PDA

View Full Version : Who's the best player to never win a fmvp?

Bronbron23
04-04-2021, 01:40 PM
Pip? Steph? Harden? D-rob? Probably missing someone. Who you got?

Lebron23
04-04-2021, 01:47 PM

Julius Erving. He had a finals mvp in the ABL.

Bronbron23
04-04-2021, 01:54 PM

Yeah forgot about the doc

HBK_Kliq_2
04-04-2021, 01:57 PM
Steph Curry has this award on lockdown for life. Will there ever be a 2x mvp who is a big enough bitch to never win a finals mvp in 5 finals? I seriously doubt it.

999Guy
04-04-2021, 02:03 PM
Probably Robinson. Then any of Chris Paul, Steph Curry, or Harden.

Stephonit
04-04-2021, 02:07 PM
Bill Russell or Stephen Curry.

Dang arguably the two best players of all-time weren't given an FMVP. Can you imagine that? What a useless award.

HBK_Kliq_2
04-04-2021, 02:07 PM
Probably Robinson. Then any of Chris Paul, Steph Curry, or Harden.

At least a guy like Chris Paul can say he has never been to a finals or Harden can say he has one.

Curry has 5 finals and still nothing to show for it, that's what makes him the worst. Even though he may not be the best player of all the players you mentioned.

Stephonit
04-04-2021, 02:20 PM
At least a guy like Chris Paul can say he has never been to a finals or Harden can say he has one.

Curry has 5 finals and still nothing to show for it, that's what makes him the worst. Even though he may not be the best player of all the players you mentioned.

Such rationalizations show how crazy you guys are. I'm sure Curry with his three rings earned on the court wouldn't trade places with Paul just because of some tacked on award wasn't given to him.

HBK_Kliq_2
04-04-2021, 02:29 PM
Such rationalizations show how crazy you guys are. I'm sure Curry with his three rings earned on the court wouldn't trade places with Paul just because of some tacked on award wasn't given to him.

Displays how you're not a big game player, especially when any real pressure is on. You had your chance in game 7 of the 2016 finals and you shot 4/14 from the 3 point line, draymond green shot 6/8 from the 3 point line! You pretty much switch talents with draymond in game 7 finals Hahahaha

You can only win if Irving isn't playing or if Durant is next to ya.

Gohan
04-04-2021, 02:36 PM
Finals mvps continue to be overrated.... sigh:(

Bronbron23
04-04-2021, 02:42 PM
Bill Russell or Stephen Curry.

Dang arguably the two best players of all-time weren't given an FMVP. Can you imagine that? What a useless award.

Well curry isn't one of the two best players of all time but he's definitely a great player. As far as the award being useless that's a little drastic. Seems a little salty and personal on your part tbh.

And the only fmvp steph maybe deserved was 2015 and if you value defense at all iggy getting it wasn't all that crazy. He held one the goats to his most inefficient series ever. If bron just shoots 50% there's a good chance cle wins that series. So the question becomes was curries extra 10 points and offensive impact bigger than iggy's defense on bron and defensive impact.

Usually offense gets the nod but it's not as clear cut as steph stans like to think.

Stephonit
04-04-2021, 02:50 PM
Displays how you're not a big game player, especially when any real pressure is on. You had your chance in game 7 of the 2016 finals and you shot 4/14 from the 3 point line, draymond green shot 6/8 from the 3 point line! You pretty much switch talents with draymond in game 7 finals Hahahaha

You can only win if Irving isn't playing or if Durant is next to ya.

Strange. Didn't the Warriors win Game 1 of the 2015 Finals and Games 1, 2, and 4 of the 2016 Finals? Irving played in those games and Durant didn't.

Yes a big game player can play in elimination playoffs games and despite being double digits behind stave off elimination and find a way to win. Now didn't Curry do something like that in games 6 and 7 against the Thunder and games 6 and 7 against the Rockets? Why yes! Yes he did!

On the other hand I remember a certain favorite getting eliminated last year against the Nuggets and there wasn't even any explanation to point to like injuries or referee intervention that turned the tide at a pivotal moment. They just collapsed. Odd, do others even remember who that was? Or was it such an inconsequential team no one bothers to remember?

HBK_Kliq_2
04-04-2021, 03:10 PM
Strange. Didn't the Warriors win Game 1 of the 2015 Finals and Games 1, 2, and 4 of the 2016 Finals? Irving played in those games and Durant didn't.

Yes a big game player can play in elimination playoffs games and despite being double digits behind stave off elimination and find a way to win. Now didn't Curry do something like that in games 6 and 7 against the Thunder and games 6 and 7 against the Rockets? Why yes! Yes he did!

On the other hand I remember a certain favorite getting eliminated last year against the Nuggets and there wasn't even any explanation to point to like injuries or referee intervention that turned the tide at a pivotal moment. They just collapsed. Odd, do others even remember who that was? Or was it such an inconsequential team no one bothers to remember?

You lost 3 straight games to Irving in 2016, that tells me you would of ended up losing in 2015 as well if he played.

Being trapped in a prison bubble gives you a better excuse. Also choking in the 2nd round isn't nearly as bad as choking in the finals because the stakes are like 5x higher. 73 win team that chokes in the finals is bigger choke then a 2nd seed losing to a 3rd seed in the 2nd round, especially when you consider the prison bubble factor.

SouBeachTalents
04-04-2021, 03:26 PM
Jordan or LeBron

Stephonit
04-04-2021, 03:40 PM
You lost 3 straight games to Irving in 2016, that tells me you would of ended up losing in 2015 as well if he played.

Yes. Of course. Right after Green was suspended, Bogut got injured and Iguodala developed back spasms. That would have happened in 2015 too I'm sure.

Being trapped in a prison bubble gives you a better excuse. Also choking in the 2nd round isn't nearly as bad as choking in the finals because the stakes are like 5x higher. 73 win team that chokes in the finals is bigger choke then a 2nd seed losing to a 3rd seed in the 2nd round, especially when you consider the prison bubble factor.

Something only a loser who is afraid of the bright lights would say. You go as far as you can go. A winner accepts and embraces the possibility of choking in the finals because it is the finals and closer to the championship. It comes with the territory. People who would prefer to choke in earlier rounds because they are afraid of doing so in the finals find a way to choke in the early rounds. But I guess you should know this already because you have experience following such chokers.

mehyaM24
04-04-2021, 03:58 PM
And the only fmvp steph maybe deserved was 2015 and if you value defense at all iggy getting it wasn't all that crazy. He held one the goats to his most inefficient series ever. If bron just shoots 50% there's a good chance cle wins that series. So the question becomes was curries extra 10 points and offensive impact bigger than iggy's defense on bron and defensive impact.

Usually offense gets the nod but it's not as clear cut as steph stans like to think.

steph had better impact numbers & the highest on/off in that finals. of course he deserved it.

the only reason iguodala won fmvp is because of the few isolations he guarded lebron in - and to his credit he did a decent job. the main reason lebron wasn't as efficient though is because of the high volume. and that's to be expected with kyrie/love injured. but ya, bottom line, the voters screwed curry over.

Axe
04-04-2021, 04:55 PM
Finals mvps continue to be overrated.... sigh:(
Steph curry himself would confess that teens or kids choice awards from nickelodeon certainly has more value than any media-created awards the league can think of like finals mvp

https://media0.giphy.com/media/l41YrlA4PonlaURtC/source.gif

outofstomach
04-04-2021, 04:58 PM
stephonit and kliq arguing :lol

unstoppable force immovable object :lol

Stanley Kobrick
04-04-2021, 05:25 PM
stephen curry the best player to never win the fmvp, 5 times in a row :ohwell:

LoneyROY7
04-04-2021, 05:30 PM
stephonit and kliq arguing :lol

unstoppable force immovable object :lol

:oldlol: :oldlol:

L.Kizzle
04-04-2021, 06:05 PM
Steph is the obvious answer.
He legit has an argument for at least 2 Finals MVPs. 15 and 18.
Actually he should have won in 15 but that's another thread in itself.

Bronbron23
04-04-2021, 06:44 PM
steph had better impact numbers & the highest on/off in that finals. of course he deserved it.

the only reason iguodala won fmvp is because of the few isolations he guarded lebron in - and to his credit he did a decent job. the main reason lebron wasn't as efficient though is because of the high volume. and that's to be expected with kyrie/love injured. but ya, bottom line, the voters screwed curry over.

It wasn't that simple and i don't why you use on/off as much as you do especially when comparing players who often play the majority of time together. You do know that on/off numbers aren't always a great way to measure shit right?

And if you look at the 4 games they won the on off between iggy and steph were pretty close. They were basically tied in 3 of the games and in one stephs was a bit higher. Again i have no problem people saying steph should of got it but it was pretty close and iggy definitely deserved it also if you value defense at all.

mehyaM24
04-04-2021, 08:00 PM
It wasn't that simple and i don't why you use on/off as much as you do especially when comparing players who often play the majority of time together. You do know that on/off numbers aren't always a great way to measure shit right?

And if you look at the 4 games they won the on off between iggy and steph were pretty close. They were basically tied in 3 of the games and in one stephs was a bit higher. Again i have no problem people saying steph should of got it but it was pretty close and iggy definitely deserved it also if you value defense at all.

it was as simple as giving the best player on the floor - curry - his rightful fmvp. everything measurable says he was the best player in that series. on/off is just one stat i used, but it shows the warriors ACTUAL production with him on and off the floor. naturally gs is a lot better with him on it.

iguodala was never close to curry. it would be like comparing rodman's defense to jordan. rodman's defense was good but it NEVER carried the weight jordan's overall game did. even though curry isn't the defensive player jordan was, his offensive gravity was so great it just isn't close. and the objective measures all agree.

light
04-04-2021, 09:17 PM

The answer is Bill Russell.

Bronbron23
04-04-2021, 09:30 PM
it was as simple as giving the best player on the floor - curry - his rightful fmvp. everything measurable says he was the best player in that series. on/off is just one stat i used, but it shows the warriors ACTUAL production with him on and off the floor. naturally gs is a lot better with him on it.

iguodala was never close to curry. it would be like comparing rodman's defense to jordan. rodman's defense was good but it NEVER carried the weight jordan's overall game did. even though curry isn't the defensive player jordan was, his offensive gravity was so great it just isn't close. and the objective measures all agree.

Well the best player on the floor was bron. As far as mj and rod not sure that's a good comparison. Mj scored almost 30 pts more a game in the finals than Rodman that's almost 5 more points than steph scores a game come finals time. Let that shit sink in. Plus mj is no slouch defensively. He's first team defense himself. Curry on the other hand only scored 10 more points than iggy and the defensive disparity is way bigger than mj and rod.

As far as iggy never being close he actually was. Even using your favorite on off measurement. In the 6 games played curry lead in on and off over iggy only twice. Iggy lead 3 times. They tied once. In the whole series curry only lead the team in on and off once so i'm really not sure what your talking about. Your just talking shit dude.

mehyaM24
04-04-2021, 09:51 PM
Well the best player on the floor was bron. As far as mj and rod not sure that's a good comparison. Mj scored almost 30 pts more a game in the finals than Rodman that's almost 5 more points than steph scores a game come finals time. Let that shit sink in. Plus mj is no slouch defensively. He's first team defense himself. Curry on the other hand only scored 10 more points than iggy and the defensive disparity is way bigger than mj and rod.

you could argue either he or lebron. both their advanced numbers are similar, but curry had better offensive impact. you could say lebron had limited help and i wouldn't argue. still, curry did his thing and had better metrics offensively. they weren't giving the loser a fmvp so the next best choice would have been curry, who, again, clearly had the most impact on the warriors (best bpm/ortg/on-off).

this isn't debatable. he was robbed. period.

i already mentioned jordan's defense btw. don't know why you are repeating what i just said.

As far as iggy never being close he actually was. Even using your favorite on off measurement. In the 6 games played curry lead in on and off over iggy only twice. Iggy lead 3 times. They tied once. In the whole series curry only lead the team in on and off once so i'm really not sure what your talking about. Your just talking shit dude.

wrong. curry averaged a better net rating and on/off. splitting games like you did is bad faith and not what an "average" is. learn the difference pal.

kawhileonard2
04-04-2021, 09:53 PM
Bill Russell, Karl Malone, Patrick Ewing

Mr.GOAT2408
04-04-2021, 10:00 PM
Technically Bill Russell but he'd have won like 7 of them had it been around for his entire career

Since the award has been given though.... Erving if you ignore ABA, if you don't then Barkley, Malone, Robinson, Garnett, Curry have a case

Bronbron23
04-04-2021, 10:06 PM
you could argue either he or lebron. both their advanced numbers are similar, but curry had better offensive impact. you could say lebron had limited help and i wouldn't argue. still, curry did his thing and had better metrics offensively. they weren't giving the loser a fmvp so the next best choice would have been curry, who, again, clearly had the most impact on the warriors (best bpm/ortg/on-off).

this isn't debatable. he was robbed. period.

i already mentioned jordan's defense btw. don't know why you are repeating what i just said.

wrong. curry averaged a better net rating and on/off. splitting games like you did is bad faith and not what an "average" is. learn the difference pal.

Yeah i coukd use averages or i could watch games and look at who really was the best player on the floor more often than not.

Btw this in as steph completes his 10th turnover. This hawks game is a perfect example of stephs one dimensional impact and how he actually hurts his team in other areas like defense and turnovers at times. Typical curry finals impact.

Stephonit
04-04-2021, 10:08 PM
Technically Bill Russell but he'd have won like 7 of them had it been around for his entire career

Are you really sure about that? FMVP voters love giving the award to high scorers. Russell was the highest scorer on his team for only one or two of his championships. There is reason to doubt he'd come anywhere close to winning 7 of them. After all he wasn't even given one the one time they had the opportunity to do so despite him having won 10 rings previously.

The award has always been a joke. Naming it after Bill Russell merely enshrined the hilarious preposterousness of it. Russell's not the kind of player the awards favors. They really should have named it the Michael Jordan award because that's the kind of player that it is given to.

Bronbron23
04-04-2021, 10:13 PM
Are you really sure about that? FMVP voters love giving the award to high scorers. Russell was the highest scorer on his team for only one or two of his championships. There is reason to doubt he'd come anywhere close to winning 7 of them. After all he wasn't even given one the one time they had the opportunity to do so despite him having won 10 rings previously.

The award has always been a joke. Naming it after Bill Russell merely enshrined the hilarity preposterousness of it. He's not the kind of player the awards favors.

What's a joke is you saying it's a joke. It's literally been spot on over 90% of the time which is more than i can say for the mvp which curry has 2 of.

Stephonit
04-04-2021, 10:17 PM
What's a joke is you saying it's a joke. It's literally been spot on over 90% of the time which is more than i can say for the mvp which curry has 2 of.

For their first award they had the choice to give it to a ten time champion or they could give it to a high scorer. They decided to give it to the high scorer—whose team proceeded to lose. It's been a joke ever since. And that's not even close to the biggest embarrassment associated with the award.

RRR3
04-04-2021, 10:20 PM
For their first award they had the choice to give it to a ten time champion or they could give it to a high scorer. They decided to give it to the high scorer—whose team proceeded to lose. It's been a joke ever since. And that's not even close to the biggest embarrassment associated with the award.
Steph comes up SMALL when the going gets tough.

:(

Stephonit
04-04-2021, 10:21 PM
Steph comes up SMALL when the going gets tough.

:(

Too bad all the other stars of his era come up even smaller.

mehyaM24
04-04-2021, 10:25 PM
Yeah i coukd use averages or i could watch games and look at who really was the best player on the floor more often than not.

ya and if you watched the games you would know curry was a better ****ing player. the numbers are simply a byproduct of that.

Btw this in as steph completes his 10th turnover. This hawks game is a perfect example of stephs one dimensional impact and how he actually hurts his team in other areas like defense and turnovers at times. Typical curry finals impact.

sounds like magic johnson - one of the greatest players ever. great argument though, moron.

RRR3
04-04-2021, 10:33 PM
Too bad all the other stars of his era come up even smaller.
:yaohappy:

Dude is helpless without Papa KD or Papa Klay as we’ve seen this year.

Bronbron23
04-04-2021, 10:36 PM
ya and if you watched the games you would know curry was a better ****ing player. the numbers are simply a byproduct of that.

sounds like magic johnson - one of the greatest players ever. great argument though, moron.

Magic? Bruh wtf u smoking? Magic pretty much gets double the amount 9f assists while getting around the same amount of turnovers. He also almost doubles steph in rebounds.

As far as defense neither is amazing but at least magic was big and long and could effect shots. Steph is absolute trash defensively. Steph doesn't impact the game anywhere near the way magic did.

Your bitch ass needs to go back and watch magic in the finals in his rookie year when kareem went down and magic was playing and gaurding all 5 positions. This dumb flicking fakkit:facepalm

mehyaM24
04-04-2021, 10:46 PM
Magic? Bruh wtf u smoking? Magic pretty much gets double the amount 9f assists while getting around the same amount of turnovers. He also almost doubles steph in rebounds.

As far as defense neither is amazing but at least magic was big and long and could effect shots. Steph is absolute trash defensively. Steph doesn't impact the game anywhere near the way magic did.

Your bitch ass needs to go back and watch magic in the finals in his rookie year when kareem went down and magic was playing and gaurding all 5 positions. This dumb flicking fakkit:facepalm

like magic, numbers show steph is one of highest offensive impact players ever. and what you just described sounds EXACTLY like magic. all-time on one end, not so great on the other.

not surprised that flew over your head though. your posts read like rocks trying to communicate.

Bronbron23
04-04-2021, 10:58 PM
like magic, numbers show steph is one of highest offensive impact players ever. and what you just described sounds EXACTLY like magic. all-time on one end, not so great on the other.

not surprised that flew over your head though. your posts read like rocks trying to communicate.

Nope just said curry was one dimensional. I meant that in every aspect. Magic was hardly one dimensional.

mehyaM24
04-04-2021, 11:19 PM
Nope just said curry was one dimensional. I meant that in every aspect. Magic was hardly one dimensional.

stop backpedaling. you said curry hurts his team in defense and "at times" with turnovers. again, that's magic to a T.

dankok8
04-04-2021, 11:25 PM
I think Steph. To be perfectly honest he could have won two FMVP's in 2015 and 2018 and nobody would bat an eye.

Russell doesn't count because while he technically didn't one, had the award existed he would have won the most ever.

k0kakw0rld
04-04-2021, 11:53 PM
Jason Kidd

Bronbron23
04-05-2021, 12:14 AM
stop backpedaling. you said curry hurts his team in defense and "at times" with turnovers. again, that's magic to a T.

Yeah he does. Both can be true. He's a one dimensional player who hurts his team defensively and with turnovers at times. While magic didn't help defensively he didn't hurt them either. As far as turnovers he had 3:1 ratio which is pretty damn good so not sure what you mean there.

It's pretty simple dude. In general small point guards who can't defend don't dominate and impact the game like bigger players do. Tell me all about the countless 6'5 players and under who have dominated this game. You can't because they don't. There's a reason almost every fmvp is 6'5 and above. There's a reason why teams still to this day look for bigger taller prospects to draft. There's a reason why steph's teammates and front office gave up on him after 16 and went and hot 6'11 kd.

Small one dimensional point gaurds don't dominate. Deal with it.

warriorfan
04-05-2021, 12:50 AM
Yeah he does. Both can be true. He's a one dimensional player who hurts his team defensively and with turnovers at times. While magic didn't help defensively he didn't hurt them either. As far as turnovers he had 3:1 ratio which is pretty damn good so not sure what you mean there.

It's pretty simple dude. In general small point guards who can't defend don't dominate and impact the game like bigger players do. Tell me all about the countless 6'5 players and under who have dominated this game. You can't because they don't. There's a reason almost every fmvp is 6'5 and above. There's a reason why teams still to this day look for bigger taller prospects to draft. There's a reason why steph's teammates and front office gave up on him after 16 and went and hot 6'11 kd.

https://i.postimg.cc/y6jT3DML/2-EEA0-E41-5826-4-D4-D-AAF2-DE4-DC4-C458-A4.jpg

Deal with it.

Bronbron23
04-05-2021, 01:10 AM
https://i.postimg.cc/y6jT3DML/2-EEA0-E41-5826-4-D4-D-AAF2-DE4-DC4-C458-A4.jpg

Deal with it.

Nice numbers. How many fmvps does curry have again? Funny thing he's barely on people's list for best player not win a fmvp let alone best player to win one.

Man it must be tough being a stan to a player who clearly dosnt compare to the other greats. It's ok buddy there's always room on team lebron or mj when you finally come to your senses.

warriorfan
04-05-2021, 01:12 AM
Nice numbers. How many fmvps does curry have again? Funny thing he's barely on people's list for best player not win a fmvp let alone best player to win one.

Man it must be tough being a stan to a player who clearly dosnt compare to the other greats. It's ok buddy there's always room on team lebron or mj when you finally come to your senses.

:roll:

Bronbron23iq with another meltdown. Keep it up little guy. It’s hilarious. :cheers:

mehyaM24
04-05-2021, 01:16 AM

magic averaged 4 turnovers in his prime and was hidden on defense a lot. if that doesn't hurt a team then nothing does.

offensively, curry's impact compares well to anyone. another post where you have no clue what you're talking about.

Bronbron23
04-05-2021, 01:21 AM
magic averaged 4 turnovers in his prime and was hidden on defense a lot. if that doesn't hurt a team then nothing does.

offensively, curry's impact compares well to anyone. another post where you have no clue what you're talking about.

Averaged 4 turn overs but had like 12 assists. Do you know how good that is dumbass?

And yes offensively steph compares well to anyone not named mj who averages significantly more points in the post season and just in general.

mehyaM24
04-05-2021, 01:36 AM
Averaged 4 turn overs but had like 12 assists. Do you know how good that is dumbass?

And yes offensively steph compares well to anyone not named mj who averages significantly more points in the post season and just in general.

you're confused again. you claimed curry's occasional turnovers and bad defense were a negative. well, the same goes for magic. his assists are irrelevant just like curry's better scoring is.

Stephonit
04-05-2021, 03:17 AM

Can you explain again why FMVPs are supposed to be a thing? How does someone get one? From what I recall a group of eleven or so so-called basketball "journalists" get together to select one. You know such esteemed basketball minds like Rachel Nichols and that lady from Baidu. Well they get together and voila you have an FMVP! Is that supposed to matter? An opinion poll among a handful of media personalities the majority of whom are selected by the broadcast network paying billions for the rights to the NBA? Why would that have more value than a poll on InsideHoops which has more participants? I don't see any reason unless you are a mindless buffoon that bows down to whatever your corporate overlords tell you.

It's very easy to be a fan of Stephen Curry. He plays a modern style of free-flowing beautiful basketball and is the epitome of skill in the sport. If he doesn't compare to other greats it's because to my eyes he exceeds them and is original. What I don't get is how anyone can be a fan of the bland media manufactured stars like LeBron whose "greatness" is being shoved down our throats despite it falling short every which way or even MJ, great as he was, who at this point is as much of a tired shoe icon as a basketball icon representing an increasingly irrelevant fading 90s. Really at this point a revival of Mikan and 50s basketball would be more interesting. But hey you know that actually requires an appreciation for history and not just whatever media is force feeding you to get you to buy overpriced shoes.

pandiani17
04-05-2021, 07:39 AM

Thread./

PS. Wasn't his MVP in the ABA finals?

HoopsNY
04-05-2021, 11:55 AM
BronBron and mehya, I think you're both highly intelligent and great posters. I think you two can discuss things a bit more maturely than what we normally see on this forum. You both give great input. Stop insulting each other.

mehyaM24
04-05-2021, 12:47 PM
BronBron and mehya, I think you're both highly intelligent and great posters. I think you two can discuss things a bit more maturely than what we normally see on this forum. You both give great input. Stop insulting each other.

i post for fun and try not to take things seriously. problem with some posters, like that guy, is the inability to admit their hypocrisy. i have no problem calling out awful and bad faith arguments though.

Bronbron23
04-05-2021, 02:15 PM
i post for fun and try not to take things seriously. problem with some posters, like that guy, is the inability to admit their hypocrisy. i have no problem calling out awful and bad faith arguments though.

Dude i could say the same thing about you and i'm pretty sure you started the name calling tbh. I usually try not to unless someone starts with it first. Either way it's all good. Like you say most of this is fun with some shit talk. We don't agree and by the looks of it we're not going to.

Bronbron23
04-05-2021, 02:31 PM
Can you explain again why FMVPs are supposed to be a thing? How does someone get one? From what I recall a group of eleven or so so-called basketball "journalists" get together to select one. You know such esteemed basketball minds like Rachel Nichols and that lady from Baidu. Well they get together and voila you have an FMVP! Is that supposed to matter? An opinion poll among a handful of media personalities the majority of whom are selected by the broadcast network paying billions for the rights to the NBA? Why would that have more value than a poll on InsideHoops which has more participants? I don't see any reason unless you are a mindless buffoon that bows down to whatever your corporate overlords tell you.

It's very easy to be a fan of Stephen Curry. He plays a modern style of free-flowing beautiful basketball and is the epitome of skill in the sport. If he doesn't compare to other greats it's because to my eyes he exceeds them and is original. What I don't get is how anyone can be a fan of the bland media manufactured stars like LeBron whose "greatness" is being shoved down our throats despite it falling short every which way or even MJ, great as he was, who at this point is as much of a tired shoe icon as a basketball icon representing an increasingly irrelevant fading 90s. Really at this point a revival of Mikan and 50s basketball would be more interesting. But hey you know that actually requires an appreciation for history and not just whatever media is force feeding you to get you to buy overpriced shoes.

Finals mvp matters because it often represents the best player on the biggest stage. Everything matters more. Every shot has way more pressure behind it. I get a few times the fmvp wasn't a reflection of the best player on the floor but all in all it's pretty accurate. Just look at the last 40 winners.

As far as steph goes he's obviously a great player. He's also one of the more exciting players to watch. The nba is definitely better when steph and the warriors are in the mix. That said i think his fans over value him. He dosn't impact the game like other greats do. Almost every other great is elite in more than one area. Mj scoring and defense. Bron scoring, assists and defense, magic scoring and assists, shaq scoring and rebounds, kobe scoring and defense, kd scoring and recently defense, hakeem scoring, rebounds and defense, kareem scoring rebounds and defense. You get the point. Steph unlike these greats offers one thing and that's scoring. When he's not dominanting in that and in finals he rarely does, what does he offer? If anything when he's not scoring not only is he not helping he's usually hurting with either poor defense or cateless turnovers.

This is facts and everyone who isn't a stan knows it.

warriorfan
04-05-2021, 03:31 PM
Finals mvp matters because it often represents the best player on the biggest stage. Everything matters more. Every shot has way more pressure behind it. I get a few times the fmvp wasn't a reflection of the best player on the floor but all in all it's pretty accurate. Just look at the last 40 winners.

As far as steph goes he's obviously a great player. He's also one of the more exciting players to watch. The nba is definitely better when steph and the warriors are in the mix. That said i think his fans over value him. He dosn't impact the game like other greats do. Almost every other great is elite in more than one area. Mj scoring and defense. Bron scoring, assists and defense, magic scoring and assists, shaq scoring and rebounds, kobe scoring and defense, kd scoring and recently defense, hakeem scoring, rebounds and defense, kareem scoring rebounds and defense. You get the point. Steph unlike these greats offers one thing and that's scoring. When he's not dominanting in that and in finals he rarely does, what does he offer? If anything when he's not scoring not only is he not helping he's usually hurting with either poor defense or cateless turnovers.

Steph Curry is the only player to get double teamed at a high rate from 30 feet away from the basket. Dame does too at times but not as much and he can’t escape them nearly as well as Curry. If you actually watched and comprehended any of the Warriors finals you would realize this. Curry gets blitzed with a trap and he passes out of it to Dray in the high post, now there is a 3 on 4 disadvantage for the defense, one player is wide open, from that point it’s not difficult for Draynond to simply find the guy who isn’t covered, and get an easy dime to a wide open player. Do you remember all the times where Kevin Durant took wide open shots or literally laid it up with no one around him? All the times Iguodala or Barnes had jumpers with no one within 15 feet of them? The catalyst of all that is Steph Curry. He has the best combination of on ball and off ball scoring and spacing. That is why his offensive advanced stats are so amazing when he doesn’t have a lot of assists. He creates opportunities when he doesn’t even have the ball in his hands due to the gravity he commands. Shaq used to bring everyone into the paint and create opportunities for his teammates, Curry brings everyone 25+ feet out that leads to easy looks for everyone else.

Stephonit
04-05-2021, 07:00 PM

That's what the award is supposed to represent but it's ultimately a representation not the ultimate thing itself. The finals represents the biggest stage where everything matters most—except it didn't for some of the Warriors runs. Was it the biggest stage in 2018 when the Warriors swept the Cavaliers in an anti-climactic showdown? No. The Western Conference Finals that year was a far more important stage. What is important and is not just a representation is the performance and results on the court. Awards try to interpret it but they are open to question when they keep ignoring the constant that keeps showing up. That's why Curry's repeated appearances in the finals is just as much an issue for the award as it is for Curry not receiving the award. Clearly Curry's doing his bit. The question will naturally arise if the award is doing its own job properly.

Scoring and defense. Scoring and defense you say. But Curry led a team to 73 wins and these other guys didn't. Curry had the statistically greatest season ever and he did not copy anyone else's way of playing to accomplish it. Curry showed it was possible to do it his way. The result is what matters. There is no absolute requirement that you must score and defend to win. All that really matters is that you win. People that disagree are defending a theory and orthodoxy not the fact of the matter. For time immemorial combat fighters wore heavy armor. Then all of a sudden guns and cannons were invented and all the prior conventional wisdom was abandoned or one likely ended up dead.

Curry is a known revolutionary. The reactionary forces that cling to the prior order made their stand against him in these representational awards when they interpret as you do. But anyone who knows anything knows it is what happens on the field that is real not the interpretations of them. If the interpretations don't make sense they will be replaced with better. The assertion that Curry is not a top player is ridiculous and incongruous next to the accomplishments he has achieved. How can he only be a top 20 player when he has done multiple things and has claim to multiple records the best player (take your pick) or any other player for that matter has not? How can he not be a better player than his peers when he has a winning record against them? The disparity with what is said by his detractors and with what is is too dramatic to be ignored. Eventuality reality will catch up and something along the lines of the league naming the FMVP award after Russell because he never won it will need to be done to address the gaping embarrassment that will arise.

FKAri
04-05-2021, 07:09 PM
BronBron isn't high on Curry from what I've seen. Stephonit on the other hand thinks he's the GOAT. I'm somewhere in the middle.

Steph Curry is the only player to get double teamed at a high rate from 30 feet away from the basket. Dame does too at times but not as much and he can’t escape them nearly as well as Curry. If you actually watched and comprehended any of the Warriors finals you would realize this. Curry gets blitzed with a trap and he passes out of it to Dray in the high post, now there is a 3 on 4 disadvantage for the defense, one player is wide open, from that point it’s not difficult for Draynond to simply find the guy who isn’t covered, and get an easy dime to a wide open player. Do you remember all the times where Kevin Durant took wide open shots or literally laid it up with no one around him? All the times Iguodala or Barnes had jumpers with no one within 15 feet of them? The catalyst of all that is Steph Curry. He has the best combination of on ball and off ball scoring and spacing. That is why his offensive advanced stats are so amazing when he doesn’t have a lot of assists. He creates opportunities when he doesn’t even have the ball in his hands due to the gravity he commands. Shaq used to bring everyone into the paint and create opportunities for his teammates, Curry brings everyone 25+ feet out that leads to easy looks for everyone else.

Steph can't be guarded like Dame or Kyrie for reasons that have to do with team makeup. They aren't as far off from Steph in terms of scoring ability as one would otherwise think. Steph is also a MUCH better decision maker. He really knows how to use the players around him not only for his scoring but getting more out of them too.

Bronbron23
04-05-2021, 07:28 PM

Nah dude i watch a shit ton of warrior games.

And steph isn't the only player getting doubled team now or in the past.

And I've watched all his finals and the cavs actually rarely doubled steph. One of the reasons cavs could defend the warriors so good was because they could switch everything. That's how you beat them. Warriors use a shit ton of screens to either get open looks or to get steph switched to an easier defender. Most teams either try to fight through the screen or they'll double the ball or the screener which always leaves someone open. When the cavs switched everything warriors weren't getting those open looks. That's why amost of the games were so low scoring.

See That's the thing with curry and double teams. They don't double him because he's unstoppable they usually double him once the screen comes because that's the best option off tbe screen. Your options in that situation is fight through the screen which will lead to an open three. Switch on the screen which often leaves a slow big on steph to abuse. The third option is double the ball (steph) and make him give it up and force someone else to take the shot. If warriors didn't set so many screens to try to get cury a mismatch they would just allow their best defender check him straight up.

Again this is why the warriors struggled against the cavs. There defense was good enough to switch everything without there being a mismatch. Rockets in 18 were another team that did this and gave the warriors problems even with kd. This takes away warriors advantage because they cant get good looks off screens and they don't get a mismatch on the switch.

Your so blinded by your love for curry you don't see these things. You just make up stories in your head like he's being doubled to help you deal with the reality that curry can't dominate on the biggest stage.

Bronbron23
04-05-2021, 07:40 PM

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QfH6Fa8iteo

This is how the cavs gaurded steph more often than not. Sure they would throw a double team on him from time to time to switch it up but the for the most part the constant double teaming is in steph fans heads.

This year steph gets doubled more because he doesn't have the cast around him like he did but throughout his career in the better teams didn't double steph very much.

warriorfan
04-05-2021, 08:30 PM
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QfH6Fa8iteo

This is how the cavs gaurded steph more often than not. Sure they would throw a double team on him from time to time to switch it up but the for the most part the constant double teaming is in steph fans heads.

This year steph gets doubled more because he doesn't have the cast around him like he did but throughout his career in the better teams didn't double steph very much.

https://mobile.twitter.com/DrewShiller/status/1034536978610442240

Also, if you go back and re-watch those Finals games you will see that Cleveland repeatedly trapped and blitzed and double-teamed Curry, which opened up wide-open shots for his teammates.

Steph Curry is 100 percent underrated. What he does to defenses and the way he can dominate a possession that he never touches the basketball with his movement and with the attention

https://cdn-vox--cdn-com.cdn.ampproject.org/i/s/cdn.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/BXNrBmfVQ_C6drrLLSecoR2Eo9A=/1400x0/filters:no_upscale()/cdn.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_asset/file/8679769/curry_beats_trap.gif

https://cdn-vox--cdn-com.cdn.ampproject.org/i/s/cdn.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/b046uBsnRmE2bWdn_mU1pcbXQN4=/1400x0/filters:no_upscale()/cdn.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_asset/file/8679825/steph_baseline.gif

https://cdn-vox--cdn-com.cdn.ampproject.org/i/s/cdn.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/ybuMuEEIgiCqaF33wSKB1Wil9zM=/1400x0/filters:no_upscale()/cdn.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_asset/file/8679837/kd_short_roll.gif

Curry and KD can exploit the trap.
The Cavaliers chose to mostly trap the play last night, which gives them an element of control. A properly executed trap allows the Cavaliers to pick the option they want to leave open.

https://cdn3.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/4bYYPLGiZavZr6odQMT2_61HGAc=/cdn0.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_asset/file/3783750/warriorsball.0.gif

http://static5.businessinsider.com/image/55785bd86da811a06574389c/draymond%20miss%201.gif

2015 Finals
Klay Game PPG: 15.8 (50.9% TS) (Allen Iverson level of efficiency)

Curry 4th Quarter ONLY PPG: 10.8 (75.1% TS)

Most 4th Quarter Points during the Finals

1995 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5
2000 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5 (61.1% TS)
2015 Stephen Curry 10.8 (75.1% TS)
1997 Michael Jordan 10.7 (55.1% TS)
1998 Michael Jordan 10.6 (50.6% TS)
2011 Dirk Nowitzki 10.3 (68.0% TS)
1993 Michael Jordan 10.3

warriorfan
04-05-2021, 08:34 PM
http://static1.businessinsider.com/image/557856666bb3f7950ef731a9/stephen%20curry%203.gif

They did it with a wizard, Stephen Curry, at point guard. Curry nailed three key threes in Golden State’s 105-97 Game 6 victory in Cleveland Tuesday night, because that’s what he does. In the clincher, however, the regular-season MVP’s passing stood out. He patiently let the Cavs double-team him far from the basket – what choice did the Cavs have against a guy who can sink shots from Cincinnati? – and hit cutters down the lane. Or flipped one-handed passes down low. Or skipped the ball cross-court, or into the corner, to open three-point shooters. Curry had eight assists. Golden State finished with 13 three-pointers.

Bronbron23
04-05-2021, 09:10 PM
https://mobile.twitter.com/DrewShiller/status/1034536978610442240

https://cdn-vox--cdn-com.cdn.ampproject.org/i/s/cdn.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/BXNrBmfVQ_C6drrLLSecoR2Eo9A=/1400x0/filters:no_upscale()/cdn.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_asset/file/8679769/curry_beats_trap.gif

https://cdn-vox--cdn-com.cdn.ampproject.org/i/s/cdn.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/b046uBsnRmE2bWdn_mU1pcbXQN4=/1400x0/filters:no_upscale()/cdn.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_asset/file/8679825/steph_baseline.gif

https://cdn-vox--cdn-com.cdn.ampproject.org/i/s/cdn.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/ybuMuEEIgiCqaF33wSKB1Wil9zM=/1400x0/filters:no_upscale()/cdn.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_asset/file/8679837/kd_short_roll.gif

https://cdn3.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/4bYYPLGiZavZr6odQMT2_61HGAc=/cdn0.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_asset/file/3783750/warriorsball.0.gif

http://static5.businessinsider.com/image/55785bd86da811a06574389c/draymond%20miss%201.gif

2015 Finals
Klay Game PPG: 15.8 (50.9% TS) (Allen Iverson level of efficiency)

Curry 4th Quarter ONLY PPG: 10.8 (75.1% TS)

Most 4th Quarter Points during the Finals

1995 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5
2000 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5 (61.1% TS)
2015 Stephen Curry 10.8 (75.1% TS)
1997 Michael Jordan 10.7 (55.1% TS)
1998 Michael Jordan 10.6 (50.6% TS)
2011 Dirk Nowitzki 10.3 (68.0% TS)
1993 Michael Jordan 10.3

As i said they periodically would throw doubles but for the most part during that series they switched. Just go back and watch the full games dude. It's as clear as day. And even when teams do double steph it's not because he's an insane iso scorer against decent or good defenders like mj or kobe. He gets thousands of screens to get a look or a favorable swith.

Rockets in 2018 did the same.

Manny98
04-05-2021, 10:11 PM
Yh Curry did deserve FMVP in 2015 and was sensational in 2017 as well

David Robinson
Curry
CP3

All atg players with 0 FMVP to their name

Axe
04-05-2021, 10:16 PM
Cp3 has been to the finals before?

kkb_12