PDA

View Full Version : Jordan's Game Is Simply Aesthetically The Most Pleasing

Soundwave
04-17-2020, 11:00 PM
Don't get me wrong, there are lots of the great athletes since prime Jordan, even guys like Wade, Kobe, Leonard that try to play a similar style, but there's been no one before and no one since Jordan with the same combo of agility (especially in mid-air), quickness, coordination I find.

Even leaping ability, yes there are plenty of guys who can jump high like a LaVine, but I find Jordan's leaping ability to be other-worldly, prime Jordan (circa 1991) it's weird to describe, but it's like there's springs in his legs rather than him just jumping like a normal person.

There just isn't a player like him in the same way.

Kobe tried to emulate it but he didn't quite have the same body control in the air or the same "hang time" as it were. Not even 2nd 3peat Jordan ... was still fun to watch and could turn it on when he wanted to, but the effortless explosiveness from 85-93 Jordan is simply a work of art.

The two highlights here against the Nets at 17:10 onwards ... there's being able to jump high and dunk hard, tons of players can do that, but stuff like this is ridiculos.

https://youtu.be/jcRuItRQ6_s?t=1030

Whatever mold this guy was made from it just seems like it can't be replicated. He elevated play in mid-air into an art form that captivated the world.

Vragrant
04-17-2020, 11:10 PM
MJ was not just a basketball player, he was an artist.

Also athletically is the most complete leaper I've seen. He can jump off one foot or 2 feet at an elite level. Usually players can do one or
the other. Also he was lightning quick off the floor, and had quick 2nd and 3rd jumps(tip ins). He was also a broad jumper which is rare.
Broad jumpers are the type of athletes that compete in the long jump, who can both jump high and far at the same time. There's a reason
his free throw dunk hasn't really been duplicated in over 30 years.

FKAri
04-17-2020, 11:37 PM
Kobe did have a similar level body control in the air as well as overall coordination. He didn't have MJ's athleticism and that may have made it appear that he lacked those things.

If we go to lower heights then you will most certainly encounter players with better coordination + body control than both.

SamuraiSWISH
04-17-2020, 11:51 PM
MJ was not just a basketball player, he was an artist.

Also athletically is the most complete leaper I've seen. He can jump off one foot or 2 feet at an elite level. Usually players can do one or
the other. Also he was lightning quick off the floor, and had quick 2nd and 3rd jumps(tip ins). He was also a broad jumper which is rare.
Broad jumpers are the type of athletes that compete in the long jump, who can both jump high and far at the same time. There's a reason
his free throw dunk hasn't really been duplicated in over 30 years.
Totally true. Esp on the put back dunks ... the level of athleticism and instinctual genius to do that ONCE let alone the 5-6 times he did it.

That’s something that can’t be practiced or like Kobe, an amazing athlete himself (not to the same level as Jordan) couldn’t copy or replicate.

Hell there’s been a lot of influx of amazing athletes since that era and nobody has replicated the in game put back dunk like Jordan did. There was a few times where he caught it so far back, so high, pulled it back himself and threw it down.

His dexterity and body control in mid air no less was other worldly. That twisting contorting layup vs the Nets. Good lord. Never been replicated either. The mid air brilliance and sheer awe inducing athleticism. Insane.

OP is spot on ... the artistry is unparalleled. The combo of graceful skill and power when needed be. Closest we have come from a skillful perspective is Kobe but the whole package of artistry skill and sexiness with domination and absurd godly athleticism hasn’t been matched yet.

Stephonit
04-17-2020, 11:53 PM
Which sells more tickets? Globetrotters or professional dunkers?

Soundwave
04-18-2020, 02:02 AM
Even guys like Kobe, Kawhi, Wade can't really do stuff like this and make it look the same

https://media.giphy.com/media/vaSe96Gch1Eys/giphy.gif

https://i.imgur.com/FwFnCu1.gif

There's just no player that has the same combination of agility, leaping ability, and body control.

The Nets player on the bench is about to fall out of his seat, lol.

Beyond that there's just something different about the way Jordan "jumps", it's like there's a weird spring-ey effect or some kind of lack of gravity or something that happens.

Like it's so damn weird, I've never seen it since, lots of guys can power up and jump high, but there was something different about how quick a younger Jordan could get off the floor and then hang in the air.

He has hands down IMO the greatest ability to hang in the air and control his body in the air in the history of the NBA. Other guys are pretty good but ultimately come off almost clumsy by comparison.