PDA

View Full Version : Three peats (not for the mortals) Ownage thread

2much_knowledge
04-03-2021, 02:11 AM
MJ and Shaq are the only 2 players in history with three peats in the modern era (george mikan is the other) as team captains

With only ONE freaking allstar teammate. Just ONE.
Every championship team has good role players and starters so thats that

It baffles me that other superstars with multiple allstar teammates simple can't do this and barely go back to back. Theres no reason not to with all that help

Hasn't been done in 19 years and only one player did it twice.... MIKE drop

MrFonzworth
04-03-2021, 03:54 AM
Epic ownage bro

DoctorP
04-03-2021, 03:58 AM
Goat gonna goat.
MDE was the MDE

Kiddlovesnets
04-03-2021, 11:54 AM
3-Peat is another necessary condition for GOAT, just like 100% finals winning percentage.

mehyaM24
04-03-2021, 12:17 PM
except for putting him on the freethrow line, shaq was unstoppable. don't know if there was ever more in-game carnage from another star. teams would send 3 sometimes 4 guys at peak shaq, and surround him like they were trying to takedown big foot.

3ball
04-03-2021, 01:49 PM
The problem with Shaq is that he was easily beatable when he had great help - he was swept twice with Penny (95', 96') and then gentleman sweep with Kobe (04') or 3 all-star teammates (98').

He even lost with peak Wade in 05'

Otoh, it's safe to assume that MJ would win with Penny from 94-96', and then win with 3 all-star teammates in 98'... And then win with Kobe and Wade for the entire 2000's

Ultimately, people don't realize that MJ's help was nowhere near his peers and he had 6 rings that were greater carry-jobs than 11' Dirk.. this is statistical fact

DABIGSALSISHA
04-03-2021, 04:11 PM
Otoh, it's safe to assume that MJ would win with Penny from 94-96', and then win with 3 all-star teammates in 98'... And then win with Kobe and Wade for the entire 2000's

No, Jordan would not win against houston with Penny. just by the fact that the WEAK link on that team ALWAYS WAS NICK ANDERSON. He was the main reason why the Magic had no chance in the finals vs Houston. A guy that misses several free throws and easy jump shots that could seal the deal, instead they go to overtime and lose. Jordan was also coming back from baseball and he wasn't ready to win yet. It wouldn't work imo. Shaq was great for the Magic, but Olajuwon was a better center than he was back then too, Penny with jordan would've lost to Rockets as they were loaded in every position and wouldn't miss shots in that finals. Nick anderson was just as bad as John Starks was for the Knicks when it mattered, kept missing all types of easy shots and Knicks lost, I twas never Ewing's fault really.

Hey Yo
04-03-2021, 04:22 PM
MJ and Shaq are the only 2 players in history with three peats in the modern era (george mikan is the other) as team captains

It baffles me that other superstars with multiple allstar teammates simple can't do this and barely go back to back. Theres no reason not to with all that help

But needed 20+ months of load management rest in between 3 peats in order for it to happen.

3ball
04-03-2021, 04:24 PM
Knicks lost, I twas never Ewing's fault really

^^^ that's true, but we know Ewing couldn't win with Pippen because he couldn't win with sidekicks that out-produced Pippen 3 times:

1992 ECSF

X-man..... 19 on 50%
Pippen.... 16 on 40%

1989 ECSF

M Jackson.... 15/3/11
Pippen........... 15/7/5

1996 ECSF

Pippen....... 15 on 33%
Oakley..... 13/11 on 50%

mehyaM24
04-03-2021, 04:34 PM
The problem with Shaq is that he was easily beatable when he had great help - he was swept twice with Penny (95', 96') and then gentleman sweep with Kobe (04') or 3 all-star teammates (98').

in 96 he played the alleged "goat" team. also checkout how shaq's teammates performed in the 98 playoffs.

peak shaq was a different beast though. similar impact numbers to peak jordan, and arguably as good/better of a finals performer.

2000-2002 NBA Finals
38/17/2 on 61% field goal shooting
33/16/5 on 58% field goal shooting
36/12/4 on 60% field goal shooting

with defense i think you can argue 00-02 shaq was certified MDE.

DABIGSALSISHA
04-03-2021, 04:49 PM
But needed 20+ months of load management rest in between 3 peats in order for it to happen.

You say needed like that was planned for to happen. His father passing, baseball and he was able to comeback and three peat, it's incredible if you ask me. Another reason why Michael Jeffrey Jordan is the GOAT for me. He was BY FAR, the best I ever saw. Nothing of that was planned or needed it just happened naturally with hard work, Goat Genes and the killer instinct that man had.

Hey Yo
04-03-2021, 04:53 PM
You say needed like that was planned for to happen. His father passing, baseball and he was able to comeback and three peat, it's incredible if you ask me. Another reason why Michael Jeffrey Jordan is the GOAT for me. He was BY FAR, the best I ever saw. Nothing of that was planned or needed it just happened naturally with hard work, Goat Genes and the killer instinct that man had.

He was already talking retirement with his dad before the 93' season was over. He cited mental and physical exhaustion in his documentary for the reasoning to quit.

DABIGSALSISHA
04-03-2021, 04:57 PM
^^^ that's true, but we know Ewing couldn't win with Pippen because he couldn't win with sidekicks that out-produced Pippen 3 times:

1992 ECSF

X-man..... 19 on 50%
Pippen.... 16 on 40%

1989 ECSF

M Jackson.... 15/3/11
Pippen........... 15/7/5

1996 ECSF

Pippen....... 15 on 33%
Oakley..... 13/11 on 50%

We will never know that. Pippen and Jordan were the perfect 2 and 3, That's why the complemented each other so well . One game or one series doesn't mean the whole story most of the times and we are talking about coulda shoulda, etc. Pipen and Jordan were in another level when compared with those knicks team. I see the stats but the thing with basketball is when it counts the most those guys were winning and the knicks were not. I do not agree that those players from the Knicks out produced pippen. Pippen was very versatile, a complete player back then. knicks had a team of bodybuilders. lol...

DABIGSALSISHA
04-03-2021, 05:03 PM
He was already talking retirement with his dad before the 93' season was over. He cited mental and physical exhaustion in his documentary for the reasoning to quit.

Nah, His father passing was the reason that changed everything. nothing was written in stone or was planed before he just mentioned that. I remember those days.

light
04-03-2021, 05:41 PM

MJ and Shaq both three-peated during the watered down modern expansion era of 1988-2004 when the league added 7 additional teams.

People often talk about how weak the finals competition was for the Chicago Bulls in the 90s, but it was also very weak for the Lakers in the early 2000's.

The public already puts a kind of mental asterisk on all of those rings because of expansion.

https://s4.gifyu.com/images/modern-expansion.png

https://s4.gifyu.com/images/watered-down.png

https://s4.gifyu.com/images/rodman-knows-watered-down.png

bullettooth
04-03-2021, 05:59 PM
Her come the LeBum fans with desperate attempts to prop up their balding hero!

Axe
04-03-2021, 06:15 PM
He got suspended for 1.5 seasons due to his gambling habits

dankok8
04-03-2021, 06:21 PM
This thread could actually backfire badly when the Lakers threepeat in 2022. LOL

DoctorP
04-03-2021, 06:23 PM
This thread could actually backfire badly when the Lakers threepeat in 2022. LOL

LeBron would be closer to GOAT status if that were the case.

3ball
04-03-2021, 06:26 PM
LeBron would be closer to GOAT status if that were the case.

Lebron would add more lesser-tier rings to his resume, aka rings as the "pippen" (2020, 2011) or rings with "1b's" (2016)

So that's almost no rings with true 2nd options that average far less... Infact, he has zero rings with a true 2nd option that always averaged far less

Axe
04-03-2021, 06:30 PM
Lebron would add more lesser-tier rings to his resume, aka rings as the "pippen" (2020, 2011) or rings with "1b's" (2016)

So that's almost no rings with true 2nd options that average far less... Infact, he has zero rings with a true 2nd option that always averaged far less
If he threepeats tho, i could see you killing yourself over this lame ass bullshit lmfao.

3ball
04-03-2021, 06:31 PM
If he threepeats tho, i could see you killing yourself over this bullshit lmfao.

I'm not cheering against him; just laughing and quite amused at this point in the efforts it takes to still fall way short of Jordan

The longer he plays to achieve less, the worse it looks for him

He's desperate, whereas MJ got it done in 13 years (secured goat status)... Actually, he did it in 9 years (by 93') and then came back for fun to rub it in

Btw, he accomplished his resume playing at a higher everyday standard than anyone in history (scoring champ and top 5 DPOY with goat team offense)

Mauzah
04-03-2021, 06:54 PM
No, Jordan would not win against houston with Penny. just by the fact that the WEAK link on that team ALWAYS WAS NICK ANDERSON. He was the main reason why the Magic had no chance in the finals vs Houston. A guy that misses several free throws and easy jump shots that could seal the deal, instead they go to overtime and lose. Jordan was also coming back from baseball and he wasn't ready to win yet. It wouldn't work imo. Shaq was great for the Magic, but Olajuwon was a better center than he was back then too, Penny with jordan would've lost to Rockets as they were loaded in every position and wouldn't miss shots in that finals. Nick anderson was just as bad as John Starks was for the Knicks when it mattered, kept missing all types of easy shots and Knicks lost, I twas never Ewing's fault really.

What the hell are you talking about? Nick Anderson was a fantastic guard and yeah I would agree those missed freethrows broke him as a player but until that point Nick Anderson was solid and nearly a 20 points per game scorer.

I get people around like to bag on Starks as a #2 option around here but I watched those Knicks games myself and Starks was a tough competitor who hit plenty of big shots. I'm not talking last 90 seconds in the 4th but throughout the course of the game where a bucket was needed or they were going to lose control of the game.

But yah we get it... anything pre 2007 is a complete joke

3ball
04-03-2021, 06:57 PM
I'm not cheering against him; just laughing and quite amused at this point in the efforts it takes to still fall way short of Jordan

He's desperate, whereas MJ got it done in 13 years (secured goat status)... Actually, he did it in 9 years (by 93') and then came back for fun to rub it in

Btw, he accomplished his resume playing at a higher everyday standard than anyone in history (scoring champ and top 5 DPOY with goat team offense)

Axe running from 3ball in this thread and another one

Axe
04-03-2021, 07:01 PM
Axe running from 3ball in this thread and another one
Lol now you are merely projecting. Anyway the fact that you have to keep on talking about king kong in this board dayly only shows that he's become a significant part of your life.

kuniva_dAMiGhTy
04-03-2021, 07:01 PM

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/ImpressionableConsciousIrishwolfhound-small.gif

3ball
04-03-2021, 07:05 PM
https://thumbs.gfycat.com/ImpressionableConsciousIrishwolfhound-small.gif

So you're losing it about what I said?

That's what the gif means right?

Ultimately,

6 rings with 1 other star is greater than anything someone could do with a super-team, so who cares about comp.. facing big 3 super-teams with big 3 super-teams is the same as facing a 2-star team with a 2-star team..

again, 6/6 with 1 other star is greater than anything someone could do with a super-team, 2 other stars, or as the "pippen" to AD

SATAN
04-03-2021, 07:11 PM

Grow up.

kawhileonard2
04-03-2021, 08:33 PM
3-Peat is another necessary condition for GOAT, just like 100% finals winning percentage.

Agreed!

2much_knowledge
04-04-2021, 09:14 PM
Grow up.

Which shoulder do you prefer to cry on? Left or right one?

2much_knowledge
04-04-2021, 09:16 PM
MJ and Shaq both three-peated during the watered down modern expansion era of 1988-2004 when the league added 7 additional teams.

People often talk about how weak the finals competition was for the Chicago Bulls in the 90s, but it was also very weak for the Lakers in the early 2000's.

The public already puts a kind of mental asterisk on all of those rings because of expansion.

https://s4.gifyu.com/images/modern-expansion.png

https://s4.gifyu.com/images/watered-down.png

https://s4.gifyu.com/images/rodman-knows-watered-down.png

I laugh everytime you say this. The real strong Nba started exactly the year Lebron got in the league. What a coincidence lololol. Load of crocksh*t

2much_knowledge
04-04-2021, 09:17 PM

And what makes you think this could actually happen? In curious

HoopsNY
04-04-2021, 09:54 PM
You have to compare eras against their own era. Shaq and MJ did it in a typical 2 star lineup and their opponents were the same. You can't throw in the 60s, 80s, and now as a comparison where teams were stacked or had 3 stars and then trump the 90s or early 2000s. It doesn't work that way.

HoopsNY
04-04-2021, 09:55 PM
I laugh everytime you say this. The real strong Nba started exactly the year Lebron got in the league. What a coincidence lololol. Load of crocksh*t

It's convenient for him to disregard 2004-10 because the league then was similar to 1991-2003. I mean, who were the 3 all-stars on the Pistons of 2004, or the Lakers of 2009 and 2010. Or heck, the Spurs in 2007? Bran stans create one set of rules for their idol and never apply it equally.

Axe
04-04-2021, 11:31 PM
Lord voldemort's obsession with trashing jordan and anything related to him in this board, who he used to claim in an older thread was his 'second favorite player' in the league, is not so hard to overlook after all. :lol

dankok8
04-04-2021, 11:32 PM
And what makes you think this could actually happen? In curious

If Lebron is healthy come playoff time and Davis is at least 70-80% of himself (say puts up 22/9 on 60 %TS with his usual defense) I think LA repeats easily. And then next year say the Nets get banged up LA is the heavy favorite again. I'm not saying a threepeat is certain or something but there is a pretty decent chance.

DABIGSALSISHA
04-05-2021, 12:50 AM
He got suspended for 1.5 seasons due to his gambling habits

Still the GOAT for me. Who doesn't make mistakes, throw in the first rock!!! Players copying his moves to this day in 2021, Successful moves, that tie, win games. None of this today would've existed without the SEED that MJ, Magic, Bird and The DREAM TEAM 1 Planted back then. Criticizing them is not appreciating the game of basketball and lastly not liking the best players of today because those have MJ and those guys as TEACHERS and IDOLS.

DoctorP
04-05-2021, 12:59 AM
Still the GOAT for me. Who doesn't make mistakes, throw in the first rock!!! Players copying his moves to this day in 2021, Successful moves, that tie, win games. None of this today would've existed without the SEED that MJ, Magic, Bird and The DREAM TEAM 1 Planted back then. Criticizing them is not appreciating the game of basketball and lastly not liking the best players of today because those have MJ and those guys as TEACHERS and IDOLS.

Amen to that sausage :cheers:

DABIGSALSISHA
04-05-2021, 01:10 AM
You have to compare eras against their own era. Shaq and MJ did it in a typical 2 star lineup and their opponents were the same. You can't throw in the 60s, 80s, and now as a comparison where teams were stacked or had 3 stars and then trump the 90s or early 2000s. It doesn't work that way.

Exactly, That and most teams back then (especially 90s) had a strong core, YEARS OF Foundation and players that knew each other and played with each other all the time what doesn't happen today because they are changing from team to team every season, every 5 min, that's why this is one of the reasons I believe Lebron wasn't able to 3 peat and probably never will. If he loses this year, or injured AD = Wade with bum knees, he will probably leave the Lakers for another team next year, no feelings.. If Curry doesn't go to him he will go to Curry lol

DABIGSALSISHA
04-05-2021, 01:12 AM
@DoctorP :rockon:

DABIGSALSISHA
04-05-2021, 01:30 AM
What the hell are you talking about? Nick Anderson was a fantastic guard and yeah I would agree those missed freethrows broke him as a player but until that point Nick Anderson was solid and nearly a 20 points per game scorer.

I get people around like to bag on Starks as a #2 option around here but I watched those Knicks games myself and Starks was a tough competitor who hit plenty of big shots. I'm not talking last 90 seconds in the 4th but throughout the course of the game where a bucket was needed or they were going to lose control of the game.

But yah we get it... anything pre 2007 is a complete joke

Nick Anderson was the WEAK LINK of the Magic team. I was a magic fan back then and that man was a brick factory when it mattered for the magic.
He was the reason that made the entire magic organization UNSTABLE in the finals after missing free throws that would put Houston AWAY in game one of the Finals. It would be 1-0 Magic in the finals and as young team they would build up confidence to extend that series. Instead, Mr. Anderson did what he did and was the main reason why Shaq LEFT as well. Imagine losing in embarrassing fashion like that, guy was a mental midget from that moment on. His hole career was erased after that.

John Starks for the Knicks was almost the same as Nick was for the Magic , always playing well until the playoffs started and the competition got tougher. He was the Weak Link for the Knicks. I was a Starks fan so you know. No, I'm not talking 90 seconds I'm talking about the finals vs Houston when he would throw bricks over and over and over again the entire freaking game and Knicks LOST the FINALS. Regular season player, even he knows.

I don't understand why you say pre 2007 is a joke?? Whats your point?

highwhey
04-05-2021, 01:31 AM
@DoctorP :rockon:

:roll: username

2much_knowledge
04-05-2021, 03:12 AM
If Lebron is healthy come playoff time and Davis is at least 70-80% of himself (say puts up 22/9 on 60 %TS with his usual defense) I think LA repeats easily. And then next year say the Nets get banged up LA is the heavy favorite again. I'm not saying a threepeat is certain or something but there is a pretty decent chance.

I don't think so. Going 4-2 against that version of Miami says alot. And they was healthy. Now their not minus rondo, howard and mcgee. I guess we will see