08-30-2021, 05:40 AM
Players Clutch Traditional

2019-20, Westbrook shot 22% from 3pt in the clutch

2018-19, Westbrook shot 18% from 3pt in the clutch

2017-18, Westbrook shot 21% from 3pt in the clutch

2016-17, Westbrook shot 32% from 3pt in the clutch

2015-16, Westbrook shot 20% from 3pt in the clutch

2014-15, Westbrook shot 9% from 3pt in the clutch

Westbrook takes awful shots late in games and is a horrible shooter.

His only role is to try to drive and then distribute, which is already Bron's role and Bron does it better.

think about it from a coach's perspective - what is Russell's role?

If LeBron has the ball then Russell destroys the spacing for Bron and AD, but if Russ has the ball then he's gonna make worse decisions and take worse shots at a lower rate than Bron would.

And he sure ain't gonna make up for that on the defensive end. So whats is Russell going to do?

coastalmarker99
08-30-2021, 05:46 AM
Westbrook has now lost 24 of his last 32 playoff games going back to 2016 WCF.

Last 8 postseasons:

FG% are 41%, 42%, 40%, 39%, 40%, 36%, 42%, and 33%.

3pt %'s are 22%, 28%, 32%, 26%, 36%, 32%, 24%, and 25%.

Turnovers are 4.0, 4.4, 4.3, 6.0, 5.2, 4.6, 3.8, and 4.2.

So basically playoff Westbrook since that 2012 Finals run is 39% shooting and 28% from 3pt with 4.5 turnovers/game and shit defence.

Beal only won 1 playoff game with him.

Oladipo only won 1 playoff game with him.

Harden only won 3 playoff games with him.

PG13 only won 3 playoff games in 2 years with him.

KD left OKC to get away from him after blowing a 3-1 lead against the GSW and it's been a decade since KD/Russ/Harden/Ibaka managed to win 1 Finals game together.

Still Westbrook on the Lakers can work, we just don't know "how" it will work yet. They got talent on this team, it's just some very weird fits.

I still haven't heard anyone say what Westbrook's specific role is going to be late when he doesn't play defence, can't shoot for shit and doesn't make good decisions.

At best late in the game he's a poor man's Bron with the drive-and-kick, and why do you want that when you have the actual Bron?

coastalmarker99
08-30-2021, 05:50 AM
For me personally

Westbrook's main role on the Lakers this season should be to tax out and tire the other team's defence, create disruption.

So that there are openings for Bron/AD and shooters, and run the opp into the ground while LeBron is on the bench.

Not to mention allow LeBron to take games off during the regular season.

It's possible for Russell to make a very useful contribution for 30 minutes/game, and still have

AD + Bron + defence/shooting be the ideal crunch time lineup for the Lakers

coastalmarker99
08-30-2021, 05:58 AM
2021 Wizards' defence was 19th

2020 Rockets' defence was 14th

2019 Rockets' defence was 17th

2018 Thunder defence was 9th

2017 Thunder defence was 10th

2016 Thunder defence was 13th

2015 Thunder defence was 16th

It should be noted that Russell has played for middling defensive teams for 7 straight seasons and he's usually been one of the top 1-2 weakest links on defence. Russell teams literally had to leave their shooters on the bench.

so they could start no-offence guys like Andre Roberson or Thabo Sefolosha next to Russell to cover his ass on defence.

Russell for the past couple of seasons has been surrounded by defenders like Capela, Tucker, PG13, Oladipo, Ibaka, etc. and his teams still weren't performing defensively.

The Lakers clutch defence vs the Nets if they meet in the finals outside of AD is gonna be.

washed Ariza

old LeBron

no-defense Ellington

no-defense Westbrook

The Lakers roster Is such a train wreck on defence.

Vogel will need to be very willing to change lineups depending on the situation

LeBron will have to give effort on the defensive end at age 37 like the championship season where he tried all year.

The Lakers need to get wings instead of stacking up on guards.

coastalmarker99
08-30-2021, 06:02 AM
I know Westbrook has the skillset to adjust his game.

But I don't know if the mentality is there with him

And I don't see what his skill set is for late-game situations on this Lakers team.

I'm still waiting for anyone to answer the question of what Westbrook's role would be late.

If Westbrook in his minutes

Play hard on defence

Average less than 7 defensive boards/game

Take less than 4 threes/game

I'm gonna be impressed with his adjustment and consider that he might have a serious chance to win a title with us.

RRR3
08-30-2021, 09:09 AM
Are you Lazeruss/Jlauber?