PDA

View Full Version : The Stephon Marbury of the league

PP34Deuce
03-11-2021, 04:29 PM
Was watching the Netflix special on Marbury and you forget how talented and HOF caliber he was play wise.

That said, he was very mercurial and not easy to work with. He could however drop 25PPG and still dish out assists and run a team decent.

Who is the Stephon Marbury of the league right now? Would it be Kyrie? (even if Kyrie was a big part of a championship in Cleveland)

pandiani17
03-11-2021, 04:31 PM
Good comparison, though Kyrie already has a ring and will probably add more in his stint with Durant and Harden in Brooklyn.

Smoke117
03-11-2021, 04:47 PM
Stephon Marbury was an idiot. Twolves basically had to trade him because he wouldn't play second fiddle to Garnett. They could have actually been a real formidable team in the 2000s if he had checked his ego.

Dbrog
03-11-2021, 04:51 PM
Was always a nice fantasy pick-up. You could pencil him in for 22 and 8 every game back in the day

scuzzy
03-11-2021, 05:01 PM
Replace Marbury's toddle anger with Kyrie's IQ superiority complex and it's pretty much identical.

Cleveland beat writers use to always drop random articles how it was another "bad week" or "bad month" for Kyrie ignoring the team or coaches sporadically. But he'd still drop 25-30 and quit the noise, making it even more confusing . Before LeArrival, he had it with Waiters bad. Early on Kyrie's drunk pops was very hands on with Cavs FO trying to play shot caller-agent-father-doctor.

Then LeArrived and noise shifted to KLove because he's white, mental illness problem not behavior problem. There goes kev tying to fit out again. *sigh*

So Kyrie's weirdness just got umbrella'd by layers and layers of bigger Leclickbait buzz, leblatt, letrade, lefired. Those lifted the moment he requested the trade. Ok so that tid bit articles we ignored over Ky pouting during the 2016 parade was real. Almost immediately the weirdness started oozing into public just hours after Boston trade.

He had the perfect safety net on that Cavs unit. Probably same reason he bolted, to let the world know who he truly was. Just didn't get the "mamba mentality" feedback he was hoping. :lol

FultzNationRISE
03-11-2021, 05:10 PM
This is a pretty mundane yet relevant story:

I was sitting in my seat on a flight from NY to LA a few years back, waiting for the rest of the passengers to finish boarding. Onto the plane walks the man himself, and in my surprise I reflexively yelped out “Starbury!?” He looked at me and gave a token half smile and head nod. Nobody else seemed to recognize him. He ended up being in the seat in front of me, and had to be reminded twice by the stewardess to put down his phone during takeoff :lol

Was pretty sad tho to see a guy who made tens of millions in his career still end up flyin coach on a five hour overnight flight.

Xiao Yao You
03-11-2021, 05:21 PM
This is a pretty mundane yet relevant story:

I was sitting in my seat on a flight from NY to LA a few years back, waiting for the rest of the passengers to finish boarding. Onto the plane walks the man himself, and in my surprise I reflexively yelped out “Starbury!?” He looked at me and gave a token half smile and head nod. Nobody else seemed to recognize him. He ended up being in the seat in front of me, and had to be reminded twice by the stewardess to put down his phone during takeoff :lol

Was pretty sad tho to see a guy who made tens of millions in his career still end up flyin coach on a five hour overnight flight.

what is sad about a guy being a cheap skate

FultzNationRISE
03-11-2021, 05:46 PM
what is sad about a guy being a cheap skate

I doubt he had much choice in the matter, Im pretty sure he was broke at that time.

Funny enough it reminds me of another thing I hadnt thought about in years.

I was driving down Sunset one day and saw Terrell Owens come out of an office building (probably of a bankruptcy lawyer) and cross the street in front of me and get into the drivers seat an old junkie VW Beetle.

I rolled down my window as I drove past him and shouted “Lets go TO!” He put his arm up in acknowledgement but didnt look back.

Shit was sad and hilarious.

Gohan
03-11-2021, 10:31 PM
I doubt he had much choice in the matter, Im pretty sure he was broke at that time.

I was driving down Sunset one day and saw Terrell Owens come out of an office building (probably of a bankruptcy lawyer) and cross the street in front of me and get into the drivers seat an old junkie VW Beetle.

I rolled down my window as I drove past him and shouted “Lets go TO!” He put his arm up in acknowledgement but didnt look back.

Lmao that’s pretty cool.

Smoke117
03-11-2021, 10:57 PM

Shit is also clearly made up like 90% of the nonsense you spew.

FultzNationRISE
03-12-2021, 01:45 AM
Shit is also clearly made up like 90% of the nonsense you spew.

:kobe:

Every word is legit, buster.

If I'm lyin I'm dyin.

bizil
03-12-2021, 12:41 PM
Was watching the Netflix special on Marbury and you forget how talented and HOF caliber he was play wise.

That said, he was very mercurial and not easy to work with. He could however drop 25PPG and still dish out assists and run a team decent.

Who is the Stephon Marbury of the league right now? Would it be Kyrie? (even if Kyrie was a big part of a championship in Cleveland)

AT HIS SIZE (6'3 and under), Marbury was one of the most gifted players EVER! You won't find many players that size with his scoring ability, passing, athletic ability, and strength as a package. For a long time, he and Oscar were the only two players to average 20 PPG and 8 APG over a career. Eventually Steph fell short of that mark. But he was in that tier with Oscar for a damn good amount of time. Still finished his career at 19.3 PPG and 7.6 APG. So he STILL wasn't far off. However it was a FATAL MISTAKE that he wanted out of Minny. He and KG together LONG TERM would have been a problem for the West. When Steph left, NEITHER player was in their prime yet. NOBODY was stopping Shaq-Kobe out West. But once Shaq-Kobe were done, a prime KG-Steph with the right cast could have done some shit!

Despite the last 3 or 4 seasons at the end of his career. The fact he was outta the league in his early 30's was a shame. FOR SURE on an HOF track on one point. CRAZY he only played in two All Star games. BUT it was the Golden Era of SG's back then. And even though he was a PG, All Star games make no distinction between PG and SG. And the notion he was a SCORE first PG is wrong. I know many people think that. He sort of blurred the lines in his thought process. The guys like Him and Baron Davis.

Mr. Woke
03-13-2021, 09:32 AM
Kyrie is definitely better than Marbury ever was.

light
03-14-2021, 03:35 AM

Kyrie is a lot better than Marbury.

It could be John Wall.