PDA

View Full Version : Stephen Curry and Karl Malone

Lebron23
01-05-2021, 01:19 AM
How many championships if they play together in the 1990's??

dankok8
01-05-2021, 01:36 AM
Honestly the more physical NBA would be tough for Curry to adjust to. He would have the most difficult time of just about any contemporary player adjusting to that. His game thrives on freedom of movement and he would get hit back then and might even break down physically since he's somewhat fragile.

But still... that would be an OP tandem. I don't think most folks today realize how good Karl Malone was. 1-2 titles is quite probable.

Xiao Yao You
01-05-2021, 01:41 AM
who's their coach and surrounding cast?

coastalmarker99
01-05-2021, 01:43 AM
If it is the Jazz then they win the title in 1997 and 1998 and have a serious chance to win more titles in 1995 and 1996 and maybe 1999 but that's it

Lebron23
01-05-2021, 01:55 AM
who's their coach and surrounding cast?

Jerry Sloan. Just replace John Stockon

warriorfan
01-05-2021, 01:59 AM
Curry/Malone pick and roll...shortened 3 point line...

3peat

light
01-05-2021, 02:33 AM

Idk, but Malone would turn Curry into his girlfriend.

ErhnamDjinn
01-05-2021, 03:22 AM
Idk, but Malone would turn Curry into his girlfriend.

Would probably hit on aesha and his mom.

warriorfan
01-05-2021, 03:26 AM
Would probably hit on aesha and his mom.

Malone is more of a Riley type of dude....

:coleman:

coastalmarker99
01-05-2021, 04:50 AM

3peat

Agreed Curry would look as if he was a god in that era and with the shorted three-point line he would be utterly unstoppable and could seriously average 35 points a game if he wanted to.

iamgine
01-05-2021, 05:04 AM
It doesn't work if Curry was just replacing Stockton. Stockton was relied heavily to run the entire offense because they don't have another good ball handler who can run the offense. And he doesn't ever miss games. With Curry, Jazz would need a pretty good secondary ball handler to run the offense for when Curry was injured or playing off ball. In GSW, Draymond fulfills this role.

I don't think it works if Jazz was as they were constructed.

Xiao Yao You
01-05-2021, 05:12 AM
Jerry Sloan. Just replace John Stockon

than no

Xiao Yao You
01-05-2021, 05:13 AM
It doesn't work if Curry was just replacing Stockton. Stockton was relied heavily to run the entire offense because they don't have another good ball handler who can run the offense. And he doesn't ever miss games. With Curry, Jazz would need a pretty good secondary ball handler to run the offense for when Curry was injured or playing off ball. In GSW, Draymond fulfills this role.

Horny ran the offense just fine but if Sloan is coach Curry isn't shooting a ton of 3's.

iamgine
01-05-2021, 05:18 AM
Horny ran the offense just fine but if Sloan is coach Curry isn't shooting a ton of 3's.

Didn't he only joined in '95 or something?

Xiao Yao You
01-05-2021, 06:25 AM
Didn't he only joined in '95 or something?

yeah it's a big reason why those were their best teams

Micku
01-05-2021, 07:12 AM

Yeah dude. One of the biggest changes from Mark Jackson to Steve Kerr was the utilization of Curry. Jackson had him running more point while Kerr had him running off the ball. It makes him more of a threat.

I don't think you could maximize Curry's strength with him being the sole ball handler. They would have to have a secondary ball handler/playmaker on the squad. They could do it with their flex offense, as it does involve a lot of movement and screening off the ball.

Jasper
01-05-2021, 11:25 AM

ZERO

Curry could never fill Stockton's passing skills

8Ball
01-05-2021, 11:30 AM

3peat

6 peat. Jordan would have 0

tontoz
01-05-2021, 11:35 AM
I liked Stockton but i think Curry is a better player. Curry can create on his own far better than Stockton and his off ball impact is also far greater than Stockton.

Jazz made the Finals twice with Stockton and took the Bulls to 6 games both times. I think they win both with Steph instead of Stockton.

dankok8
01-05-2021, 12:20 PM
Those talking about 3-peats and stuff don't realize that the 1997 and 1998 Jazz were already an elite offense. Curry would improve them slightly but he wouldn't make a monumental impact. Not because he isn't better than Stockton because he's a lot better but an already great offense can only be improved so much. The defense might regress very slightly with Curry but considering he's just a PG don't see how Utah changes much on that end. They weren't a defensive juggernaut in the late 90's at all and won with their offense. I'm willing to bet that Curry instead of Stockton pushes them from a very strong offense to a historic one but being a merely above average defensive team as those Jazz were makes a dynasty very unlikely.

People underestimate IMO what a terrible matchup those Bulls would be for Curry. Harper, Jordan and Pippen would take turns defending him 94 feet with those long arms. They would be physical hitting him as he went around screens and that would wear him down. We've seen larger defenders with quick feet give Steph trouble at times. Jordan and Pippen pretty much epitomize quick feet and length. Handchecking just makes it worse.

All in all I think the Jazz with Curry could make about 3 Finals... maybe split with the Bulls in 1997 and 1998 then win one in 1999 in the lockout season. In summary 2 titles seems reasonable.

Stephonit
01-05-2021, 12:34 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WcS5qzL1TYk

https://streamable.com/2stxw7

Curry not as steady as Stockton as a passer but more inspirational.

kawhileonard2
01-06-2021, 12:02 AM
Steph Curry in the 90's would be the equivalent of Dell Curry.

Mr. Woke
01-06-2021, 11:59 AM
Curry is way better than Stockton.

A team with Curry and Malone definitely would have put up a better fight against the Bulls.