters over steph in that situation

For a game winner, the opposition probably wouldn't expect MJ to take the 3 so he might not be covered as tightly behind the arc as Steph would be. I honestly don't think the play called would have MJ taking the shot in that situation.

I'm leaning towards Steph still.

Bronbron23
09-12-2021, 05:57 PM
For a game winner, the opposition probably wouldn't expect MJ to take the 3 so he might not be covered as tightly behind the arc as Steph would be. I honestly don't think the play called would have MJ taking the shot in that situation.

I'm leaning towards Steph still.

I disagree that in a game winning or trying situation where the bulls needed a three that the other team wouldn't expect mj to shoot it but choosing steph over mj for a winning three is fair. I guess for me i just think clearly steph is the better pure shooter but mj has a much better ability to get a clean look. MJ's height, elevation and quicker first step is unmatched by steph. For steph to get a clean look he either needs a screen or alot of dribbling and moves to get a good look. Mj can just take a one or two dribble and elevate over the defense. Here's a video of steph's clutch shots in the playoffs https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=MvtYUcbenCU In almost everyone there's a hand in his face. He dosn't have enough speed or elevation to create the kind of space and look that mj does.

So For me it's not really a question of would i rather mj shooting a three over steph in the playoffs for a win. It's would i rather mj for a clean look at a three or steph for a contested one.

Axe
09-12-2021, 07:47 PM
Wow 0-8! I guess that means 8 losses? Eh, no. Still won two of those because they went to overtime. Curry playing a central role both times setting the overtime record in one of them. Also if the question is instead of a shot to win outright it is a last 20 second shot to tie—the numbers change significantly.

According to the selective finely parsed phrasing of what they define as clutch the following isn't clutch:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UrS66Uu0bb4

That isn't clutch? Yeah right.

The BSPN video then goes on to say no one else is close? Maybe that's because the number of players playing as many playoffs games as Curry and being asked to take the last shot is not that many? Another example of if you torture the numbers enough they'll confess to anything.

BSPN with more bull.

Maybe the number of times the Warriors were down more than double digits at halftime and still went on to win a playoffs game should be tallied and compared to others. I wouldn't be surprised at all if there are more instances of that than losses stemming from Curry not making a last 20 second shot. I'll take Curry every time over anyone else in this generation when it comes to clutch.
Yes, all these clutch misses from him in the playoffs while he can obliterate any generic player from a laughingstock team and stat pad his points during garbage time. That's stephen curry for you i suppose. Oh, and let's not forget that he let opposing d league and role players like dev and vanvleet flourish in the finals too.

3ba11
09-12-2021, 08:50 PM
Curry isn't a good 2-point jumpshooter because he can't pull-up off a hard dribble and elevate over anyone, which is required of mid-range shooting

He only shoots mid-range if there's nothing else, so like 5 times a year.. He can't actually put up numbers off mid-range.