PDA

View Full Version : Do you guys like or dislike that traveling and other mistakes aren't called anymore?

hiphopanonymous
04-07-2021, 04:14 PM
https://streamable.com/vipikz

Highlight of Steph from last night. Technically, he traveled as he continued lifting and setting his feet well after he lost his dribble actually he finished the play as if the ball bumping into his rear end was a purposeful dribble and the start of his "gather" step. :lol

In years past refs would have penalized him for this mistake because it was exactly that - a mistake. But since the game is so focused on watching these players finish plays (whether there's a mistake or not) in smooth looking form everything seems to be going in a direction of ignoring mistakes just to see what happens which idk what that's for fan entertainment I guess? Less stoppage of plays? What's interesting to me too is exactly opposite happens now for defense, refs are ruthlessly picky on defense now to the point they basically don't want it to be played because I've seen so many non-contact or near as makes no contact plays go the way of a whistle for a player who drove or shot. Thoughts on these lacks offensive officiating / harsh defensive calls?

ralph_i_el
04-07-2021, 04:32 PM
Dislike. If you don't make calls, they will just get more brazen until you have to start making them.

Xiao Yao You
04-07-2021, 04:34 PM
It's a joke. Everything favors offense. Give the defense a chance

PistonsFan#21
04-07-2021, 04:47 PM

Highlight of Steph from last night. Technically, he traveled as he continued lifting and setting his feet well after he lost his dribble actually he finished the play as if the ball bumping into his rear end was a purposeful dribble and the start of his "gather" step. :lol

In years past refs would have penalized him for this mistake because it was exactly that - a mistake. But since the game is so focused on watching these players finish plays (whether there's a mistake or not) in smooth looking form everything seems to be going in a direction of ignoring mistakes just to see what happens which idk what that's for fan entertainment I guess? Less stoppage of plays? What's interesting to me too is exactly opposite happens now for defense, refs are ruthlessly picky on defense now to the point they basically don't want it to be played because I've seen so many non-contact or near as makes no contact plays go the way of a whistle for a player who drove or shot. Thoughts on these lacks offensive officiating / harsh defensive calls?

That Steph Curry play is not a double dribble or a travel though...you are allowed to keep on dribbling if you never stopped your dribble or picked up the ball with both hands. I dont think it goes against any rules in the book

Airupthere
04-07-2021, 07:01 PM
Dislike obvious ones that are not called and get repeatedly done. For ones that are hard to call, its fine. You would have that in any other era.

HylianNightmare
04-07-2021, 07:07 PM
It's cool. The step through I used to get into Hella arguments over the park draws ooohs and ahs now and every kid does what I grew up calling a travel step back. Makes it more fun to play for sure, just travel

mr4speed
04-07-2021, 07:10 PM
That Steph Curry play is not a double dribble or a travel though...you are allowed to keep on dribbling if you never stopped your dribble or picked up the ball with both hands. I dont think it goes against any rules in the book

He travelled, but this is never called anymore. After he first touches the ball he repositions both feet to get the shot off. Making this call takes away from what the fans want to see. If the game was officiated the way it was "a long time ago" the game would be dull and boring to the fans, because there would be a violation on almost every possession. The offensive player today is allowed to cup and carry the ball, take steps etc. I understand it but at the same time we as viewers need to understand the changes that have been made and how those changes have enhanced the offensive end of the court.

tontoz
04-07-2021, 07:10 PM
If you are going to make a thread like this at least pick an example that is actually a violation :facepalm

Xiao Yao You
04-07-2021, 07:29 PM
He travelled, but this is never called anymore. After he first touches the ball he repositions both feet to get the shot off. Making this call takes away from what the fans want to see. If the game was officiated the way it was "a long time ago" the game would be dull and boring to the fans, because there would be a violation on almost every possession. The offensive player today is allowed to cup and carry the ball, take steps etc. I understand it but at the same time we as viewers need to understand the changes that have been made and how those changes have enhanced the offensive end of the court.

there wouldn't be a violation on every play because players would stop doing it

Derka
04-07-2021, 07:33 PM
Traveling is called...just not for everyone. If you’re less than a superstar, they’ll get you for traveling calls that they’d never call on a superstar.

Bronbron23
04-07-2021, 08:08 PM

I'm fine with it just bring back physical defense to offset it

eliteballer
04-07-2021, 08:09 PM
The way players travel and palm the ball today is streetball level.

StrongLurk
04-07-2021, 08:13 PM
The game was best between 2006-2014.

League had a balance of rules called right and still had an equal amount of mid range and 3-point shot attempts.

The playoffs are always great of course, but the regular reason these last few years has been pretty crazy. Biggest thing I can't stand is how protected shooters are now.

DoctorP
04-07-2021, 09:03 PM
As long as it's tighter in the playoffs I don't mind it as much.

Mr. Woke
04-07-2021, 10:36 PM
Quit lying OP.

Refs do their best to calls travels (and other violations) when they occur.

The refs nowadays are superior than the refs of previous eras.

BigShotBob
04-08-2021, 12:51 AM
That wasn't a travel because he lost control of the ball.

The carrying and illegal palming of the ball is what has become quite egregious.

2much_knowledge
04-08-2021, 02:46 AM
I dislike it, unless it leads to a monster dunk. Nobody likes to ruin a dunk with a petty call

Lebron23
04-08-2021, 02:58 AM
I thought it was more of a double dribble violation, but Steph lost control of the ball.

Mr. Woke
04-08-2021, 07:30 AM
That wasn't a travel because he lost control of the ball.

The carrying and illegal palming of the ball is what has become quite egregious.

Not at all.

Quit lying.

Kblaze8855
04-08-2021, 09:20 AM
If you are going to make a thread like this at least pick an example that is actually a violation :facepalm

Let me help him out:

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/IdenticalVagueGrassspider-size_restricted.gif

With a shooter the level and quickness of Steph that pause with both hands on the ball is impossible not to respect. It’s pretty much a double dribble pump fake the way you have to respect his ability to get it off in an instant.

fsvr54
04-08-2021, 12:41 PM
I dislike that basically everyone carries now and it's never called.

StrongLurk
04-08-2021, 01:39 PM
Kyrie had a move last night where he legit had a combo of traveling/carrying/double dribbling.

At a minimum is was an egregious carry/travel with a potential double dribble in there.

...and he got away with it.

tontoz
04-08-2021, 02:30 PM
Let me help him out:

With a shooter the level and quickness of Steph that pause with both hands on the ball is impossible not to respect. It’s pretty much a double dribble pump fake the way you have to respect his ability to get it off in an instant.

Yeah that is a violation. He was probably trying to fake like he was going to pull up and touched the ball with his left hand by mistake.

That would be really hard for a ref to pick up in real time though.

The thing that bugs me the most about the game today is how an offensive player can blatantly jump into a defender and get to the foul line.

Gudo
04-08-2021, 03:23 PM
Let me help him out:

This is constantly being done today and hardly called.

BlackMamba8
04-08-2021, 04:39 PM
Bro if Traveling was called more often LeBUM would average 10 points a game.....

welfarefan
04-08-2021, 04:44 PM
i'm like you OP I just want everything to go back to the way it was when we were kids and everything seemed cool! :banana:

Marchesk
04-08-2021, 04:46 PM

So the game was dull and boring to fans "a long time ago"? I get that the league likes marketing offense and flashy moves, but there needs to be some balance. It's swung too far in the offense's favor. Good defense is fun to watch too. Don't penalize the defenders.

Marchesk
04-08-2021, 04:47 PM
The refs nowadays are superior than the refs of previous eras.

PEDs, better nutrition and training, more money, just the evolution of refereeing. Have you looked at their metrics? Way better whistlers than those old car mechanics and milkmen.

Marchesk
04-08-2021, 04:49 PM
This is constantly being done today and hardly called.

That's true, but it does make it a lot harder on the defender. At least it's not as bad as the pump fake and jump into the defender to get a call. Or lower the shoulder and bulldoze to the basket.

mr4speed
04-08-2021, 08:26 PM
So the game was dull and boring to fans "a long time ago"? I get that the league likes marketing offense and flashy moves, but there needs to be some balance. It's swung too far in the offense's favor. Good defense is fun to watch too. Don't penalize the defenders.
I totally agree and do not watch as much as I used to because of the violations I see and I keep instinctively saying " how can they not call that" or " that was a blatant travel". I love seeing great defense, pressure on the ball, blind side double teams, and especially blocked shots! I guess I was not clear about how I prefer to see stricter officiating. One post on here mentioned, if they did call the violations, the players would adjust and clean up their own game. I guess I never thought of that - I wish it were that easy and it would get done. What I also dislike is the players that really can defend are not allowed to do it, because they see and experience how the player on offense has such an advantage.

FultzNationRISE
04-09-2021, 01:14 AM
Thats a really interesting play.

He loses control of his dribble, it unintentionally bounces off his butt and leg, after which he gathers the ball and takes two steps before shooting.

After reading thru all the relevant rules just now... it does not appear to violate anything. In spirit it feels like it should be a turnover, but a kick ball must by rule be intentional, and youre allowed two steps after beginning your gather to shoot.

Verdict: Not Guilty.

Gimmedarock
04-09-2021, 08:17 AM
Not a bad violation. I think rules have relaxed and you play by the current rules.

hiphopanonymous
04-09-2021, 08:38 AM
Straight from the current NBA rulebook let alone any other league:

https://official.nba.com/rule-no-10-violations-and-penalties/
The he clearly lost his dribble as none of this happened:
E. A player may dribble a second time if he lost control of the ball because of:
1. A field goal attempt at his basket, provided the ball touches the backboard or basket ring
2. An opponent touching the ball
3. A pass or fumble which touches his backboard, basket ring or is touched by another player.

The reason it should have been called traveling:
H. Upon ending his dribble or gaining control of the ball, a player may not touch the floor consecutively with the same foot (hop).
PENALTY: Loss of ball. Ball is awarded to the opposing team on the sideline nearest the spot of the violation but no nearer the baseline than the foul line extended.

^ This is why the play I posted in the OP is a turnover. Curry lost HIS OWN dribble and did a step-back and please watch it carefully - he pushed off his right foot after his right foot was the last foot planted after gathering the loose ball. That's a consecutive touch with the same foot. He treated his footwork gathering a loose ball as if it was a gather step completing a clean and deliberate dribble which gives him a competitive advantage considering it was actually his own sloppy mistake that lead to a loose ball not a controlled dribble. You can't finish your offensive footwork and resume doing a step back after you lose your own dribble then get it again. It doesn't reset your feet for a 1-2-shoot rhythm. Is this a nitpick? Sure in the grand scheme of things I guess it is considering all of this is ignored:

D. A player who is dribbling may not put any part of his hand under the ball and (1) carry it from one point to another or (2) bring it to a pause and then continue to dribble again.

https://nba.nbcsports.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/12/2014/02/465801751.jpg

Manny98
04-09-2021, 08:55 AM
Yes because players Totally didn't get away with that stuff back in the day

https://youtu.be/gj5pzgfsu1M

tontoz
04-09-2021, 09:22 AM

E. A player may dribble a second time if he lost control of the ball because of:
1. A field goal attempt at his basket, provided the ball touches the backboard or basket ring
3. A pass or fumble which touches his backboard, basket ring or is touched by another player.

H. Upon ending his dribble or gaining control of the ball, a player may not touch the floor consecutively with the same foot (hop).
PENALTY: Loss of ball. Ball is awarded to the opposing team on the sideline nearest the spot of the violation but no nearer the baseline than the foul line extended.

^ This is why the play I posted in the OP is a turnover. Curry lost HIS OWN dribble and did a step-back and please watch it carefully - he pushed off his right foot after his right foot was the last foot planted after gathering the loose ball. That's a consecutive touch with the same foot. He treated his footwork gathering a loose ball as if it was a gather step completing a clean and deliberate dribble which gives him a competitive advantage considering it was actually his own sloppy mistake that lead to a loose ball not a controlled dribble. You can't finish your offensive footwork and resume doing a step back after you lose your own dribble then get it again. It doesn't reset your feet for a 1-2-shoot rhythm. Is this a nitpick? Sure in the grand scheme of things I guess it is considering all of this is ignored:

D. A player who is dribbling may not put any part of his hand under the ball and (1) carry it from one point to another or (2) bring it to a pause and then continue to dribble again.

The ball never stopped bouncing until he picked it up for a shot. It just happened that the ball hit his backside instead of his hand. He could have continued to dribble and drive to the basket if he wanted to. He never lost his dribble. If you dribble off your leg you can continue dribbling.

If he attempted to pick up his dribble then fumbled it that is a different discussion.

Airupthere
04-09-2021, 10:13 AM
Lol, some are saying that the earlier generations (90s etc) have the same dribbling violations as today. But then in the same light say that 90s dribbling is unskilled and boring. Which one is it?

Fact is, there is more liberty to carry and travel in today's league than ever before. Sure there were violations before that were not caught, but today it is a regular occurrence and even taught to kids.

FultzNationRISE
04-09-2021, 02:44 PM

https://nba.nbcsports.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/12/2014/02/465801751.jpg

How he “treated it” to his advantage post facto, and what you want people to “consider” are irrelevant to the written rules.

The loss of control was not intentional, therefore he can proceed in whatever fashion the rules normally permit for a dribbling player who gathers for a shot. When he gains control his right foot is planted and he steps back with his left, brings the right back in accordance, and shoots. He doesnt take a consecutive step with the same foot (hopping). He gathers and takes one step with each foot.

It’s legal dude.

getting_old
04-09-2021, 03:45 PM
in high school in the 80s coaches tried teaching the 3-step drill

1) bounce the ball and plant your right leg

2) step with your left

3) stride and take off on your right foot

2 fulls strides after securing the ball

but NOBODY did this, until the Euro-Step gained ground

you always could have done this in a game....

Lebron23
04-09-2021, 04:52 PM
Yes because players Totally didn't get away with that stuff back in the day

https://youtu.be/gj5pzgfsu1M

Back in the 1990's Superstar gets away with it.