PDA

View Full Version : Hypothetical: Bird returns in 1996. What kind of success does he have?

insidious301
07-28-2020, 11:31 PM
I read a similar question that posed in a blog I have now forgotten. Had me thinking about the possibilities however. In 92, Bird’s last year, he averaged 20pts, 10reb, 7ast and played 37 mpg. Fast forward to 1996. Magic makes his return and averaged 15pts, 6reb, 7ast in just 30mpg. The Lakers made the playoffs with him coming off the bench. They also caught fire after his return, winning 8 of their first 9 games. How would Bird fair in comparison? Most of us know he had back problems however that never deterred his feel for the game. Boston wasn’t very good either, finishing 8 games out of the playoff hunt. Do they get better with Larry? What kind of numbers does he put up?

jlip
07-28-2020, 11:55 PM
Did you see how Bird struggled in pain to play his final season? Yes. He was still a great player, but no "feel for the game" can compensate for excruciating pain and discomfort. I remember hearing him mention how difficult it was to even play for the Dream Team. Plus, Bird is three years older than Magic. In '96 he would have been 40 years old with more back pain.

Lion's pride
07-29-2020, 12:47 AM
I read a similar question that posed in a blog I have now forgotten. Had me thinking about the possibilities however. In 92, Bird’s last year, he averaged 20pts, 10reb, 7ast and played 37 mpg. Fast forward to 1996. Magic makes his return and averaged 15pts, 6reb, 7ast in just 30mpg. The Lakers made the playoffs with him coming off the bench. They also caught fire after his return, winning 8 of their first 9 games. How would Bird fair in comparison? Most of us know he had back problems however that never deterred his feel for the game. Boston wasn’t very good either, finishing 8 games out of the playoff hunt. Do they get better with Larry? What kind of numbers does he put up?

Obviously that was no chance for bird to return from a back injury even as a coach he had a hard time sitting on the bench with Pain
.. But I think your question poses a more hypothetical. What if bird was able to return healthy but just old, is of more fair question. And my answer is his basketball IQ and shooting would still have made an impact, but his ability to play defense would have been a much more challenging situation. Larry Bird would have been strictly a stretch 4 with skills not a 3. I would love to have thought in a right situation he could have really helped a good team become great but no way could he have returned to a badd Boston Celtic team and made a major impact at his age. Just my opinion though

GimmeThat
07-29-2020, 03:12 AM
I think you would have had to follow the guy for about a year prior, and match the guys salary in medical staff. It's not so much whether or not he would have had success, but how it affects the League's image, by having such a high medical bill for guys that are, literally, 40 years old, just so they can stay in the league.

86Celtics
07-29-2020, 04:51 AM
A healthy Bird would improve a bad Celtics team by some games maybe enough to give them a playoff birth. But that would be it. Nobody can beat time and by 96 Bird was 40 years old.

iamgine
07-29-2020, 05:13 AM
Well a 39 years old with back problem, returning after 3 years of inactivity.

I can see him getting injured in training camp.

guy
07-29-2020, 09:00 AM
He would've been terrible. Completely different from Magic's situation. He was 3 years older, but more importantly his physical injury is completely different from Magic's sickness that was only an issue if he ever actually got AIDS. Magic essentially still retired at the top of his game and he stayed healthy from a physical standpoint up until the time he returned. By the time Bird retired, he wasn't even a top 10 player anymore cause of his injury and he continued to suffer from his injury.

rawimpact
07-29-2020, 09:02 AM
Probably takes another ring away from Jordan

SouBeachTalents
07-29-2020, 09:08 AM
Probably takes another ring away from Jordan
:oldlol:

insidious301
07-29-2020, 11:54 AM
So most of you don't think he could even make a comeback. Fair enough. His back pain, as I referenced in my OP, was in fact debilitating. 4 years is a big layoff and though I don't know if sports-medicine and training made huge leaps, one would assume it improved. From my point of view, Bird could've came off the bench playing 20-23 minutes a game. I could see him going 14/5/4 on 47-50%fg. A limited role, yes. His leadership, shooting and "feel" would have positive impact though.

Any others who think Bird could have played? If so, what does he look like statistically?

Phoenix
07-29-2020, 12:30 PM
Without the back issue and just coming back at 40? Maybe some limited action as a stretch 4 but that's about it. With it back in 96? There's no way he could have come back from a physical standpoint. It's a testament to his skills and IQ that he was able to limp his way to 20/10/7 in 92 but 4 years of natural attrition and coming back at 40 with his back issue? Whatever they could have done medically, I just don't think there's justification for it. And Larry doesn't strike me as a guy who would have hung around or came back when he was far removed from being an all-star level player.

Magic was different. When he retired ( and I don't mean the very brief comeback at the beginning of the 93 season), he was 2nd in MVP voting. He left the game in much better shape( the virus aside of course) as far as being able to play.

iamgine
07-29-2020, 12:50 PM
So most of you don't think he could even make a comeback. Fair enough. His back pain, as I referenced in my OP, was in fact debilitating. 4 years is a big layoff and though I don't know if sports-medicine and training made huge leaps, one would assume it improved. From my point of view, Bird could've came off the bench playing 20-23 minutes a game. I could see him going 14/5/4 on 47-50%fg. A limited role, yes. His leadership, shooting and "feel" would have positive impact though.

Any others who think Bird could have played? If so, what does he look like statistically?

wtf that's like peak Manu number.:lol

Roundball_Rock
07-29-2020, 01:06 PM
Plus, in addition to their different health situations and status prior to retirement, we are talking different ages. Magic was 36 in 96', Bird would be 39.

The Magic comeback wasn't as successful as it initially was (the Lakers had a similar initial boost when he became coach of the Lakers a few years earlier): they lost in the first round as a higher seed.