PDA

View Full Version : Weird stat I just learned about Ben Wallace

bison
09-11-2020, 08:05 PM
Apparently he’s the only player in the whole history of the nba to have more blocks than personal fouls, and more steals than turnovers. Don’t know how true that is, but even in a specialized role that seems...odd? I mean if that isn’t that remarkable a feat then why is he the only one?

Kblaze8855
09-12-2020, 01:45 AM
I could believe it. You need the ball to turn it over generally so the steals thing would be easier for a great defender who doesnt get touches. And he played in a physical era that let him do a good bit to help out on the fouls.

oldtimer28
09-12-2020, 05:18 AM
I could believe it. You need the ball to turn it over generally so the steals thing would be easier for a great defender who doesnt get touches. And he played in a physical era that let him do a good bit to help out on the fouls.

good logic. High minutes but not an offensive playmaker

The fouls would be harder though. Not looking, I expect about 3 blocks a game is much higher than the league average and maybe the league average for fouls is about 3?

SpaceJam
09-12-2020, 05:26 AM
Travesty he isn't in the Hall of Fame. One of my all-time fave players

iamgine
09-12-2020, 11:09 AM
Apparently he’s the only player in the whole history of the nba to have more blocks than personal fouls, and more steals than turnovers. Don’t know how true that is, but even in a specialized role that seems...odd? I mean if that isn’t that remarkable a feat then why is he the only one?
It's because elite shotblockers who also get a lot of steals are rare. And vice versa. You got what, maybe like 5 guys in the entire NBA history?

Phoenix
09-12-2020, 11:15 AM

Meanwhile Tmac and Grant Hill got in on the first go. Which is not to say those guys weren't HOF talents( who had little team success and were railroaded by injuries), but more an issue with what the criteria is ( there doesn't seem to be one). I think he will get in, but he should have by now.

TheGoatest
09-12-2020, 12:45 PM

Definitely the most deserving eligible player who isn't in the Hall of Fame yet.

Similar players Rodman and Mutombo are in the HOF, but between them Ben easily has the best individual resumé:

Ben:

4 x DPOY
4 x All-Star
3 x All-NBA 2nd team
2 x All-NBA 3rd team
5 x All-NBA Defensive 1st team
1 x All-NBA Defensive 2nd team

Rodman:

2 x DPOY
2 x All-Star
2 x All-NBA 3rd team
7 x All-NBA Defensive 1st team
1 x All-NBA Defensive 2nd team

Mutombo:

4 x DPOY
8 x All-Star
1 x All-NBA 2nd team
2 x All-NBA 3rd team
3 x All-NBA Defensive 1st team
3 x All-NBA Defensive 2nd team

MaxPlayer
09-12-2020, 12:57 PM
Does anyone know the other players in the two groups?

The only other guys I've found that also had more Blocks than Fouls were Manute Bol (by far), Mark Eaton, David Robinson, and Anthony Davis (by a hair.)

TheGoatest
09-12-2020, 01:15 PM
Does anyone know the other players in the two groups?

The only other guys I've found that also had more Blocks than Fouls were Manute Bol (by far), Mark Eaton, David Robinson, and Anthony Davis (by a hair.)

Mookie Blaylock had slightly more steals than turnovers, which is really impressive considering he was a guard.

BigtimeNBAFan
09-12-2020, 01:43 PM
That is actually pretty surprising since his blocks per game really dropped off during his last several seasons.

What that tells me is he was really good about not fouling guys during his career. Compare that to a guy like Shaq who always had a high foul total.

bigbrownschaub
09-12-2020, 03:23 PM
he was a killer on the court. never seen him play though