PDA

View Full Version : Is Kyle Lowry a Hall of Famer?

TAZORAC
09-12-2020, 02:57 PM
Next season will be year 15 for Lowry.

Do you think he deserves to be in the HOF?

Personally I think if Joe Dumars is in, then he should be.

Gohan
09-12-2020, 03:00 PM

You let Kyle in you let derozan in

TAZORAC
09-12-2020, 03:04 PM
You let Kyle in you let derozan in

That's the thing about the HOF, alot of people say well 'you let this guy in, then this guy deserves to be in". Derozans next 3 seasons will be my determining factor.

Honestly, in my opinion, Derozan is just if not better then James Worthy as an individual player.

pandiani17
09-12-2020, 03:05 PM
Hell no, despite I like him a lot. But he is not Hall Of Fame material. He needs more rings, All-NBA nominations, etc., basically more team and individual accolades. Joe Dumars was MVP in the finals, won two rings, got to the finals three times, etc. I don't have them in the same level.

pandiani17
09-12-2020, 03:06 PM
That's the thing about the HOF, alot of people say well 'you let this guy in, then this guy deserves to be in". Derozans next 3 seasons will be my determining factor.

Honestly, in my opinion, Derozan is just if not better then James Worthy as an individual player.

Did you see Worthy play? Have you seen his achievements? I mean, Worthy had a much, much more better career than DeRozan until now, and he even won a NCAA championship, which also counts when entering the Hall.

TAZORAC
09-12-2020, 03:07 PM
Hell no, despite I like him a lot. But he is not Hall Of Fame material. He needs more rings, All-NBA nominations, etc., basically more team and individual accolades. Joe Dumars was MVP in the finals, won two rings, got to the finals three times, etc. I don't have them in the same level.

I've said this time and time again. A basketball team has 12 players. This isn't Tennis. CHAMPIONSHIPS is a team achievement. Lowry is a better individual player then Joe Dumars.

TAZORAC
09-12-2020, 03:09 PM
Did you see Worthy play? Have you seen his achievements? I mean, Worthy had a much, much more better career than DeRozan until now, and he even won a NCAA championship, which also counts when entering the Hall.

NCAA championships mean nothing to me. UNC had more talent then 99% of the college basketball in the 80s. Worthy's individual achievements aren't much better then Derozan. Plus Derozan still has years left.

RRR3
09-12-2020, 03:11 PM
He’s obviously going to make it based off the standards the HOF has. Whether or not he meets your standards for the HOF is irrelevant when there are numerous worse players in the HOF. He’s a 6 time all star who won a ring as the second best player (or third if you still believe in Siakam). I am positive he’ll make it. And no DeRozan won’t make it. Not even close. Lowry is in a completely different tier than DeRozan.

Roundball_Rock
09-12-2020, 03:21 PM
He’s obviously going to make it based off the standards the HOF has. Whether or not he meets your standards for the HOF is irrelevant when there are numerous worse players in the HOF. He’s a 6 time all star who won a ring as the second best player (or third if you still believe in Siakam). I am positive he’ll make it. And no DeRozan won’t make it. Not even close. Lowry is in a completely different tier than DeRozan.

This. Lowry isn't first ballot but he is a lock to get in. What he and Toronto did this year w/out Kawhi only strengthened his case.

bigbrownschaub
09-12-2020, 03:22 PM
100% b. could go either way though

BurningHammer
09-12-2020, 03:39 PM

Which is sad since many including me who have followed Derozan since his rookie years had high hope of him leaving legacy as large or larger than Lowry until he was traded.

Derozan still has time to fix that, of course, but it surely is running out very quickly.

MrFonzworth
09-12-2020, 05:07 PM
100% b. could go either way though

I agree 100% bubba, hard to say though

Manny98
09-12-2020, 07:09 PM
:roll::roll::roll::roll::roll:

Smoke117
09-12-2020, 07:30 PM
No. If he did it'd be one of those years later situations during a weak year.

BigtimeNBAFan
09-12-2020, 07:36 PM
NCAA championships mean nothing to me. UNC had more talent then 99% of the college basketball in the 80s. Worthy's individual achievements aren't much better then Derozan. Plus Derozan still has years left.

It might not matter to you, but it matters to the hall of fame. John Calipari isn't in the Basketball Hall of Fame for his stellar coaching job with the New Jersey Nets. He is in it for his college basketball success. James Worthy was a great NBA player, but also was the star of Dean Smith's first title. Demar Derozan didn't win anything at USC. Believe me, if Derozan won a national championship in college, his hall of fame chances would be higher than they are now. Grant Hill's national titles in college also played into him getting into the Hall of Fame. There is no "NBA Hall of Fame." It is the basketball hall of fame. Derozan has not been a winner in the NBA and wasn't a winner in college so he likely doesn't get in. His nba accolades are also not great for a nonwinner. If you aren't going to win anything you better have more than 4 all star appearances and 2 all nba teams.

barkleynash
09-12-2020, 07:39 PM
lowry is without, a doubt, a hall of famer. One of the best small guards in league history. Isiah, Chris Paul and him. I actually take Lowry over Chris Paul. Some people will think I am crazy, but he is a better leader and better teammate and makes more winning plays.

Axe
09-12-2020, 07:48 PM
Well, what do you expect?

1st pick worthy has been drafted by a stacked prestigious franchise who already won two titles in the last 3 years prior to his maiden season and stayed there for the rest of his career.

So ofc, it's only natural that his career was miles better, especially when he had fellow hof'ers to keep the lakers relevant in the postseason for most years he was still active in the league. Showtime were heavily stacked back then.

Compared to derozan, a star who was drafted by a laughingstock franchise back in 2009 and 10 years later, now with a perennial playoff contender in spurs, still remains chipless.

GrayGoat
09-12-2020, 07:51 PM
That boi is thicc

Whoah10115
09-12-2020, 10:17 PM
Don't think so. Not if he stopped now anyway.

If he can play 3 more years at this level, while continuing to increase production in the postseason, then it could happen. But right now he isn't a hall-of-famer, and I don't think people have that impression.

Grant Hill is one of the best college players ever, and that obviously helped his case...for making it on the first ballot. He was GREAT for six years. Lowry is a great player in the league now, but is he a great player all-time? And he isn't elite or top 10, he hasn't always played very well in the playoffs. That impacts his chances, besides affecting whether or not he should be in.

NBAGOAT
09-12-2020, 10:22 PM
aldridge is closer and he has a better career. lowry has a case with one or two more all star years i think. then he's a 7-8 time all star, those guys usually get in

aj1987
09-13-2020, 03:26 AM

Lowry: 6x All-Star and 1x All-NBA 3rd Team

Dumars: 2x NBA Champ, 1x FMVP, 6x All-Star, 1x All-NBA 2nd and 2x All-NBA 3rd, 4x All-Def 1st Team and 1x All-Def 2nd Team

His resume shits on Lowry's.

Also, hell no, Lowry is not making the HOF with 1 All-NBA 3rd selection and 6 All-Star selections.

Anfernee
09-13-2020, 03:41 AM
He will make in the Hall of Fame and his number will be retired by the Raptors.

Phoenix
09-13-2020, 05:05 AM
Lowry is a better individual player then Joe Dumars.

https://media.tenor.com/images/d7600f9ba31de5aefef682e1330ffd3c/tenor.gif

Phoenix
09-13-2020, 05:20 AM
aldridge is closer and he has a better career. lowry has a case with one or two more all star years i think. then he's a 7-8 time all star, those guys usually get in

He has 6 all-star campaigns, but I think the bigger hit against his HOF credentials are the lack of all-NBA selections. He's also 35 on his next birthday so I don't know how many more all-star years he has left. Guards like that tend to just hit a wall from one season to the next where there is a big drop off. He'll continue to be a strong veteran presence for the Raptors but will naturally slide into more of a secondary role over the next few years.

Ben Wallace has been eligible for years, still isn't in, and has a much stronger case IMHO. I don't know how they continue to overlook a guy who won DPOY 4 times or whatever the count is.

NBAGOAT
09-13-2020, 05:26 AM
He has 6 all-star campaigns, but I think the bigger hit against his HOF credentials are the lack of all-NBA selections. He's also 35 on his next birthday so I don't know how many more all-star years he has left. Guards like that tend to just hit a wall from one season to the next where there is a big drop off. He'll continue to be a strong veteran presence for the Raptors but will naturally slide into more of a secondary role over the next few years.

Ben Wallace has been eligible for years, still isn't in, and has a much stronger case IMHO. I don't know how they continue to overlook a guy who won DPOY 4 times or whatever the count is.

Good point but they’ve put in guys with all star games but left out guys with multiple all nba teams for some reason guessing for longevity stat reason. Looking at guys like Webber kj and Kemp. Meanwhile jack sikma might be only guy with 7 all star games not in. Also winning a title will help Lowry though from this era, Aldridge and Blake are better borderline guys

Edit: and Ben will get in eventually

Euroleague
09-13-2020, 05:27 AM
Lowry is not a HOF level player.

Euroleague
09-13-2020, 05:29 AM
Good point but they’ve put in guys with all star games but left out guys with multiple all nba teams for some reason guessing for longevity stat reason. Looking at guys like Webber kj and Kemp. Meanwhile jack sikma might be only guy with 7 all star games not in. Also winning a title will help Lowry though from this era, Aldridge and Blake are better borderline guys

I thought Sikma was in the HOF recently.

NBAGOAT
09-13-2020, 05:35 AM
I thought Sikma was in the HOF recently.

Ah damn you’re right. Then it’s a bunch of guys with 6 or less all star games. Fyi b-ball reference has his probability at 85% so I guess that title really helps

Phoenix
09-13-2020, 06:37 AM

That's my issue with the HOF, there's really no set criteria which leads to plenty of 'well what about *this* guy if *that* guy got in' conundrums. Lowry has had a good career, very good one really. He's never been considered one of the very best in the league so it's hard to see him as a HOF level talent. I don't think he's ever really been considered a top 5 guy at his own position, too many other sure-fire HOF points in the last 15 years. Guys like Hill and Tmac, if only for a relatively short window, were considered top shelf players, All-NBA guys over multiple years, but didn't have Lowry's team success. No-one, of course, would argue thart Lowry is anywhere near either as a player.

red1
09-13-2020, 08:37 AM
to me he definitely is

we'll send the nba a petition with a million signatures if they dont nominate him

BurningHammer
09-13-2020, 02:18 PM
He will make in the Hall of Fame and his number will be retired by the Raptors.

Inducted after Vince, probably. But number 7 will be retired first for sure.

Turbo Slayer
09-13-2020, 02:53 PM
Kyle will make it in.

Lebron23
09-13-2020, 03:12 PM
That's my issue with the HOF, there's really no set criteria which leads to plenty of 'well what about *this* guy if *that* guy got in' conundrums. Lowry has had a good career, very good one really. He's never been considered one of the very best in the league so it's hard to see him as a HOF level talent. I don't think he's ever really been considered a top 5 guy at his own position, too many other sure-fire HOF points in the last 15 years. Guys like Hill and Tmac, if only for a relatively short window, were considered top shelf players, All-NBA guys over multiple years, but didn't have Lowry's team success. No-one, of course, would argue thart Lowry is anywhere near either as a player.

Kyle lowry is also successful in fiba competitions.

Phoenix
09-13-2020, 03:34 PM
Kyle lowry is also successful in fiba competitions.

I think he ends up getting in. Not first ballot though...