PDA

View Full Version : Can Michael Jordan guard Giannis Antentekoumpou??

Lebron23
05-13-2020, 08:55 AM
How many points will Giannis score if MJ defend him? Giannis is probably the best rim attacker besides Prime LeBron in nba history.

Real Men Wear Green
05-13-2020, 10:19 AM
No solitary defender can do that plus Antetokunmpo is out of his height and weight class. The job would mainly fall to Rodman or Horace Grant pre-Rodman. MJ would most likely be on Eric Bledsoe with significant time on Middleton when Pippen was resting.

LeCroix
05-13-2020, 10:30 AM
Nope, he just cant. Too small in a 2010 modern ball mans league and no Pip to help out on defense.

Michael is used to guarding small bas scorers, guys like starks,ehlo , hornacek, terey porter, and so on

Reggie43
05-13-2020, 10:40 AM
A 96 Jordan defends him the same way Kawhi does but with better defensive fundamentals and quicker hands thus causing more turnovers.

Real Men Wear Green
05-13-2020, 12:32 PM
A 96 Jordan defends him the same way Kawhi does but with better defensive fundamentals and quicker hands thus causing more turnovers.

I'm not sure about that mainly because I don't recall MJ defending bigs in the paint and that would be the best way for Giannis to attack Jordan. The James stan in this thread is being an idiot acting like Jordan wouldn't be able to guard modern players but Antetokuonmpo specifically is a bad matchup. Guy is basically Shawn Kemp one he gets within 8 feet of the basket. Except he's even more unstoppable. Skinny Shaq or something. Jordan could guard anyone out on the perimeter really anyone 6'7 or shorter. But guarding Giannis would be like Mayweather fighting Anthony Joshua. He's the greater fighter but it's too much of a size mismatch.

ralph_i_el
05-13-2020, 12:38 PM
His combo of quickness and length means he can only be guarded 1-on-1 by a handful of guys with similar characteristics. If you try to guard him with a wing, you have to throw strategic double teams at him and force him to make decisions. You can force him into turnovers or make his teammates beat you.

I can't think of a team better than some of those Bulls teams to stop Giannis.

Reggie43
05-13-2020, 12:54 PM
I'm not sure about that mainly because I don't recall MJ defending bigs in the paint and that would be the best way for Giannis to attack Jordan. The James stan in this thread is being an idiot acting like Jordan wouldn't be able to guard modern players but Antetokuonmpo specifically is a bad matchup. Guy is basically Shawn Kemp one he gets within 8 feet of the basket. Except he's even more unstoppable. Skinny Shaq or something. Jordan could guard anyone out on the perimeter really anyone 6'7 or shorter. But guarding Giannis would be like Mayweather fighting Anthony Joshua. He's the greater fighter but it's too much of a size mismatch.

I was thinking he could defend Giannis on the dribble drive coming from the outside but when he gets deep enough he has to rely on helpside defense like most teams do. Definitely not inside one on one with good post position.

Phoenix
05-13-2020, 12:54 PM
I was looking at the youtube clips of Kawhi guarding Giannis in the playoffs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0XvWwy5KZVI

He was up on him as much as current rules allowed and Freak did get to the rim a number of times but blew some make-able layups rushing, and he didn't have the jumpshot to fall back on. MJ has the footspeed and lateral movement to make penetration tough but if Giannis does get to the rim it's obviously a physical mismatch. Kawhi's a bit bigger than MJ but that's about the closest you'll find to how that would play out.

Mamba4Life
05-13-2020, 01:18 PM
He wouldn’t be able to guard anyone taller than 6’5 in today’s league

Dr Hawk
05-13-2020, 01:27 PM
Michael's quickness and defensive instincts would be a pain for Giannis.

Akeem34TheDream
05-13-2020, 01:33 PM
Kawhi is taller, longer, bigger and stronger. Has Jordan ever defended a big? And why would he tbh?

Bronbron23
05-13-2020, 05:04 PM
How many points will Giannis score if MJ defend him? Giannis is probably the best rim attacker besides Prime LeBron in nba history.

In a one on one match up no. In a team setting he probably could. Kawhi did a pretty good job gaurding him and hes only a bit longer than mj. Hed obviously need help in the post though.