PDA

View Full Version : Why is the NBA media so desperate for Tatum to become a superstar

Rudeboy3
08-02-2020, 01:08 PM
I've legit never seen such an okay player get pushed so hard like he's the next coming of Christ. Dude had an okay 4 months, then has an unsustainable month stretch where he shot 50% from 3 and the media were tripping over themselves to crown him as the next NBA superstar, they even had the audacity to give him the POTM for February over Giannis!!! :mad: I only know it's a matter of time before nikkas start speaking blasphemy and try to say he's better than Giannis, I wouldn't put it past them. That's is how desperate they are to crown this dude

Now, the seasons back up and running and he's regressing back to mean like a mother ****er, just like before he sucks at finishing at the rim and his shooting as come back down to earth. He's the most overrated player rn in the NBA, Jaylen Brown is the best and most consistent player for the Celtics.

ImKobe
08-02-2020, 03:25 PM
Tatum washes Brown in most advanced metrics and has shown more upside as a player. Brown has been more consistent in his role, but he isn't quite as advanced offensively.

ArbitraryWater
08-02-2020, 03:32 PM
OP is where 60 games are a flash in the pan and 1 game is the mean

MrFonzworth
08-02-2020, 03:58 PM
They were pushing him as the next Kobe, the media needs one now more than ever. Unfortunately Tatum isn't it.

imdaman99
08-02-2020, 04:10 PM
He's more exciting than Giannis that's for sure. He's more skilled than him. Does that mean he's better than him? No, so calm down.

Lion's pride
08-02-2020, 04:23 PM
Hope you watching a game Now. Tatum looking like Kobe out there

ArbitraryWater
08-02-2020, 05:11 PM
Tatum 26 pts, 9/15, 5/7 from 3

Yikes

Lion's pride
08-02-2020, 05:16 PM
Tatum 26 pts, 9/15, 5/7 from 3

Yikes

Tatum has true take over a game ability's, but one constant with him is he is 1 of the better The fenders in the game and got at minimum always makes them a valuable player. Boy when he is on he is truly it as hot to God is just about anyone

tontoz
08-02-2020, 06:03 PM
33/8 right on queue.

https://hosting.photobucket.com/albums/g195/tontoz/.highres/abandonthread_zpshrdexpqz.gif (https://app.photobucket.com/u/tontoz/p/6a01d0bc-f29f-4e37-b01e-df6a2916b8cb)

CTbasketball92
08-03-2020, 02:03 AM
Tatum was incredible against Portland today (I'll add that Portland literally has nobody that can come close to defending him as they've lost all their wing defenders, and that, in addition to Nurk being gone, is the reason they've been so awful this year).

But I agree with the premise of this thread. It happens when people have aesthetically appealing games and are young.

Tatum spent half of this year scoring at like a 52 TS% and then he started getting really hot from long range.

But he's not great at breaking down defenders, isn't a pure midrange shooter or a great finisher and the three-ball can come and go.

He's a great defender and looks like he can be an all-star level scorer at least, if not an All-NBA-level one. I think he'll top out as a top 15 player.

But I don't think he's there yet and the media seems to really want this to happen idk. I could try to think of examples but I'm exhausted

GimmeThat
08-03-2020, 02:17 AM
well, you can't learn anything if you can't think straight, but you sure can be a reflection of others misery

tontoz
08-03-2020, 02:22 AM
Tatum went to Duke and was a top 3 pick so he came into the league with more hype than most guys. I don't see anything unusual about it.

ArbitraryWater
08-03-2020, 05:57 AM
Tatum was incredible against Portland today (I'll add that Portland literally has nobody that can come close to defending him as they've lost all their wing defenders, and that, in addition to Nurk being gone, is the reason they've been so awful this year).

But I agree with the premise of this thread. It happens when people have aesthetically appealing games and are young.

Tatum spent half of this year scoring at like a 52 TS% and then he started getting really hot from long range.

But he's not great at breaking down defenders, isn't a pure midrange shooter or a great finisher and the three-ball can come and go.

He's a great defender and looks like he can be an all-star level scorer at least, if not an All-NBA-level one. I think he'll top out as a top 15 player.

But I don't think he's there yet and the media seems to really want this to happen idk. I could try to think of examples but I'm exhausted

The media doesnt „want“ it to happen, its simply happening.

And what do you mean by breaking down defenders? Blowing by them? 1 on 1?

coin24
08-03-2020, 06:59 AM
Same can be said for Zion. The media is desperate for a superstar and so is the league. Unfortunately once lebron is done, and that day is fast approaching, the league doesn't really have a big draw card left.

What they are doing now, going full retard with the BLM garbage is driving away even more fans..

CTbasketball92
08-03-2020, 03:50 PM
The media doesnt „want“ it to happen, its simply happening.

And what do you mean by breaking down defenders? Blowing by them? 1 on 1?

I think Tatum has had two games shooting 1/17 this year. He's had a TON of games shooting well below 40% from the field.

To date, he's a very streaky scorer. I would hold off on what's happening and what's not. His scoring was bolstered by shooting 50% from three. That won't hold up.

Yes he cannot consistently break defenders down off the dribble and get to the rim. He's not a great finisher. His scoring is very much tied to how many threes he can make. He's coming off a crazy hot streak and has a 56 TS%, so that could go down a good amount.

I'd bet on him topping out as a top 15 or so player. That's really good, but people talk about him like he and Luka Doncic are peers and are close to each other, but they simply are not.

ArbitraryWater
08-03-2020, 04:18 PM
I think Tatum has had two games shooting 1/17 this year. He's had a TON of games shooting well below 40% from the field.

To date, he's a very streaky scorer. I would hold off on what's happening and what's not. His scoring was bolstered by shooting 50% from three. That won't hold up.

Yes he cannot consistently break defenders down off the dribble and get to the rim. He's not a great finisher. His scoring is very much tied to how many threes he can make. He's coming off a crazy hot streak and has a 56 TS%, so that could go down a good amount.

I'd bet on him topping out as a top 15 or so player. That's really good, but people talk about him like he and Luka Doncic are peers and are close to each other, but they simply are not.

You realize he has shot the 3 ball at an elite rate his whole career?

Lion's pride
08-03-2020, 04:59 PM

Tatum is perhaps one of the best "forwards" at "breaking down a defender... He literally killed all 3 of Kawhi PG (broke his ankles) and Lebron in a 2 game stretch of 40 points by killing them every which way possible.. Do you actually watch the games??

CTbasketball92
08-03-2020, 05:07 PM
You realize he has shot the 3 ball at an elite rate his whole career?

He's a good shooter but if he can't get to the line or the rim a lot and he's not an elite midrange shooter I think that puts a cap on his scoring by a good amount

Lebron23
08-03-2020, 05:11 PM
Same reasons why they over hyped Grant Hill in the 1990's. Both were a product of Duke.

ArbitraryWater
08-03-2020, 05:36 PM
He's a good shooter but if he can't get to the line or the rim a lot and he's not an elite midrange shooter I think that puts a cap on his scoring by a good amount

I dont think you understand bball much bro. Or your vision is clouded.

Just went back to watch some gms, Tatum's set up out of the halfcourt is extremely capable. Can drive with ease.

Real Men Wear Green
08-03-2020, 05:41 PM
He's a good shooter but if he can't get to the line or the rim a lot and he's not an elite midrange shooter I think that puts a cap on his scoring by a good amountHe's averaging over 23 points at 21 years old. He's going to be a great scorer.

Lebron23
08-03-2020, 05:51 PM
Tatum is having a better season than a 21 years old Kobe Bryant.