PDA

View Full Version : G-league vs college

highwhey
12-16-2020, 04:11 PM
which is better for development?

Bronbron23
12-16-2020, 04:53 PM
There's no right or wrong answer. Depends more on the program and coach.

Xiao Yao You
12-16-2020, 04:57 PM
In theory the Gleague should be. They get to work on basketball all the time. In college they have school work as well

Wally450
12-16-2020, 06:07 PM
I'd say college because you're actually still playing in a team aspect. I've watched a documentary about players in the D League and they all play for themselves and not the team because they're trying to get called up to their NBA affiliate.

Xiao Yao You
12-16-2020, 06:20 PM
I'd say college because you're actually still playing in a team aspect. I've watched a documentary about players in the D League and they all play for themselves and not the team because they're trying to get called up to their NBA affiliate.

The Stars played as a team. Doing the little things that role players need to do is more likely to get you called up

Stanley Kobrick
12-16-2020, 06:22 PM
G-League vs Euro League?

red1
12-16-2020, 06:24 PM
g-league hands down

players with talent develop and come out more nba-ready. siakam and freddy both improved from the g-league

Xiao Yao You
12-16-2020, 06:39 PM
G-League vs Euro League?

Probably depends on the situation. Should be Gleague just because they are playing by similar rules with NBA systems, coaches, players etc. involved

Xiao Yao You
12-16-2020, 06:39 PM
g-league hands down

players with talent develop and come out more nba-ready. siakam and freddy both improved from the g-league

Gobert spent some time in the Gleague

KissMySwag
12-16-2020, 07:56 PM
Alex Caruso spoke on this a bit and I think he had a really good point about the players in the g league. While I can’t remember the exact quote it was something along the lines of the players needing to realize what teams are looking for when paying attention to those g league players. He said loosely a lot of the players are playing as if the team/company is looking for a new Vice President when really most teams are looking for the janitors, the guys doing the dirty work, the guys showing hustle, the guys that are gonna give up everything for the benefit of the team. So while you might be able to go out there as a g league player and drop 30 most teams aren’t really looking for that as there’s already plenty scorers in the nba right now.

What else are you bringing to the team?

With that said I think it depends on what you want to do as a player. If you wanna go and ball out be the main man and get all the attention and be the star playing college ball would probably suit that player best. If you’re willing to do whatever necessary for the team and be a hardworking player the g league is the way to go as you get the legal money and you’re still he scouted by the nba.

Xiao Yao You
12-16-2020, 08:09 PM
Alex Caruso spoke on this a bit and I think he had a really good point about the players in the g league. While I can’t remember the exact quote it was something along the lines of the players needing to realize what teams are looking for when paying attention to those g league players. He said loosely a lot of the players are playing as if the team/company is looking for a new Vice President when really most teams are looking for the janitors, the guys doing the dirty work, the guys showing hustle, the guys that are gonna give up everything for the benefit of the team. So while you might be able to go out there as a g league player and drop 30 most teams aren’t really looking for that as there’s already plenty scorers in the nba right now.

What else are you bringing to the team?

With that said I think it depends on what you want to do as a player. If you wanna go and ball out be the main man and get all the attention and be the star playing college ball would probably suit that player best. If you’re willing to do whatever necessary for the team and be a hardworking player the g league is the way to go as you get the legal money and you’re still he scouted by the nba.

Jarrell Brantley was first team all g-league and was rewarded with another two way contract while his fellow Stars from a year ago Oni and Morgan are in the mix for playing time and they gave their 2nd round pick this year a guaranteed two year regular contract.

KissMySwag
12-16-2020, 08:26 PM
Jarrell Brantley was first team all g-league and was rewarded with another two way contract while his fellow Stars from a year ago Oni and Morgan are in the mix for playing time and they gave their 2nd round pick this year a guaranteed two year regular contract.

Yeah I believe the players showing out in the g league will be rewarded with opportunities of course. But coming out of high school if you’re that star player I think college is the way to go considering you will create more hype in college as opposed to the g league, leading to a lottery pick. If you’re the kinda guy that’s a late second round or potentially undrafted the g league is the way to go.

The top ten recruits from high school will most likely dominate college as well guaranteeing a lottery pick while if that same player goes to the g league against much tougher competition might not perform as well lowering their draft status.

But the not top recruits I think have a better chance showing they can compete with the next level of talent and showcase their skills in the gleague while getting paid.

KissMySwag
12-16-2020, 08:28 PM
Basically I think the fodder is the fodder and you might as well try to prove you belong while playing against tougher competition even though it will be more difficult. If you can show you play “decent” against gleague level competition it’s much better than playing “decent” against NCAA competition.

Xiao Yao You
12-16-2020, 08:30 PM
Yeah I believe the players showing out in the g league will be rewarded with opportunities of course. But coming out of high school if you’re that star player I think college is the way to go considering you will create more hype in college as opposed to the g league, leading to a lottery pick. If you’re the kinda guy that’s a late second round or potentially undrafted the g league is the way to go.

The top ten recruits from high school will most likely dominate college as well guaranteeing a lottery pick while if that same player goes to the g league against much tougher competition might not perform as well lowering their draft status.

But the not top recruits I think have a better chance showing they can compete with the next level of talent and showcase their skills in the gleague while getting paid.

College should be for student athletes. If you're going there just to play basketball you're better off in the pros working on your game everyday instead of studying

highwhey
12-16-2020, 08:37 PM

well the divergence lies in the development benefits that each path offers. that's why i'm asking flat out, which path offers better development? i think the g-league does, because college play and nba styles are different and we see that when a high pick turns into a bust. very different style of play that doesn't always translate. vs g-league that is a training pool for the nba.

i think it's like obtaining a degree from a university to fullfill a job, vs taking work specific training that is specialized to prepare you for the particular job.

Xiao Yao You
12-16-2020, 08:39 PM
well the divergence lies in the development benefits that each path offers. that's why i'm asking flat out, which path offers better development? i think the g-league does, because college play and nba styles are different and we see that when a high pick turns into a bust. very different style of play that doesn't always translate. vs g-league that is a training pool for the nba.

i think it's like obtaining a degree from a university to fullfill a job, vs taking work specific training that is specialized to prepare you for the particular job.

and again even more than that it is their job and they get to train to play basketball full time instead of having to worry about school as well

highwhey
12-16-2020, 08:42 PM
and again even more than that it is their job and they get to train to play basketball full time instead of having to worry about school as well

yep. i think if i were top player, i'd go to the g-leauge. top prospects earn lik $500k and the lower ones earn like $50k, which is still a decent living in america.

but if i wasn't 1st round material, i'd probably stick to college for the free ride.

KissMySwag
12-16-2020, 08:53 PM

Reading yours and highwheys replies I do think going to the g league is much better for development. I’m saying say you have 1-5 top recruits going to the g league while 5-10 go to college. 1-5 probably still do well in g league create some decent buzz and what not but 5-10 dominate college get tons of hype potentially rise above 1-5 in draft stock and most likely get better sponsorships and ad revenue.

Imo college is just much more advertised and broadcasted to the world. If the nba can do a better job of showcasing the g league talent I would say g league all the way. So I think it’s more so a short term college, long term g league type of deal. Although that probably changes now that players are allowed to go straight to g league.

I guess it all depends on what the top recruits decide to do if they continue to go to college that’s the play as a top recruit but if we continue to see more players going to the g league and overseas that’s probably the way to go.

ZenMaster
12-16-2020, 09:10 PM
I think for a lot of players doing both would be good, through player development you want something close to a 50/25/25 split vs your competition every season.
50% of your games vs equal competition, 25% vs higher competition and 25% vs lower competition.

Players need to have the proper mindset though, Caruso made a good point about a lot of guys in the G-League thinking they're hot shit, so they play like that instead of focusing on developing towards a specific role. When the NBA teams overlook them and they figure out that they're not considered good enough to play like hot shit in the NBA, it's too late.

Xiao Yao You
12-16-2020, 09:14 PM
I think for a lot of players doing both would be good, through player development you want something close to a 50/25/25 split vs your competition every season.
50% of your games vs equal competition, 25% vs higher competition and 25% vs lower competition.

Players need to have the proper mindset though, Caruso made a good point about a lot of guys in the G-League thinking they're hot shit, so they play like that instead of focusing on developing towards a specific role. When the NBA teams overlook them and they figure out that they're not considered good enough to play like hot shit in the NBA, it's too late.

If you're in the gleague you're not hot shit outside the new elite team of high school guys. You're a fringe NBA player at best so you need to show at least one skill that will get you in the league ideally the 3 and/or D

ralph_i_el
12-17-2020, 02:45 PM
The Stars played as a team. Doing the little things that role players need to do is more likely to get you called up

^This

Lots of the top scorers in the D league are not called up. Guys who look like great bench guys do.

baudkarma
12-17-2020, 04:28 PM
Which college? Obviously there's a huge difference between playing for Duke and playing for North Carolina Central. A major university will probably have better coaching and better facilities than a G-league team. Better travel arrangements, too. And you have to take into account that playing for a big name University is going to get you a lot more exposure than playing in the G-league, especially if your school makes a splash in the tournament.

The other consideration is that if you go the college route and it doesn't work out for whatever reason, you can still have G-league as a backup plan. But if you go G-league, once you hire an agent or sign that contract or whatever, you've lost any chance you had to play in the NCAA. If the G-league cuts you, then you're looking to hook on with some minor league team in China or Croatia or wherever.

FireDavidKahn
12-17-2020, 05:43 PM
Gleague has way more talent so that's a huge plus.