PDA

View Full Version : Why did Eddie Jones decline so swiftly?

ArbitraryWater
05-19-2020, 06:38 AM
Reminded of him in another topic.

He went from 17 to 13 ppg within a year, which obviously had to do with Wade's progress and losing some of his role, but he never got even close back there and further decreased on other teams also.

ralph_i_el
05-19-2020, 06:54 AM
He turned 33, plenty of guys have fallen off completely by that point.

His shooting efficiency went up, but his shot attempts went way down.

He shot about 4 less shots a game. Wade shot about 4 more shots a game. I think that's the story. They also won a lot more games.

nayte
05-19-2020, 06:58 AM
To be fair he was around 33 when he got to wade. You would expect that

ArbitraryWater
05-19-2020, 07:01 AM
sure he got older, but the body doesnt go from good to shit within a day...

it just always looks weird to me when without a significant injury, a player just drops off hard out of nowhere.

He turned 33, plenty of guys have fallen off completely by that point.

His shooting efficiency went up, but his shot attempts went way down.

He shot about 4 less shots a game. Wade shot about 4 more shots a game. I think that's the story. They also won a lot more games.

its true that though that it was largely a matter of volume. its not like he got worse shooting the ball.

so role/volume, but then he went to memphis and he wasnt trusted with more shots/bigger role like before.

Phoenix
05-19-2020, 07:01 AM
He was 33/34 when Shaq and Wade took over the team. Not an age where you were likely to see any bounceback to prior form. I barely remember Eddie after he left the Heat TBH and had to look up how he finished out his career.

ArbitraryWater
05-19-2020, 07:03 AM
He was 33/34 when Shaq and Wade took over the team. Not an age where you were likely to see any bounceback to prior form. I barely remember Eddie after he left the Heat TBH and had to look up how he finished out his career.

yea, you just dont have an image of him in a memphis or dallas jersey.

iamgine
05-19-2020, 08:57 AM
A lot of times it's also guys play another role and get comfortable in that role. They perfected that role for a season or two and couldn't or wouldn't come back to who they were before, especially at Eddie's age.

ArbitraryWater
05-19-2020, 09:00 AM
A lot of times it's also guys play another role and get comfortable in that role. They perfected that role for a season or two and couldn't or wouldn't come back to who they were before, especially at Eddie's age.

i think thats a huge unmentioned part to players.

players settle into that role if they play it for a couple yrs..

they dont have that the will or want to particularly do the work they did before again.

i dont mean that theyre slacking but, they just gelled into that role and dont go back to demanding more shots again.

Overdrive
05-19-2020, 10:41 AM
He never was the most efficient scorer. Further decrasing touches kills such guys.